Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Basement Finishing and Renovations

Basement Finishing and Renovations Has it been 2 years already? Time to work on finishing the basement into some extra living space.

Old 2014-10-14, 09:35 AM
Regular User

Hi,

I hired someone to do it, so it's important to remember that if you hire someone it is THEIR responsibility to get the permit.

The first electrician I had in tried desperately to have me submit the permit and that's only allowed if you, the home-owner does the wiring.

With an electrician hired, he filed for the permit.

I happened to be home on the day of the inspection. The ESA guy came in, looked around and then briefly counted the items on each circuit. He then pointed out a few minor issues, and then proceeded to put a sticker on the fuse panel.

That's about it.
Old 2014-10-19, 01:02 PM
Regular User

From what I've been through...

For ESA.. homeowner is only non-licensed person who can do electrical work. either do it yourself or hire a pro. You cannot have your friend or brother who knows what he's doing do it for you. funny, but they will be sticky on that if you talk too much.

Basic process for something like a simple basement is...

Call ESA and get permit, when you do this ask what days the inspector comes to your area, also ask for his contact info in case you have any questions (if they will give it to you).

Do your rough-in work first, after framing but before anything gets covered up. Rough-in is installing all boxes and properly feed and secure wire. Pull your wire into the box, strip it, make any pigtails you need, attach your grounds to the box and leave the rest for them to see.

Once rough-in passes, they will let you insulate and drywall and then the next ESA inspection will be the final where all devices and plates need to be on, panel connections made and marked and so on.
Old 2014-10-26, 05:33 PM
Regular User

Nice, Thank you.
Old 2014-10-27, 10:10 AM
Regular User

Im in the process of doing electrical now.

I added 3way switches top and btm of basement stairs to an existing circuit.
Would I be right to assume upon inspection these switches need to come off?

Also, would I be right to assume that My OTR microwave (which has its own receptacle) which is also on this circuit has to be given its own circuit? It replaced a hood fan. code book says yes unless its a plug in...?

thanks in advance!