Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Chit Chat

Chit Chat General chit chat that doesn't have to be specific to home ownership.

Old 2008-08-17, 06:28 PM
Regular User

Default Painting - did you/will you wait for a year?

Just wondering what people have done with regards to paint. Did you wait for your one year to be up so you wouldn't have to retouch the paint from any nail pop repairs? I am trying to decide if I would rather deal with builder paint for a year than do a few touch ups.

Did you get a lot of nail pops? Our house is being built from July - January.. Don't know if that has anything to do with how many pops you'll get from the settling of the screws and wood.

Just curious
Old 2008-08-17, 07:51 PM

Default We didn't wait...

With three kids the builders paint was just not up to scratch... We painted all three kids room within two weeks of moving in and have not had to do any touch ups in their rooms and we have been in now for 18 months.. We have been really fortunate with regards to nail pops.and our home was built Nov-March..The remaining areas that we have not painted are looking really rough...we weren't happy with the builders paint at all....and to have the paint upgraded was just not worth the $$ they were charging....
Old 2008-08-17, 07:59 PM
Regular User

I am not planning on waiting...I will paint, and just touch up where any nail pops occur. They are really quite easy to fix once you learn how...
Old 2008-08-17, 08:53 PM
thunderbolt

I did upgrade the paint with the builder as I was going with white trim (reasonable for ground floor/upper floor upgrade) with standard paint in upper bedrooms/washrooms.

And no, I'm not going to wait for a year to repair the nailpops (got some paint to touch up). The bedroom paint is very thin so I'll be doing that within the year.

My place was built from Sep - Jan and I have had very few nailpops so far: 3 precisely (2 in the same wall).

My neighbour has already painted his entire place throughout and I know I'll do at least my bedrooms within the year. When you're painting don't scrimp, buy a good quality paint and it'll last you years
Old 2008-08-17, 09:01 PM
Regular User

thanks for the feedback. A friend of mine lives in a home buy our builder and she said the builders "paint" was crap - you can't even wash the walls without the paint coming off a bit.

My husband knows how to repair nail pops after helping his dad with tons in his last home. I think we'll definitely be going ahead with painting before the one year. I think I will plan on going on a Benjamin Moore spending spree within the first few months
Old 2008-08-20, 12:16 AM
Regular User

Well if we would have painted right after moving in, we would have to be re-painting right now. We got so many cracking corners, that by touching it up, it would still be visible So I am glad we waited. But of course every house will be diff., not everyone will get cracked corners & nail pops but we sure did So hopefully we will get to paint before Christmas since I hate the builder's crappy paint & my kids dirty fingerprints all over the house
Old 2009-01-16, 11:13 AM
Regular User

I waited just over 1 year to start painting. I only found 1 nail pop, so I'm not too worried about it. I just got sick of the off-white builders paint and noticed that it was applied very thin. I'm using Benjamin Moore for the first time and I'm happily surprised at how thick it goes on, only requiring one coat.
Old 2009-01-16, 11:42 AM
Regular User

I am planning on painting some rooms/walls. It is easier to paint before everything goes in. I understand that the builder will repair nail pops and cracks but will not paint.

I'd rather paint in an empty house and have to paint/touchup repairs then wait and paint a furnished house.
Old 2009-01-16, 11:43 AM
Regular User

One of my neighbours to be are waiting the one year. They are glad that they are waiting since they had to go in 3 times to fix portions of the ceiling (seams) that have started splitting (? opening). They did not mention anything about nail pops. Since we have similar ceilings we are planning to wait.

--------------------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/funrabbits

http://sunburstmirror.blogspot.com

Pictures from Model Homes:
http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...ead.php?t=6930

CBC Marketplace show on Spray Foam
http://www.cbc.ca/news/spray-foam-in...able-1.2224287
Old 2009-01-27, 02:01 PM
Regular User

one other reason builders like you to wait a year to paint - the light coloured super flat watered down paint they use hides drywall imperfections very well. once you put any colour in an eggshell texture on the wall you'll find tons of spots that need to be sanded, filled, or otherwise repaired. despite sanding/prepping before painting, i still had to do more sanding/repairs after the first coat revealed lots of drywall problems that i couldn't see with the builder's paint.