Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Peel Region > Mississauga

Mississauga Cachet Estate, Bond Homes, Arista, Mattamy, Daniels, Fieldgate, Great Gulf, Heathwood, Greenpark, Regal Crest, Legend Homes, Paradise Homes, Remington Homes, Saberwood, Sundance, Fernbrook, Stone Manor, Townwood and more!

Old 2007-08-16, 02:47 PM

Post Neighbourhoods of Churchill construction

Hi there.

Just wondering if anyone bought a house in Neighbourhoods of Churchill. I got a call from a Gret Gulf Homes Rep to say that they will start construction within a month and would like me to visit their decor center to discuss the pre-construction options available to me.

I saw in mississauga.ca that the property I bought already has a building permit. I am slated to close on Sep. 2008 so I'm not sure if I will close early. Also, I'm not sure if anyone has decided on what upgrades they'll do for the house.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by mcvrsv; 2007-08-16 at 02:49 PM. Reason: title spelling change
Old 2008-02-18, 09:12 AM

Did you already pick your upgrades?

I bought my first home from Great Gulf in Neighbourhoods of Churchill 6 yrs ago and had a very good experience. Our house was 3 months delayed.

We have bought our second home now from Remington Homes which is closing later this year. We've just picked our upgrades. What an eye opener!!!
Old 2008-02-27, 01:04 PM

Yes we did. As far as upgrades were concerned, we picked them in August last year. They started construction early (finished the basement on November), so we are confident that they would be early (considering the other houses they built in other areas in Mississauga). Our formal closing date is Sept. 2008.

Old 2008-02-28, 04:40 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKtoStay View Post
Did you already pick your upgrades?

I bought my first home from Great Gulf in Neighbourhoods of Churchill 6 yrs ago and had a very good experience. Our house was 3 months delayed.

We have bought our second home now from Remington Homes which is closing later this year. We've just picked our upgrades. What an eye opener!!!
SKtoStay can you elaborate on the eye opener?... was Remington better or worse than GG?
Old 2008-03-18, 07:01 PM

Default Upgrades

I found that the upgrades at GG were cheaper (but that was 6 years ago too). They also had a greater selection.

Remington is giving a lot more in their standards than GG did (ie gas fireplace, nicer trim and light swithes, hardwood flooring in some rooms etc).

Remington had very little choices for cabinetry and arborite countertops. We didn't go with granite because we priced it with a supplier for half of what the builder is charging. They didn't even offer cultered marble which was my first choice for the bathrooms.

We only upgraded things that we know we'd have problems with installing later, like the cabinet trim for the undercabinet lighting (you can't get that to match later), smooth ceilings, exterior french doors etc. These are hardly "wow factors" when you walk in a house but we ended up spending over $18K in simple, hardly noticable upgrades. That is the eye opener. Hardwood flooring was $17 a square foot!!!! + no credit for any of the standards that were removed.

sktostay
Old 2008-03-18, 07:04 PM

Default Closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvrsv View Post
Yes we did. As far as upgrades were concerned, we picked them in August last year. They started construction early (finished the basement on November), so we are confident that they would be early (considering the other houses they built in other areas in Mississauga). Our formal closing date is Sept. 2008.
Great Gulf started our house in October 2001 and we closed in February 2002. They were really quick once they started building.

sktostay
Old 2008-03-25, 08:25 AM

Default Upgrades and Closing

Sktostay,

Thanks for your post. I asked a few friends about upgrades, and their builders did charge a lot more than Great Gulf. I chose plywood subfloor and it cost me around 1K for a 2300sf house. A premium upgraded carpet underpad from GGH costs around $700. A less quality upgraded carpet underpad in my previous townhouse builder costs me $900 on a much smaller area - and this was in 2000! They really charge a lot less in upgrades than other builders.

I also noticed that there are some houses in Neighbourhoods of Churchill location that look like they are already completed. Ours already has a frame and we are just waiting for our framewalk anytime soon.

Thanks.

mcvrsv

Old 2008-03-31, 12:15 AM

Default What is a Framewalk??

What is a Framewalk? Our house is completed framed with a roof and we've never heard of this. Please explain.

thx,
sktostay
Old 2008-03-31, 01:12 AM
Regular User

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKtoStay View Post
Hardwood flooring was $17 a square foot!!!! + no credit for any of the standards that were removed.
Wow, but what's new So those hardwood floors are actually costing you more like $20 sq. ft., since the standard carpet is already paid for & you will not get any credit back!

We all know builders overcharge quite a bit on hardwood especially. I always advise people you can save a lot of money by doing this after closing Some people like the convenience of moving in & it's all finished but you end up paying for it! The only upgrades that I recommend doing is the things that cannot be done later, usually structural stuff or things that are much harder to do after closing. Anything "cosmetic" can be done later for less $$.

BTW, welcome to BuildingHomes Looks like we're going to get some more action here in Mississauga finally

Last edited by patrob; 2008-03-31 at 01:16 AM.
Old 2008-03-31, 08:17 AM

Default Framewalk explanation

Hi sktostay.

A framewalk is when the builder allows you to see all your upgrades, etc. before the walls are put in. This way you see the whole frame of the house, the wires, the inside of your house a few months before your PDI. Mattamy does this with their customers, so I think this should be a standard to other builders as well.

I'll bring my camera so that I know where the wires, plumbing, HVAC, etc. are when I go into my house.

I think at that point the builder has a more fixed schedule of when you can move in.

Thanks.

mcvrsv