Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2011-04-11, 10:00 PM
Regular User

Default Broken Seal on Window (Monarch Homes (Stonebridge)

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do in this situation. We live in Stonebridge and have a 2007 built Monarch Home (Maple Model) and I noticed yesterday that our bedroom window is no longer sealed as there is condensation build up in between the two windows that should be sealed. Is this something that could be under any type of warranty? Does anyone know the company name for Monarch's windows? Any suggestions on what I should do or if I have any warranty would be helpful.

Thanks!
Old 2011-04-12, 03:00 AM
Regular User

From Tarion's Construction Performance Guidelines:

CONDITION
CONDENSATION FORMING BETWEEN INSULATING (FACTORY SEALED) GLASS UNIT
Acceptable Performance/Condition
Insulating glass units shall be free from condensation between the panes.
Warranty
One-Year – Work and Materials
Action
Insulating glass units with condensation between the panes shall be replaced.
Remarks
Condensation between panes indicates the airtight seal around the edge of the glass is broken.
An extended warranty may be available through the window manufacturer.

Looks like you need to check with the manufacturer, maybe ask your builder's support rep if they can lead you to the right person?
Old 2011-04-12, 06:23 AM
Regular User

there should be a label on the winsow some where on the inside track or on the window itself if its a casement
Old 2011-04-12, 08:16 AM
Regular User

We had this happen with our last house which was a new build a few years ago. It was a vinyl casement window. The window fogged up about 4 years after the house was built. I cannot recall the company we used to fix it as this was done in the GTA, but we used a window repair company (just found them on the web) that for around $200 installed a vent in the glass that removed the condensation. This completely fixed the window, we even sold the house after. It avoids having to replace the whole window pane if you are without warranty as we were (cheap builder windows!).
Old 2011-04-12, 08:17 AM
Regular User

Monarch currently uses mostly Jeld-Wen windows. There should still be a warranty for this from the manufacturer. If they are Jeld-Wen then from what I can see there is probably a lifetime warranty on the parts (for the original owner of the home - 10 years otherwise so you should be covered) and a two year warranty on the labor.
Old 2011-04-12, 08:35 AM
Regular User

My neighbour is going through the process right now. They just passed their two year mark but the window itself is still under warranty, he told me five years for his Jeld-Wen windows. The window installer will be replacing the window pane and it will cost him $69 for the labour only.
Moved In: April 10th 2010