Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Chit Chat

Chit Chat General chit chat that doesn't have to be specific to home ownership.

Old 2008-04-02, 06:45 PM
Regular User

Default Flies?!

Hi everyone,
This is kind of a random question, so I decided to ask it in this Chit Chat section.

After moving into our new townhouse last summer we noticed we had a fair number of flies in the house. I can remember coming home from work and finding 10-15 buzzing around in our bedroom. They weren't the normal type of fly...but a very slow and what I'd call dumb fly. You could kill them by taking a tissue and just plucking it from the wall/window/wherever.

Now, considering the area we are living in is very much still a construction site, I figure this is common (given the garbage etc that his around). Or is it? During the warmer weather does anybody else notice they have flies?

Just curious! Thanks!
Old 2008-04-05, 10:39 PM
Regular User

I'm still having issues with flies and we've been here since 2004.
Seems like in the winter they "sleep" and wake in the warmer weather.
They are definitely what I call stupid flies - just banging into walls mostly.

My hubby says that its because of new builds - and that they come in with the wood or insulation - but really... I find them everywhere... especially in the light fixtures...

I would love someone to tell me how to get rid of them for good as we're moving to another new build in a few months...
Old 2008-07-06, 08:04 PM
Regular User

I wonder if it has something to do with the garbage that is left in your house during construction.

When I was househunting, I visited a lot of construction sites and saw sandwich wrappers, food crumbs etc shoved in the wall of the house, food and other items all over the floor.

I doubt the construction crew do a very good job cleaning up.

I plan to visit my new place at least once every two weeks just to clean up after the workers.
Old 2008-07-06, 09:02 PM
Regular User

I dunno about flies.. but my god this has been a BAD year for earwigs!! EWWW.... I think it's the wet spring we've had.... We thought we were just cursed.. seeing them around the doors, but our neighbors all have the same complaint... EWW EARWIGS! I would take flies over earwigs anyday!
Old 2008-07-07, 08:12 AM
Regular User

I remember having the same issue when we moved into our current place back in 2003 (winter). When we moved in, it was winter and didn't see any files. However, come spring/summer, all of sudden we had flies in our home. Everyday I would go around killing them and there would be new ones for me to kill the next day.

This lasted several weeks (3, 4 maybe) and then it was all clear.