Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Durham Region > Durham - General

Durham - General For residents of and soon-to-be residents of Ajax, Oshawa, Pickering, Uxbridge, and Scugog

Old 2005-09-08, 12:04 PM

Default Great Gulf Homes

yay! a new forum..I am an old member of newhomesreview..loved that site. I don't know what happened to it. Hopefully I will love this one too.
I am a Great Gulf Homes-The Meadows purchaser..the overall experience has been pretty good. My experience has been better than most. I have had a terrible experience with a few individuals but considering the horror stories i have heard...we have been pretty lucky. OUr house is actually ready on time! It was completed almost 2 weeks ago but our closing is not for another 2-3 weeks.
My PDI is tomorrow. Any tips?
Old 2005-09-08, 08:12 PM

Hi Nikki
newhomesreview was a great site with lots of info.
Here is a link to an excellent PDI checklist I found hope it helps and good luck!

http://www.vtccanada.com/house/inspe...p-draft1-2.pdf
Old 2005-09-18, 11:06 PM
Regular User

We are a GGH purchaser also. We have heard so many good things about GGH.

We were at the Model Homes at the Wyndam Manor site on Saturday, September 17, 2005. It was great seeing the upgrades that are available to us. I'm glad we are getting the 9' ceilings, it makes the rooms feel bigger.

We heard the owner of the "newhomesreview" forum was having problems with the message board and had shut it down. This was the second time he had to do this. Hopefully, he will bring it back up.

So, how did your PDI go? Did GGH give you the video to watch and was it usefull?
Own a house near 10th & Hoover Park.

P.S. Username should be John
Old 2005-10-03, 12:53 PM

Default GGH

Hi. I am new to this forum. We bought our house in Ajax through Great Gulf last year and the experience has been good so far. Our house closing is one month early in Oct and we were given the option to move in Oct or original November closing. We waited until we got a sale for our current townhouse and GGH was so accomodating to get us same date for closing.
Have our PDI tomorrow. Hope all goes well.
Have not seen the inside of the house since drywall was up because of security guards. Am excited.
Old 2005-10-04, 02:18 AM

Hi. I am also new to this forum, and bought a Semi in Ajax through Great Gulf . Which model did you buy, and let us know how you're PDI
went. Good luck
Old 2005-10-05, 10:13 AM

Default PDI - Oct 04

Hello,
PDI took almost 2.5 hours. We bought the Wentworth detached model on Williamson/Westney. There were a few things incomplete. We had upgraded to cultured marble countertops and they were not installed. Inspector told us that GGH has changed manufacturers so the new product hadnt' come in it. we close on Oct 13 so if they dont' get it by then. they will install white countertops temporarily. found some scratches on master bdrm tub and a few grout fillings. GGH gave us a coupon for free duct cleaning. plus they advised us that they left some carpet and tiles for us in the basement. we were introduced to a customer service rep who booked an appt with us after closing. They will also be supplying us with some paint so that we can touch up if we need to after the move. There were paint drips and scratches on walls. nothing too noticeable though. all outlets worked correctly. they gave us the tarion homeowners package plus our warranties on windows, garage doors etc.
The sales and construction office is nearby the house so I doubt we would have any problems if we notice any defects later.
The inspector went through everything specially in the basement (furnace, circuit boards). alot to learn in one day.
we also saw the model homes of GGH Wyndham Manor and were quite impressed.
Old 2005-10-22, 05:34 PM
Regular User

Default Re: PDI - Oct 04

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaxmeadows
There were a few things incomplete. We had upgraded to cultured marble countertops and they were not installed. Inspector told us that GGH has changed manufacturers so the new product hadn't come in it. we close on Oct 13 so if they dont' get it by then. they will install white countertops temporarily.
Did you get your cultured marble yet?

We are/were also looking at the cultured marble, and was wondering if GGH had found a new supplier.
Old 2005-10-26, 02:50 PM

Default cultured marble

Yes we got our cultured marble. Was already installed at the time of closing Oct 13. So far the experience has been good. We had a customer service rep come in again, taking notes. We are missing a vanity mirror in one bathroom and a few paint drips which will be completed soon.
Old 2005-10-26, 11:25 PM
Regular User

Good stuff,

I guess they found a new supplier.
Old 2005-12-11, 08:26 PM
Regular User

Hi all,

We bought a semi (Hallmark) through GGH, Meadows of Ajax. Our closing is on April 3, 2006. I have yet to hear from the builder so I assume that we're closing on time (is that safe to assume?).

We originally bought our house back on October 18, 2004... it seems so long ago. It's our first home so we're excited.

Any tips or ideas, I'd love to hear them. I'm trying to figure out who our neighbours are, but there aren't many opportunities.

One thing that I've been disappointed with is that we're not allowed to see our house. We've tried sneaking inside many times but the security guard always makes us leave. Once (in November) we did manage to get inside our house to look at it.

I have co-workers that bought Mattamy Homes and they are actually encouraged to go look at their home during the construction phase. They are to check in with security and then they are allowed to have walk-throughs of their home.

I'm excited to move in... only 3 months, 3 weeks...