Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Stouffville > Stouffville - Mattamy On Main and Wheler’S Mill

Stouffville - Mattamy On Main and Wheler’S Mill For residents and soon-to-be residents of Mattamys On Main and Wheler's Mill.

Old 2007-01-31, 02:31 PM
Regular User

Angry Energy Contract Scam - Door to Door

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to let you know to be very careful of a company called "SUMMIT ENERGY." My wife was home alone for a little while the day we moved in and she got US into a potential problem. Here's their pitch:

SE rep: "Hi, we just wanted to make sure you have all of your utitilies setup and running?"

My wife: "I'm not sure - I think my husband has taken care of all this"

SE rep: "Okay, well what we can do is have you fill this sheet out (and sign) and we'll call you back in a few weeks after you've reviewed the information to make sure you're all setup"

My wife: "Okay, that's fine ..."

So they called back last night on my wife's cell (luckily I was right there) and they asked "is everything ready to go with your utilities (gas, hydro etc.)?" My wife told them "Yes, we have everything, thanks."

Well it turns out, by saying 'yes', she bound a 5 year contract with this company for flat rates on hydro and gas. She had no idea! They just kept it very vague and all my wife figured is that they were checking to see if we had our services.

Anyway, I thought I'd post a warning to all of you.

I ended up doing a 411 on the company and found them in Mississauga. I was able to put a stop to this whole thing only because I called the day we "bound" the contract.

Jon
State Farm Agent, Stouffville

Jon & Kate
10 Ken Laushway
Old 2007-01-31, 03:24 PM
Regular User

That guy came to my door (wearing a white hard hat, I might add) and he had the form on a clipboard, but the clip covered most of the logo. He told me I "needed" to sign the form in order to receive my gas bill. I told him I already GOT my bill from Enbridge a few weeks ago. So he said that was for the gas, not the supplying of the gas.

I confronted him and asked him who he worked for, he showed me some name badge for a company I'd never heard of. Now that you've mentioned Summit, it rang a bell. He kept hassling me saying that gas prices were going up and if I wanted to keep a lower rate I had to sign. So I asked him (as with Direct Energy) if he had info he could leave with me and he said no. I had to tell him I wasn't interested about 5 times and then also told him that I'd take my chances with the gas price before he'd stop talking.

The white hard hat was the only reason I even opened the door. Scammers...

Interesting point: gas prices went down almost 4cents this bill.
Old 2007-01-31, 03:29 PM
Regular User

Man...what a load of BS these guys a slinging...

KF
#7 Walter Sangster Road, L4A 0J8
Eldon 'D' - 4 Bedroom
MOVED IN!
http://www.thefrasers.ca/MOM
Old 2007-01-31, 04:28 PM
Regular User

they came by here one night when i wasn't home yet as well, Laurie told them to go away but they were persistant... she just told them to come back when i was home, and they did later that night (3 of them!)

i just let the one guy talk and talk and i just nodded my head and smiled until he came to the part where he wanted me to 'go get the utility bills' so he could 'check them' for me :wink:

him and his friends didn't like it much when my mood suddenly changed and i told him there was no way in hell he was ever going to see anything like that... he tried one time after that to say 'even though you are getting overcharged?' i told him i would pay the gas company whatever the hell they wanted for gas. He didn't know how to deal with it... if you act a little crazy (not much of a stretch for me) they don't know how to handle you and they go away.

Sean & Laurie
Bassett Elev \'B\'
Wheler's Mill
MOVED IN!
Old 2007-01-31, 06:06 PM
Regular User

Default Summit!

So, I've got Summits Address, and phone # ect....I suggest maybe a little Mattamy Road Trip to Mississauga....

or possibly everyone call them on one day and harrass them and such. Could be fun an in evil kind of way. ha ha. Or could be a fun get to know yoru neighbour thing. Nothing like a nice lynch squad, ha ha.
Old 2007-01-31, 08:38 PM
Regular User

They came to my door to, wearing the hard hat and all. They also told me that they were a supplier for Embridge. Hmm should of gone with my first thaught.

Nicola

Lot 94R Fred Silvester.
Closing Jan 3/2007
Old 2007-01-31, 08:48 PM
Administrator

http://www.buildinghomes.ca/wiki/ind.../Gas_Suppliers
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2007-02-01, 02:58 AM
Regular User

Default Scammers

The way I see it... If I dont invite you on my property, then dont step foot on it. Dont try and scam me or my wife by some BS conversation. We should become like the states, have hand guns in our home and confront strangers that step on our property or ring our door bell trying to pull a fast one. Maybe Im exaggerating a bit, but I cant stand to be bothered at my place of residence, let alone have someone try and scam me...

Old 2007-02-01, 09:34 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by the thompsons
So, I've got Summits Address, and phone # ect....I suggest maybe a little Mattamy Road Trip to Mississauga....

or possibly everyone call them on one day and harrass them and such. Could be fun an in evil kind of way. ha ha. Or could be a fun get to know yoru neighbour thing. Nothing like a nice lynch squad, ha ha.
I like the way you think

Sean & Laurie
Bassett Elev \'B\'
Wheler's Mill
MOVED IN!
Old 2007-02-01, 09:58 AM
Administrator

You do not have to be polite. Just say no thank-you and tell them to leave. If they don't leave then tell them again. If they still don't leave, YELL at them and they will leave.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/