Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Chit Chat

Chit Chat General chit chat that doesn't have to be specific to home ownership.

Old 2008-03-10, 01:10 AM
Regular User

I have worked with Ford Beofre and I know that Tyota and HOnda uses most of the parts from the same manufacturers except for transmission and engine offcourse as far as North America is concerned.

Also with repsect to Hybrid you will never pay off the difference between the hybrid and normal fuel car during the use of the car even if gass goes to 1:40 a litre as predicted. You can buy it for environment yes but not for saving money because cost offset at the start is just too much to bbreak even during the normal life of a car.
Old 2008-03-10, 07:57 PM
Regular User

Domestics aren't bad per se, but they're just nowhere near as refined as the imports. While my Mazda is decent for fit and finish in the interior, it's still not as good as Honda/Toyota. Honda/Toyota aren't perfect by any means. Ever notice how Hondas seem to rust after 10 years or so? Drives me nuts, but I'll take the good with the bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddassir View Post
Well, if you like Mazda, Ford owns atleast 33% of Mazda in North America. And both Brands usually have same engine. E.g 4 cyl Fusion has engine of Mazda 6, while 6 cylinder Mazda 6 has engine of Ford.

I think when you mention the fit and finish issues you are definitely referring to the brand I dont like either, but I wont mention name here. But it doesn't mean all North American cars are bad.

Sure Toyota and Honda are selling there cars in the whole world. They should definitely be best, but still they are not perfect in any way. You can still like other cars based on some features, that might not be present in the others.
Old 2008-03-11, 09:32 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddassir View Post
Well, if you like Mazda, Ford owns atleast 33% of Mazda in North America. And both Brands usually have same engine. E.g 4 cyl Fusion has engine of Mazda 6, while 6 cylinder Mazda 6 has engine of Ford.

I think when you mention the fit and finish issues you are definitely referring to the brand I dont like either, but I wont mention name here. But it doesn't mean all North American cars are bad.

Sure Toyota and Honda are selling there cars in the whole world. They should definitely be best, but still they are not perfect in any way. You can still like other cars based on some features, that might not be present in the others.
I would love to own an Audi A8 but it doesn't mean that I can afford it

For people interested in buying hybrid vehicles, you may want to look at purchasing one before our government cancels the ecoAUTO program

More breaks for the corporations and not to the average Joes like you and me

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/02/a...ebate-program/
Old 2008-03-11, 10:48 PM
Regular User

My statement is actually correct, as price is an important feature..
Old 2008-03-14, 11:55 PM
Regular User

What do you think about the 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer?
Old 2008-03-24, 11:42 AM
Regular User

Cool

Just bought an '08 Lancer for my son... he absolutely loves it.

Handles nicely, rides smooth, good fuel economy, peppy engine, GREAT Warranty, no problem with almost 15k on it! Apparently resale value is exceptionally good on them as well. Would definitely recommend.. its also quite attractive!

As for North American vs. Import...

Ive always been a huge fan of buying domestic.. but i think im gonna turn the tables this time...

My last 2 domestic cars '03 Lincoln LS V8 and '06 Explorer were both rustbuckets. They depreciated faster than any vehicle i have ever seen.. i paid $47k for the ls.. and with 61 km i got $16,000 for it in 06! The explorer is nothing but problems, cant wait for the finance to be up!

Ive come to understand the meaning of ford...

F-Fix
O-or
R-Repair
D-Daily

or better yet...

F-Found
O-on
R-Road
D-Dead
Old 2008-03-24, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Hey, I have a few Ford vehicles. The '97 E250, '02 Escape XLT and '02 Mazda Protege LX.

The E250 has 365K on it. My only problem is it's now rusting. The engine runs well.

The Escape is doing great, I just don't get to drive it that often anymore.

The Mazda is my wifes, 150K and she maintains it pretty well.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2008-03-24, 12:18 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by remax47 View Post
Just bought an '08 Lancer for my son... he absolutely loves it.

Handles nicely, rides smooth, good fuel economy, peppy engine, GREAT Warranty, no problem with almost 15k on it! Apparently resale value is exceptionally good on them as well. Would definitely recommend.. its also quite attractive!

As for North American vs. Import...

Ive always been a huge fan of buying domestic.. but i think im gonna turn the tables this time...

My last 2 domestic cars '03 Lincoln LS V8 and '06 Explorer were both rustbuckets. They depreciated faster than any vehicle i have ever seen.. i paid $47k for the ls.. and with 61 km i got $16,000 for it in 06! The explorer is nothing but problems, cant wait for the finance to be up!

Ive come to understand the meaning of ford...

F-Fix
O-or
R-Repair
D-Daily

or better yet...

F-Found
O-on
R-Road
D-Dead
wow..

There might be some exceptional case with your explorer. Might be poor maintenance. I could understand if you mentioned about Chrysler, but definitely not Ford. Ford does have technologies of all these companies as well, that helps making Ford tough.

Mazda
Jaguar
Volvo
Mercury

I absolutely love my Ford Fusion. If you ever come to Ottawa by taking 416 north, you would have experienced air pressure shaking your car. I had this issue with all my other cars but Fusion is really comfortable in this.

For depreciating values, I would say, that is just the consumers who make the pricing, which is definitely not fair, as many immigrants try to show their royalty to the makes they have been used to, many others also follow that. Because Toyota/Honda are being sold all over the world, makes it easier choice for people already used to about it. And it is totally not fair to the other manufacturers who really try hard and give you incentives to buy their vehicles.

Also North American manufacturers pay their employees better rate then Japanese who have their plants. Once I was looking the IT job opportunities
in Toyota plant in America. The job description was like this:

Salary 55,000-65,000

Skills needed
Programming experience in .... (dont remember the languages they asked for)
Software architecture experience
Project Management experience..
and blah blah blah..

Seriously, you are asking to get a whole senior level IT department in one person and you are paying him like a junior programmer????
Old 2008-03-24, 12:45 PM
Regular User

Smile

We had a 1995 Ford Thunderbird SC (Super Charged) for 6 1/2 years & when we got it new (demo) we paid around $31,000 plus taxes back in Nov. 1995. When we were selling it in May 2002, we sold for $10,500 privately. So we did not have the typical Ford depreciation problem but that's probably because those models were a bit more rare & there were many enthusiasts looking to buy them, also last year production & low mileage with proper maintenance helped too. So that's probably a reason why the value stayed so high. It had its share of problems but thanks to our expended bumper-to-bumper warranty, we just paid a $50 deductible each time a repair was needed This was the best investment we ever made $1,600, we usually don't buy extended warranties

Right now we have a 2002 BMW X5 V8 & so far no problems, just routine maintenance & just replaced our battery. The car is barely driven only has 53,000km Handles very well, quite fast for an SUV...so looks like we will be keeping it for quite some time...

Last edited by patrob; 2008-03-24 at 12:47 PM.
Old 2008-03-24, 09:15 PM
Regular User

Both vehicles were maintained under a ford maintenance/lincoln maintenance plan.. routine service every 3 months, they both had problems, especially the explorer from day one. The only car ive been completely satisfied with was my wifes 98 ford taurus.. worked like a charm til 250k!