Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-04-23, 01:43 PM
Regular User

Question Foundation Question

Hi Phil,

I have attached some pictures of my new home's foundation that was poured recently. I noticed that the foundation was wrapped with the insulation looking material as shown in the pictures.

My first question is what kind of material is this? I am familiar with the black foundation waterproofing membrane but nothing like this.

My second question is: I have noticed that there are some damages from stones and has ripped the material. Is this something to worry about and flag to the builder right now?

Many thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-04-17 17.05.36ed.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	14672   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-04-17 17.05.38ed.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	401.4 KB
ID:	14673   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-04-17 17.05.46ed.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	382.0 KB
ID:	14674  

Last edited by koolk23; 2019-04-23 at 01:55 PM.
Old 2019-04-24, 08:56 PM
Regular User

This is a combination waterproofing and insulation system proprietary to Tremco Barrier Solutions. The product name is Tuff-N-Dry. The foundation wall is sprayed by a material that creates a waterproof membrane, then the insulating board panels are applied over the membrane. The advantage of this system is that it provides an outside thermal barrier to the foundation wall which reduces heat loss, and by keeping the foundation wall somewhat warmed during the winter, there is likely to be reduced risk of condensation on the inside surface of the foundation.

Minor damage can be tolerated.

WEB: www.ackerhome.ca
PHONE: 613-447-9660
E-MAIL: phil@ackerhome.ca
Old 2019-04-25, 02:55 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Phil Acker View Post
This is a combination waterproofing and insulation system proprietary to Tremco Barrier Solutions. The product name is Tuff-N-Dry. The foundation wall is sprayed by a material that creates a waterproof membrane, then the insulating board panels are applied over the membrane. The advantage of this system is that it provides an outside thermal barrier to the foundation wall which reduces heat loss, and by keeping the foundation wall somewhat warmed during the winter, there is likely to be reduced risk of condensation on the inside surface of the foundation.

Minor damage can be tolerated.
Many Thanks Phil.

Old 2019-05-10, 09:24 AM
Regular User

Hi Phil,

My builder advised that they got a notice form the City of Ottawa that there is a discrepancy with one of their inspections and they need to open up a hole in the garage ceiling to inspect the insulation.

Any idea what is this about? or have you seen such a a request.
Thanks!
Old 2019-05-13, 11:12 AM
Regular User

Hi Phil,

Another question: My builder is using the Silverboard Graphite XS as the insulation material for the exterior walls. Problem is they have opted to install this directly on the framing without any OSB sheathing underneath (other than the corners). So while I realize this is an approved method of installing this product, are there any concerns around rigidity of the structure? What about projectile damage during a Tornado type situation? I poured through my sales contract and I didn't see the specifics of the construction and I am wondering if there is anything that can be done at this point?

Old 2019-05-15, 12:08 AM
Regular User

Hi Phil,
PM sent.Looking for your PM response. Thank you.
Old 2019-05-15, 06:08 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsh View Post
My builder advised that they got a notice form the City of Ottawa that there is a discrepancy with one of their inspections and they need to open up a hole in the garage ceiling to inspect the insulation.

Any idea what is this about? or have you seen such a a request.
Thanks!
The City building inspectors can order a builder to take something apart if they suspect that there is a non-conformance to the Building Code. For example, if the inspector was concerned with how the insulation was installed in other houses they've inspected in the same area, they may request the builder to open up the drywall to permit the inspector to review the specific issue. This can apply to several homes, to ascertain either deviations or compliance for a specific issue.

Old 2019-05-15, 06:20 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolk23 View Post
Another question: My builder is using the Silverboard Graphite XS as the insulation material for the exterior walls. Problem is they have opted to install this directly on the framing without any OSB sheathing underneath (other than the corners). So while I realize this is an approved method of installing this product, are there any concerns around rigidity of the structure? What about projectile damage during a Tornado type situation? I poured through my sales contract and I didn't see the specifics of the construction and I am wondering if there is anything that can be done at this point?
The Ontario Building Code permits wall sheathing material which includes plywood, OSB, and rigid insulating panels. Proper attachment of the sheathing provides for a structurally sound wall assembly, with high compression and tension resilience to prevent walls distortion such as raking and twisting.

If you are in a home that is going to be hit by high winds, such as a tornado, then projectiles will go through any wood-framed wall regardless of its construction, as well as through window and door glass. My advice would be to assume that projectiles are a concern when you see a tornado coming, and head to the basement.

Old 2019-05-16, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolk23 View Post
Hi Phil,

Our builder also uses rigid XPS foam directly onto the framing, without any OSB sheathing. There are steel diagonal bracing strips on the inside of the wall to add strength.

Interestingly, Urbandale adds OSB sheathing on the exterior, on top of the rigid insulation.