Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2007-12-23, 08:53 PM
Regular User

Default Painting During the First Year?

So I've been in my house almost 3 weeks and already the blandness of the "builder's beige" walls is driving me nuts. I know I will not be waiting one year to paint, but my question is, is it really a big deal to paint in the first year?

I asked the Richcraft guy this question during my PDI and he said the only reason people are usually cautioned not to paint in the first year is that if they have to fix nail pops, they will not re-paint the wall in your new colour. I figure, if that's the only reason, then I'm not waiting. I can re-paint over a repair no problem.

Does anyone know any other reason why I should not paint in the first year?
Old 2007-12-23, 10:11 PM
Regular User

That's the only reason. I painted every single room of my house before I moved in! 24 gallons in total..
Old 2007-12-23, 11:06 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart242 View Post
That's the only reason. I painted every single room of my house before I moved in! 24 gallons in total..

Yikes!! Thats a LOT of paint!!

I plan to paint the basement floor as soon as the house closes. I will probably be storing stuff down there and hope to finish the basement after the 2 yr period is up.
I find a painted floor (over cement) keeps the dust down and makes it easier to keep clean. If they do have a problem with the basement in that first 2 yrs then the painted floor shouldn't cause any problem I would think.

Moved in finally September 25th '08!!

Old 2007-12-24, 08:51 AM
Regular User

Yup, my friend is in her Richcraft town and all she does is complain about the cheap paint. She actually paid for them to paint it so it stings even more. She can't even wipe the wall without it leaving a mark.

I am gonna paint my Richcraft single after closing over the free paint they give.

Is there special paint for basement floors?

Kelly
Old 2007-12-24, 09:56 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyM View Post

Kelly

Yes there is but its marked as such when you buy it. Anyone in the paint dept can steer you to the right one. You can also get acrylic so there is less smell.

At Home Depot its called Porch & Floor paint

Mattamy gave us 4 choices of paint colour so I don't expect to have to paint too soon after moving in.

Old 2007-12-25, 12:35 PM
Regular User

Everyone's personal preference as to whether or not to paint the first year is different because it depends on your sitution. Most builder use screws in the walls as oppose to nails, so there isn't much nail pops these days (so I'm told).

If you can live with touching up things yourself, then all means go to town and have fun painting. With our situation we have 2 young children and know our walls are going to get marked up, a lot, so we are waiting a couple of years until they are older to paint.

Here's a paint caculator if you need one:
http://www.benjaminmoore.ca/howto/paint_calculator.aspx

Have fun.
Old 2007-12-26, 03:30 PM
Regular User

My husband and I have started painting our townhouse and we moved in last July! We started with the powder room and plan to move on to the rest of the house in the new year.

We figured that the only reason we should wait is because of potential nail-pops, but we've only had one or two so far...I say go for it!!

-Barbara
Old 2007-12-26, 09:22 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Whoa! What did you move into, a cathedral?!

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. There's some painting in my immediate future, me thinks...
Old 2007-12-29, 11:47 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyM View Post
Based on everything I've read on the mikeholmesfanforum, concrete floors should NOT be painted because it doesn't allow the concrete to dry.
Old 2007-12-30, 02:29 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Based on everything I've read on the mikeholmesfanforum, concrete floors should NOT be painted because it doesn't allow the concrete to dry.
I guess I better not invite Mike Holmes over to my place then cause my basement floors have been painted for over 17 yrs now... lol

Never had any problem with them. I wonder if there is a drying time recommended for "new" cement floors?
Painting them sure keeps the cement dust down. I wonder why then they make paint "specifically" for cement floors if its not ok to paint them?

I can see its not a good idea in a garage because when wet the floor would be slippery.