Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Durham Region > Durham - General

Durham - General For residents of and soon-to-be residents of Ajax, Oshawa, Pickering, Uxbridge, and Scugog

Old 2013-08-22, 08:44 AM

Exclamation LEBOVIC HOMES PICKERING & Firm Closing

Hi there,

My fiance and I purchased a townhome in north Pickering by Lebovic Homes.

We were delayed 2 times, and given a FIRM closing of September 26th. Guess what? They are not going to make that deadline!

Does anyone have experience with their builder not meeting FIRM CLOSING date? I have yet to speak to my lawyer but plan to soon.

Anyone else purchase from Lebovic before? Any insight?
Old 2013-08-22, 01:06 PM
Administrator

I wouldn't say it's common, but it does happen often. Discuss with your lawyer what your options are and what the reasons are behind the delays.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2013-08-22, 04:32 PM
Regular User

I hope this form can help you to understand your situation.

http://www.tarion.com/Warranty-Prote...final_2008.pdf
Old 2013-08-23, 10:52 PM

Default Lebovic Homes Pickering

Similar situation. My husband and I have also bought a townhouse with Lebovic Homes old tauton. We have been delayed twice. They failed to contact us in time to ask for a delay, making our firm closing date September 16. There is no way the house will be started and completed in 1 month. The builders have contacted us for a second time now asking for a delay until after the new year. We have spoken to our lawyer.
Old 2013-09-05, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjj View Post
Similar situation. My husband and I have also bought a townhouse with Lebovic Homes old tauton. We have been delayed twice. They failed to contact us in time to ask for a delay, making our firm closing date September 16. There is no way the house will be started and completed in 1 month. The builders have contacted us for a second time now asking for a delay until after the new year. We have spoken to our lawyer.
Hi Kingjj - looks like we are neighbours! So they haven't even started construction on your home? Well hopefully you will get the Delayed Closing Compensation!

We didn't agree to the delay, which means we are taking legal action... so the sales centre ladies basically told us they will do whatever they can to get the house done quick - obviously they don't want to pay us the compensation we are entitled to! Now I'm worried craftsmanship is going to suffer.

Funny thing: If we accepted the delay, the builder was offering to throw in a garage door opener! HA HA. What a joke.
Old 2013-09-05, 10:15 AM

Hi joolia,
They just started the foundation last week! After reading the critical dates of the tarion warranty and speaking to our lawyer we decided not to sign the amendment to the contract. Why would we? It doesn't benefit us, it benefits the builder. The sales office also mentioned the only free upgrade offered was a garage door opener for compensation. I told them under the warranty we would be getting the max ($7500) for the delay ($150 a day after the firm closing date) BC there was no way the house would be finished in 50 days. I told them they should offer $7500 worth of upgrades for me to consider signing. They never got back to me. I've been asking for a closing date since June to provide the bank and I'm getting the run around from head office and the sales office. But, if I signed the amendment which I'm sure the sales office has on file the date would be right there. Its funny after refusing to sign the December amendment they called again to ask us to sign a amendment for January! I called them and said does that make any sense that your calling to ask us to sign for January when we said no to December? I think they think were stupid and didn't read the contract. At this point I'm not backing out but, I'm not signing anything either. The house still has to be built regardless if we don't sign the amendment. They still have a year after the firm closing date to build the house before we can get all our money back. I'm not losing a cent of my deposit! Keep us posted!
Old 2013-09-19, 03:39 PM

We're definitely neighbours, and we're in the same exact boat.

They called a month ago, and ASKED if they could extend our closing. We responded that the home we are currently living in has already been sold and we will not have a place to live after September.

No notice was given about further delay or anything else. FINAL closing date is Sept 27.

I called today about doing an inspection and was told it would not be ready. And that they would not know when it would be completed. We are homeless, indefinitely.
Old 2013-09-19, 04:09 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaboo View Post
We're definitely neighbours, and we're in the same exact boat.

They called a month ago, and ASKED if they could extend our closing. We responded that the home we are currently living in has already been sold and we will not have a place to live after September.

No notice was given about further delay or anything else. FINAL closing date is Sept 27.

I called today about doing an inspection and was told it would not be ready. And that they would not know when it would be completed. We are homeless, indefinitely.
Oh no! That's horrible!! So exact same thing happened to us. We actually called today too and we were told the same thing!

So I hope you guys are taking legal action and going for Delayed Closing Compensation!! Especially in your case since it seems like you guys will have to stay in a hotel until your house is ready! I'm sure that money will help!

So here's something to tell you:

Because we didn't accept the delay... they are basically rushing to complete our home as quick as they can so that they don't have to pay us that compensation we are entitled to. We were told that people on our block who accepted the delay were given a date of October 25th. SO, I'm assuming we will be in before Oct. 25th. Hope that gives you some insight. Looks like we are on the same boat.

Are you in a town? Maybe we are next door neighbours
Old 2013-09-19, 04:27 PM

Yup, a Maple.
October 25 eh? Good to know.
Old 2013-09-20, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaboo View Post
Yup, a Maple.
October 25 eh? Good to know.
Yeah. Hope that helps.