Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2014-07-15, 12:32 AM
Regular User

Default re-shingle portion of roof?

We are in a single family home in ottawa. It's about 12 years old and we noticed the lower section of our roof (looking out our bedrooms) has a lot of wear and curled shingles. THis is only on the south side. The rest of the roof looks perfect.

Is it possible to just have the worn section replaced? Would this not be advised?

Thanks
Old 2014-07-15, 08:23 AM
Regular User

I wouldn't bother just changing the worn section because the rest will have to be replaced soon enough. In my experience 25 year shingles last 12-15 years before they start to need replacement - especially on the south/west sides of your home.
Old 2014-07-15, 08:37 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerapau View Post
I wouldn't bother just changing the worn section because the rest will have to be replaced soon enough. In my experience 25 year shingles last 12-15 years before they start to need replacement - especially on the south/west sides of your home.
then again, if the worn area starts leaking, it will create a big mess inside. If it were me I would a roofing company come have a look and get an estimate. I'd have no problem doing a small part if it meant peace of mind, then do the bigger part when it is due.
Old 2014-07-15, 08:49 AM
Regular User

Sounds like you have limited air flow in that bump out. The shingles get hot and wear out faster. Replacing just those is fine if the rest are in good shape.

Is there an upper downspout draining on to that roof?
Old 2014-07-15, 11:16 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjc View Post
then again, if the worn area starts leaking, it will create a big mess inside. If it were me I would a roofing company come have a look and get an estimate. I'd have no problem doing a small part if it meant peace of mind, then do the bigger part when it is due.
Maybe I wasn't quite clear. I wasn't saying don't bother changing the bad spot. What I was saying is that depending on how big the bad spot is it may not be worth just doing that one spot. If the rest of the roof will need changing soon then do it all (of course cost becomes an issue). But in my experience, if we are talking the basic builder grade shingles I wouldn't expect the rest of the roof to last much longer before it all has to be changed. I don't think I have seen 25-year shingles ever last 25 years.

I did miss where the op mentioned that the rest of the roof still looks perfect though. If that is the case then yes, you can just replace the worn area without any problems. But check for the issues mentioned and if there is an air flow problem in the area make sure to mention it to the roofers later on when you do replace the whole roof.
Old 2014-07-15, 01:06 PM
Regular User

Funny how design changes make this question tricky to answer. Houses these days have multiple roof segments that don't touch each other. Many have three - over front entry, main upper roof, and over a one storey section in the rear usually over kitchen/ family room and/ or roof covered deck.

My suggestion is to replace all the shingles on op's first storey roof that is under bedroom windows. A patch could be done but will never blend in. I think we are all saying the same thing

Never let curled shingles stay on a builder roof for long. High risk because there is no layer to shed water under the shingles. Something people should ask for at options time.
Old 2014-07-15, 07:26 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
Funny how design changes make this question tricky to answer. Houses these days have multiple roof segments that don't touch each other. Many have three - over front entry, main upper roof, and over a one storey section in the rear usually over kitchen/ family room and/ or roof covered deck.

My suggestion is to replace all the shingles on op's first storey roof that is under bedroom windows. A patch could be done but will never blend in. I think we are all saying the same thing

Never let curled shingles stay on a builder roof for long. High risk because there is no layer to shed water under the shingles. Something people should ask for at options time.
You nailed it. It's the bottom portion directly over the family room and kitchen. I took a peek from a distance at the top portion with binoculars and it seems in good shape....much like the front.

I'll check around for quotes to just replace the shingles in the lower - separate - section.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.