Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Basement Finishing and Renovations

Basement Finishing and Renovations Has it been 2 years already? Time to work on finishing the basement into some extra living space.

Old 2014-06-23, 02:40 PM
Regular User

Default Spray Foam/Building Code Question

I recently finished framing my basement, and the building inspector came out for a site visit. He approved everything, but he mentioned that my stud placement in relation to the concrete would require me to take an additional step.

Because the spray foam I'm using meets the "vapour barrier" requirement, it counts as a vapour barrier. The problem is, my studs are 1 1/2" out from the wall. In order for the spray foam to create a proper barrier (according to him), it needs to be a full 2" thick - which it can't be behind my studs.

The result is that my spray foam counts as a vapour barrier in the stud cavities, but not in behind each stud. The inspector said I could use something like "Dulux Vapour Barrier Paint" to "protect" each stud.

I'm not entirely sure I understand but basically, there needs to be a continuous vapour barrier along the wall. I have that with the exception of in behind each stud. He said I could paint this stuff on the front/sides of each stud, or use poly.

My question is, is there an easier/quicker way to do this that hasn't been suggested yet? That paint is probably expensive and it'll take a while to paint each stud. On the other hand, I'm not sure I want to cut 300 pieces of poly for each stud in my basement.

It's too late to move the walls out. They're in there now, and moving them would be more time consuming than either of the above solutions.

Anyone else experience this?
Old 2014-06-23, 02:51 PM
Regular User

Hire a student... they're plentiful now LOL
Old 2014-06-23, 03:03 PM
Regular User

Or just put poly everywhere.
Old 2014-06-23, 03:23 PM
Regular User

Would this not create a double VP? OP never heard of what you are experiencing....
Old 2014-06-23, 03:24 PM
Regular User

Yes - he said poly everywhere would create a double VP and possibly lead to "vapour lock". Kind of like what's going on inside my brain at the moment. Haha.
Old 2014-06-23, 07:59 PM
Regular User

I don't see any way to seal poly against the foam ... so that wont work. Surprised he would accept that.

Suggest you check with dulux re cost and to see if it is sprayable. That would go quickly.

Last edited by good2know; 2014-06-23 at 08:02 PM.
Old 2014-06-24, 08:31 AM
Regular User

I explained the problem to my wife last night and she's volunteered to help me with the paint. She claims it won't be a big deal if both of us have small rollers - we shall see. I'm a little peeved because I used bluwood and now I'm painting over 3/4" of the stud face. It seems in a way like I'm painting over mould resistant material with a paint which may or may not be mould resistant. Dah well...

I'm surprised there isn't more on the web about this. Everything I read in my research said placing the studs 1" - 2" away from the concrete wall was "perfect" for spray foam. Having said that, there wasn't a lot of material online about this at all.

In the future, any walls I build will be 2" away from the concrete so I can avoid having to use this freakin' paint.

Say - I'm going to have the HVAC guy in soon and wiring soon after that...perhaps it's time for a progress thread. Hmmm...

Last edited by TheGrudge; 2014-06-24 at 08:33 AM.
Old 2014-06-24, 09:31 AM
Regular User

This is a long shot but I found when I spoke with the inspectors at City of Burlington, they all had different views and opinions of spray foam and what they deemed acceptable...hence my choice to go with rigid, roxul and VP however call or flip insta insulation in burlington an email, they are HOH's spray foam guys of choice and they may be able to add some insight or atleast provide you with some direction in your particular situation. I find it odd what they are asking you to do.....
Old 2014-06-24, 12:23 PM
Regular User

Yes it is strange they are asking you to do this...I spray foamed my basement and the studs were only 1 1/2 inches away from the wall. Inspector did not have any issue with this whatsoever. It didn't even come up in conversation.
Old 2014-06-25, 03:29 PM
Regular User

Same here.

framed 1.5" and some spots 2", but issue was never raised by either Insta-Insulation nor inspector. Maple area.