Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Chit Chat

Chit Chat General chit chat that doesn't have to be specific to home ownership.

Old 2008-07-01, 12:03 AM
Regular User

Default You critiqued my house...

Taking into account our limited budget and all the suggestions we received, here's what I changed:

Guest room: set up the bed as a "day bed" kinda, and switched the place of the end table and dresser. you can now walk up to the window and look out of it and there is more floor space. Still have to dryclean all the bedding for freshness and make the bed nice. It's a stupid room and there's no way to make it work perfectly.

dining room:
Bought table runner (6 bucks at home sense!) flowers on table and added mirror on wall instead of picture.. I love the mirror.. so much.

living room: switched places of couch and chair - again. put up new sheer curtains. Bought new throw pillows. Put up picture above couch. Moved around a few lamps.

You like? I really feel that the space feels bigger and more open with the mirror and light curtains.

No change to the master bedroom - except the mirror is now gone.
Old 2008-07-01, 12:24 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine&Chris View Post
Taking into account our limited budget and all the suggestions we received, here's what I changed:

Guest room: set up the bed as a "day bed" kinda, and switched the place of the end table and dresser. you can now walk up to the window and look out of it and there is more floor space. Still have to dryclean all the bedding for freshness and make the bed nice. It's a stupid room and there's no way to make it work perfectly.

dining room:
Bought table runner (6 bucks at home sense!) flowers on table and added mirror on wall instead of picture.. I love the mirror.. so much.

living room: switched places of couch and chair - again. put up new sheer curtains. Bought new throw pillows. Put up picture above couch. Moved around a few lamps.

You like? I really feel that the space feels bigger and more open with the mirror and light curtains.

No change to the master bedroom - except the mirror is now gone.
well I must say......small things here and there have made HUGE change....and impact....Def. will Sell In A Blink....

Isn;t it amazing how minor changes makes a big difference...Mirror in dinning is the selling point..now no one look at the fan...its just MIRROR....wowwwwwww

Its more spacious and well kept.

Good Luck!

Ash
Old 2008-07-01, 12:30 AM
Regular User

Katherine, just a couple of points

1. Have you thought about painting that area with the big mirror and underneath the stairs to a more neutral color ?

2. Maybe some plants at strategic locations to make the house feel more *homie*, so to speak ?
Old 2008-07-01, 12:38 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by canabiz View Post
Katherine, just a couple of points

1. Have you thought about painting that area with the big mirror and underneath the stairs to a more neutral color ?

2. Maybe some plants at strategic locations to make the house feel more *homie*, so to speak ?
Not painting it. It looks really red in the photo but when you are standing in the room it makes a really nice accent wall because everything else around you is so beige. the photos don't do justice to just how open the room is.. you have to be standing in it to appreciate it.

I am a plant killer. We are going to make up for it by putting lots of fresh cut flowers around for showings or else "borrow" a few house plants from my inlaws
Old 2008-07-01, 09:42 PM
Regular User

Nice.. but the guest room looks too staged (ie: tea pot, book open, ..). Maybe most don't mind however..
Old 2008-07-01, 09:59 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart242 View Post
Nice.. but the guest room looks too staged (ie: tea pot, book open, ..). Maybe most don't mind however..
I agree, people might think that you are really pushing for sale, I would put tea pot beside the lamp, book in the drawer :P and remove half of the pillows. But again, I dont know if it gives different perception actually then it does in picture.
Old 2008-07-01, 11:07 PM
Regular User

I'm also not sure I really like the look of turning it into a day bed...

I think I liked the bed best on the other side of the room, so that you could walk to the window.
Old 2008-07-01, 11:31 PM
Regular User

I left the bed under the window, but made it back into a "bed". You can still walk to it and look out of it. i stared at the day bed for a day and decided i didn't like it.

to the person who said.. "people might think that you are really pushing for a sale" um.. isn't that the point of putting your house up for sale? haha.

Since it finally stopped raining we were able to tidy up our yard and garden. and i finished the bathroom (damn that stupid cock eyed door)

Old 2008-07-01, 11:39 PM
Regular User

I think the new pics above look really good. For the exterior pic i would get rid of the chairs outside and put out a nice colourful potted plant. good luck with the sale.

By the way, we put our house on the market 2 years ago (the house is 3 years old) in 3 months we did not get a single offer. After we staged it (this time around) we got multiple offers in 5 days. I'm a firm believer in staging and its not an easy thing to do yourself, its very hard to detach from your own taste and the effort you originally put into decorating your home. Find a friend whose opinions you trust and get them to do a walk through. Make sure the place seems open and inviting but not too "homey". Good luck!

Quote:
I left the bed under the window, but made it back into a "bed". You can still walk to it and look out of it. i stared at the day bed for a day and decided i didn't like it.

to the person who said.. "people might think that you are really pushing for a sale" um.. isn't that the point of putting your house up for sale? haha.

Since it finally stopped raining we were able to tidy up our yard and garden. and i finished the bathroom (damn that stupid cock eyed door)

Old 2008-07-01, 11:48 PM
Regular User

Quote:
um.. isn't that the point of putting your house up for sale? haha.
Cant resist, this answer keep coming in my evil mind.

If lets say you are single, and looking for a husband, what would happen if you wear a wedding dress while looking?

(ok.. now I should really shut up )

Last edited by Mudz; 2008-07-02 at 12:02 AM.