Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Chit Chat

Chit Chat General chit chat that doesn't have to be specific to home ownership.

Old 2008-06-29, 08:04 PM
Regular User

Default Critique my house!!

I am selling my house within the next few weeks. I've started to take pictures. We've cleaned every nook and cranny. We've brought over several boxes of junk to my inlaws house to declutter.

Disclaimer: these are NOT the photos I will be using in my listing and the kitchen will most DEFINITELY be totally decluttered with nothing in sight!

critique my house! Please! Do you think it shows well? what negatives do you notice? What positives? Do you hate/like my colours, furniture placement?

I have a very limited budget for improvements (like.. none!) but I just really want to make sure that I am doing an okay job of "staging" it for prospective buyers. We own a condo townhouse and our market is first time buyers I guess.

I'm also not the best photographer.. and my house is really awkward to get photos of the entire room.. so I'm doing my best!

Anyway.. OPINIONS!! Good or bad, whatever... I need to hear it before we hit the market...

The living room and dining room are one L shaped room. from where i was standing to take the dining room photo, I was in the living room.. if that makes sense.

Living room:

Dining room:

Master bedroom: (trying to figure out photostitching so i can make one big photo that shows off the window as well.)

Second bedroom:

Last edited by Katherine&Chris; 2008-06-29 at 09:13 PM.
Old 2008-06-29, 08:08 PM
Regular User

Powder room:

Bathroom:

kitchen:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! So excited to get this place listed and sold! Hopefully for a nice price too.

Last edited by Katherine&Chris; 2008-06-29 at 08:12 PM.
Old 2008-06-29, 08:48 PM
Regular User

Declutter the kitchen. Remove all the spice jars from the side of the fridge, remove oil / pot with large spoon, .. Counters should be as empty as possible (not sure abotu toaster oven, I'd be tempted to hide it if I could)

Looks clean otherwise. If it was the type of house I was looking for (size, price, ..), I'd go visit based on the pictures (unlike a lot of houses where you want to puke just by looking at the pictures)
Old 2008-06-29, 08:54 PM
Regular User

Your place is cute and cozy. I really like the hardwood floors!

Some suggestions although itís hard to tell with only a couple of pictures.

Living room,
I would add some lighter color pillows to brighten up your furniture.
Also, if the A/C is in a focal point I would move it/hide it.
The nice frame on the wall looks a bit high and maybe a tad bit too small for that wall.

Dining room:
I am not sure if itís the picture but I find the red color a bit strong for my liking. I would prefer a lighter color wall as to show more contrast with your nice hardwood floors and diner table. Also it would make the space appear larger.

Master bedroom:
Shows well. I really like it.

Washroom:
I am not sure if itís the picture but the doors of the vanity don't seem to align on the top. Really like the mirror with the dark frame. Maybe match the doors of the vanity to the frame?? Not sure. Hard to tell.

Second bedroom:
I would probably remove the table next to the dresser to open-up the room more. Also, if you have a picture next to the lamp it would be nice.

Kitchen:
Looks clean and efficient. I like it!

--------------------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/funrabbits

http://sunburstmirror.blogspot.com

Pictures from Model Homes:
http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...ead.php?t=6930

CBC Marketplace show on Spray Foam
http://www.cbc.ca/news/spray-foam-in...able-1.2224287
Old 2008-06-29, 08:59 PM
Regular User

I agree get rid of everything on your kitchen counters including dish towels, toaster over, utensils etc. nothing on the fridge. Most of the pics i liked but the living room also needs a bit of decluttering of the smaller pieces of furniture. Less is more. If you can afford it replace the red drapes with $20 white drapes from Ikea. good luck!
Old 2008-06-29, 09:02 PM
Regular User

overall it looks nice. Following things have to go (only during showing is fine.)
Living room:
All the things from the small side table
The chair and the table in front of it. (use it if there is an empty room.)

Dinning room and Master bedroom looks fine.

Second Bedroom:
The table that is tea crockery has to go with the crockery, ash tray removed from the other one.

powder room:
One towel removed.

Bathroom looks good.

Kitchen:
The spice jar has to go, the stand of spoons, the silver thing beside the toaster.(toaster iself is fine but remove things from it, on top and inside. And absolutely no display of the big cleaning cloths on the range.
Old 2008-06-29, 09:06 PM
Regular User

Your place looks great! There are only a few tweaks I would suggest.

Living room - Can you move the A/C? It seems to be the main focus of the room, and only adds to remind the buyer that there is no other form of A/C throughout...is it hide-able?

Dining room - Looks great! I would add something decorative to the top of the dining room table on show days. Maybe some flowers?

Master bedroom - Very nice. I wouldn't change a thing.

Powder room - Move the towels off of the back of the toilet and place something else there. The stack of towels is a slight distraction.

Kitchen - Looks great! But I agree with previous poster. Remove the jar of utensils and spices, if possible. Add a bowl of fruit. LOL

Other than that, it looks great. And even if those changes were not made, I would still think it would show extremely well!
Old 2008-06-29, 09:10 PM
Regular User

Yes mart! pictures are super important.. - I should have said this from the get go - these are NOT the pictures i will be using in my listing! especially that picture of the kitchen which is the only one i have right now - I didn't take it tonight and I certainly won't be using it to sell the house.. lol

Kitchen - EVERYTHING will be gone from there.. towels on the stove, toaster oven (well it's in the garbage since it broke.. haha), spice racks, dish soap etc.. clean counters are where it's at!! clutter sucks!! I just put up the pic because it's the only one i have to show the layout, colours, flooring etc.

Bathroom: I know the doors are off by about .5 inch. there is nothing i can do about it except replace the vanity (which I definitely can't afford to) because it's a crappy vanity, the wood is screwed up and warped, the holes in that section for the hinges would only go in there because it's all stripped.. blah. it makes me mad. i notice it too...

Living room: The red drapes are there to tie into the dining room wall - they are one giant room. I could go cruise home sense for some light pillows to go on the couch though! I might also get rid of the little table/stool holding the accent lamp beside the bookshelf. Other than that I don't know what furniture there is to declutter... we have a love seat, end table, chair and footstool - that's it?

that picture on the wall might just come down.. it kinda bothers me, and it IS too small for the wall.

I also tried switching the locations of the AC and chair and moving the table:

Dining room:
I added a picture to the dining room to give something to that wall- it's not centred and hung properly yet:

Bedroom 2: trashed the extra table, moved the bed to the other wall because i was told on another msg board that people like to walk up to windows and look out of them.. what do you think?

THANK YOU all for your comments - very helpful!
Old 2008-06-29, 09:12 PM
Regular User

hey mudz.. that is definitely not an ash tray... it's a glass tea light candle holder - EWW smoking!! (once i saw a listing photo that had an old man on the couch.. smoking.. no joke. ew!)

I am getting attacked over the kitchen clutter. damn me for not adding my disclaimer right up front.. LOL.. good to see that we're all on our game and in touch with reality when it comes to kitchen clutter

Last edited by Katherine&Chris; 2008-06-29 at 09:22 PM.
Old 2008-06-29, 09:17 PM
Regular User

I really like the changes you made to the living room (move of A/C and table). Much better!