Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2009-01-15, 12:03 PM
Regular User

Default Construction of a Home Without City Approved Permits

Hello all,

I am just curious what your experience or knowledge is concerning the construction of a home.......

Last edited by DRC; 2009-06-23 at 10:20 PM.
Old 2009-01-15, 12:09 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
Has the delay of a city appoved permit delayed your closing or caused any other issues?
I know that my house is a minimum of 6 months behind schedule. My builder has been nothing but shady as to the causes of it. We had a really bad winter last year so I think the weather played a part in it and it is a well known issue that the city of Ottawa is a chaotic nightmare when it comes to getting permits so I do think that the permits were the other contributing factor.
Old 2009-01-15, 12:27 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Are you considering walking away from the deal after the 120 days period (from your original closing date) per Tarion?
yes. I'll hit my 65 days from closing before the 120 days tarion limit.

So if the builder tries to give me another delay I'll probably walk... we'll see when we get there.
Old 2009-01-15, 12:34 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Thanks guys, and lol at the dog ate the foreman

Rgauvin, have you already been issued a delay notice? If the builder does not contact you within 65 days do we have a right to walk?
2 months after purchasing my house I was given an official delay notice of 170 days...

that new revised closing date is now almost 65 days away. If they wanted to issue another major delay, it is my understanding that they have to do so 65 days before the "new" extended/revised closing date.
Old 2009-01-15, 01:00 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Wow 170 days right off the bat! I assumed you did sign thr delay notice as you are now close to the new closing. Now, what if you did not sign the delay notice of 170 days?

Reason I am asking is because I do plan on receiving a delay notice but do not plan on signing or approving it as I don't wan tto give the builder the freedom to delay as they please.
no, I did not sign. had I signed mattamy would be able to give me minor delays and other issues. By starting right off the bat with a major delay of that magnitude makes it impossible for Mattamy to give me a minor delay. If you've had a major delay already, the builder can only give you an additional minor delay if the major and minor delay add up to less then 120 days.

But hey, I freely admit I am bitter with my builder. 60 days after signing they delayed us 170.

They asked us to hide the delay and sign an amendment for 2k off the cost of the house (give me a break, 2K off a mortgage is what? 30$ a month?).

I could rant for pages about what mattamy has done and said to me but I won't. But I didn't sign the amendment.

My lawyer advised me not to sign.
Tarion Advised me not to sign.
A friend who worked for Mattamy advised me not to sign.

I didn't sign, and because of it, Mattamy has less options to delay me which is fine by me...
Old 2009-01-15, 01:19 PM
Regular User

Somewhat interesting this topic should come up; I haven't read all the posts but did watch a CBC Marketplace episode dealing with an unscrupulous builder who didn't get the necessary permits till the day of closing!

I'd definitely recommend watching the episode from last Friday's show:
http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2009/n...ares/main.html
Old 2009-01-16, 08:44 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahim Abdun-Nur View Post
Somewhat interesting this topic should come up; I haven't read all the posts but did watch a CBC Marketplace episode dealing with an unscrupulous builder who didn't get the necessary permits till the day of closing!

I'd definitely recommend watching the episode from last Friday's show:
http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2009/n...ares/main.html
Good episode, very informative! However, that seemed to be some one-off builder, you have to definitely watch out for those.