Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-01-20, 04:23 PM
Regular User

Bumping up with a related question... we’ve had the expected ice build up on our windows. But today I noticed chunks of ice built up above our basement windows. Not on the glass, but on the vapour barrier between trusses and Along the unsealed edges of vapour barrier. Big enough chunks that I could pull them off with my hands.
I’ve never lived in a home with windows in an unfinished space, so I don’t know if this is normal. The insulation would be damp the second the ice melts if I hadn’t caught it and removed. Normal? Wet insulation and a draft doesn’t seem normal to me.
Old 2019-01-20, 06:18 PM
Regular User

Having a visualization problem...could you post a couple of pics of the problem area(s)?

Im speculating that you have significant air leakage along the rim joist area.

Ice in the wall is bad as you are saying - it melts, soaks into the insulation and starts a mold farm.
Old 2019-01-20, 06:36 PM
Regular User

I’ll try pics later. It won’t let me upload them from my phone. I’ve already emailed the builder but I’m preparing myself for a “you silly homeowner” response...
Old 2019-01-20, 06:49 PM
Regular User

Can you see these?
Old 2019-01-20, 08:09 PM
Regular User

You made me look in our new basement and I found one joist not by a window, but it has a draft and a little ice forming like yours. This isn't my first new build house, but it is my first new build in over a decade and this ever growing list of problems is just absurd.
Old 2019-01-21, 09:45 AM
Regular User

Well the good news is the ice is on the inside.

May I suggest - tonight pull out the insulation in that spot and see if there is frost behind the insulation.

Installing and sealing vapor barrier requires taking your time to do it carefully. Its harder around I shaped joists because it gaps in the corners. You have gaps plus its not sealed with tape or acoustical sealant.

There is also cold are leaking in around the rim joist. Lots of it.

A typical builder response would be ' its passed inspection by city building inspectors" so it meets code. Or 'this is what happens in extreme weather conditions' so dont worry about it.

Unless the insulation contractor missed a step that the builder expects on your house (as opposed to how they do them all) you might get some help. If it matches their standard process it could be a long and frustrating process.