Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-05-03, 11:15 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by uki View Post
I've always wondered at how many active developments there are simultaneously in the area. My observation is that sales are more brisk at those developments closer to the existing artery of Terry Fox, such as Abbottsville Crossing (which has recently sold out), Bradley Commons, and Blackstone. So perhaps once they sold out, the areas further west will pick up the pace.

That said, based on the Fernbank Community long-term plan, the most "exciting" area should actually be around the Robert Grant/Abbott intersection, with the town centre, transit station, and mid/high-density planned. It doesn't seem that way currently though, with Robert Grant north of Abbott not even started, which would eventually be the main access to Westwood.
Once lots are sold out at Pool Creek I expect the sales at Westwood to pickup faster. But the price increase has been phenomenal. Since we signed (opening day for Westwood - i think in October) our house has gone up by 50K. I don't think this break neck pace of price increase is sustainable.

Old 2019-05-03, 06:11 PM

We're not too concern about the power lines. Our house doesn't directly face them. We like that we are in a crescent and not in a corner lot like our current house.

A few dog owners in my area don't pick up after their dogs. Which is one of the reason's we're moving. Being near the end of the crescent will likely bring dog owners in that area, so that they can walk them along the power line area where there are no homes but we'll have less grass in the front. Right now we have about 130 ft of grass facing the sidewalk.

We like the idea of backing into a park and being a bit secluded from the main road. But not knowing when the park will be build or when construction will end is a bit of a downer.

Random question: for those that have maple hardwood floors in a lighter tone, do you see a lot of the scratches/dents from the regular wear and tear? We like the Maple Rio, but our stairs will be Oak. We didn't know how that would look. We currently have darker oak and we are tired of the color and grain.

Maple: https://www.miragefloors.com/en-ca/h...lusive-smooth/

Oak version: https://www.miragefloors.com/en-ca/h...lusive-smooth/

We're likely going to put a runner in the stairs, so the oak grain would show even less.
Old 2019-05-10, 09:22 AM
Regular User

The areaís councillor is looking to get Robert Grant construction started sooner. This is a road thatís immediately north of this development.

https://www.glengower.ca/notebook/co...nfrastructure/
Old 2019-05-11, 09:52 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by uki View Post
The areaís councillor is looking to get Robert Grant construction started sooner. This is a road thatís immediately north of this development.

https://www.glengower.ca/notebook/co...nfrastructure/
I find it puzzling he says it's not slated to start until after 2031 though, because on the planning documents I've read the road is planned for 2020-2025, but the rapid transit isn't planned until after 2031. This road going through sooner would be great for the community.
Old 2019-05-13, 11:05 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stittsville resident View Post
I find it puzzling he says it's not slated to start until after 2031 though, because on the planning documents I've read the road is planned for 2020-2025, but the rapid transit isn't planned until after 2031. This road going through sooner would be great for the community.
I had gone through the same issues in Barrhaven as well. Projects that were supposed to be completed by 2017 now have been pushed far out to 2031. Development hadn't stopped though. Thousands of new homes are going in without the road infrastructure.