Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-05-07, 09:18 AM

Default Tamarack St James/Oxford models

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and am looking for some feedback. We are trying to decide between the St James model and the Oxford model. We have looked at some Oxford homes (the model home as well as ones that our friends own). But all I have to go by on the St James is the model home (which was very nicely done obviously).

Are there any St James owners here who could provide feedback on this home? What does the standard kitchen cabinets get you?
What are the countertop options?
Would anyone know how much it would cost to upgrade the hardwood to a larger width (the 5”).
Are there builder upgrades for this model you thought were worth it?
Any that are not?

Thank you!
Old 2019-05-07, 09:36 AM
Regular User

Most builders have design centre open houses where you can visit and see all the standard finishes and upgrades available. This visit can give you an understanding of whether you can build your home using the builder's standard finishes or whether you will be looking at a lot of upgrades.

The design centre will most likely not provide you with any upgrade pricing, as pricing will depend on your model and closing date. Still, I do recommend that you visit the Design Center open house prior to signing your purchase agreement to see whether the builder is able to generally meet your overall needs. It would be very disappointing to discover after you have purchased the house that the builder does not offer the options that you want in your new home.
Old 2019-05-07, 10:53 AM

That's a great idea. Can someone tell me where the Tamarack design center is? I took a look on the website and didn't see it listed (or didn't find it... i looked quickly).

Are there upgrades that people with the model recommed/are happy they did wth the builder?
Old 2019-05-07, 11:05 AM
Regular User

It's under Contact Us https://tamarackhomes.com/contact_us.php

2515 St. Laurent Boulevard
Ottawa, ON K1H 1B1

Contact them first though to see when the open house is. Remember that regular office hours are used for new homeowners to make their selections.
Old 2019-05-10, 12:22 AM

Deborah at the sales center in Poole Creek was amazing at providing us a detailed price list of the the Oxford upgrades prior to our purchase. The design center also gave us the upgraded item list of the model home (not the pricing, just the choices).

The standard granite options are limited to 4 slates only. So anything else is an upgrade. The first level upgrade is limited to 6 slates, the 2nd to 12, there are 3 more levels after that in Quartz.

Prior to our purchase, we considered the St-James because of the bigger kitchen area. The main floor is almost identical in layout. The upstairs of the St-James seemed a bit smaller. We liked the openness of the hallway in the Oxford model. We also didn't like the butler's pantry area in the St-James, the stairs make it a long narrow wall and my wife wasn't a fan of the stairs next to the dinning room, where you can see the 2nd floor when eating.

For the floor, the upgrades of the Oxford might be comparable. This is for the main floor only:

Level 1= 3765
Level 2 = 4400
Level 3 = 6520
Level 4 = 9410
Level 5 is custom pricing.

We also liked the wider planks, but settled on a smaller size that is of the same color we liked.

You should definitely go to the Design Center and check what is standard. We found that we didn't like most the standard things (sinks, faucets, carpet for bedrooms and basement, counter tops, cabinet drawers...).
Old 2019-05-10, 04:16 PM

Thank you for the feedback. Honestly it does help. Although I have tried, I have been challenged to find time to get out to the Design Center this
week
And this weekend I will need to be away so it's great to have a forum like this to ask/receive additional information.

For both models, I love how the kitchen opens up to the family room. I like how the office is on the main floor but it is kind of tucked away. Both have good sized mud rooms. I like that both have an option for a pantry. The openness of the staircase is a great feature for me. I like the location of the staircase in the Oxford more than in the St James. However, I like the dinette area in the St.James more than in the Oxford.

I found that overall, the St James feels more spacious on the main level.

In the St James, each room has a WIC which I also appealed to me.

I did not consider the hallway being narrower in the St James vs Oxford though... hmmm... good point!

I didn't mind the open staircase to the dining room in the St James but I didn't really think about it either... also a good point to consider!

I am not sure how the wall from the front door feels in the space when you enter in. At the model home, that wall is opened up into the garage (for the sales people to work out of). But when it's closed up, I wonder if it will make the space feel narrow/too long or is that not an even an issue? Can one put some sort of console table along that wall or will it just get in the way? In the Oxford model, given where the main closet is, this isn't an issue.
Does anyone have any thoughts/experience on this?

I didn't think about the narrowness of the stairs. I thought in both homes, it was okay.

In terms of the countertops, are only Granite ad Quartz the options? Would they have Corian and if so, is it very pricey?

I have 2 little kids so am debating between going the carpet route and do hardwood later (like 2-5 years) or bite the bullet and do the hardwood now with the builder. What are other people's expereince with this?

Also, Tamarack does offer finishing the basement (for a price of course). For thsoe that have chosen this option, were you happy with it? I am considering it because 1) it goes on the mortgage and 2) if there are any issues, and something would need to be repaired, the builder would repair the basement as well (depending on what the issue could be). That being said, for the same or less money, could I get something better done after market? I have zero experience on this...

Anyhow, thanks to all that are taking the time to read and to those that reply. It has been helpful.

Last edited by Meadows_tamarack; 2019-05-10 at 04:19 PM.