Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-05-15, 10:26 AM
Regular User

Not sure where you're getting the outer edge of a roofline being the property line. Even on town rows where porches extend out or overlap at the front of the house, you'll see on the lot diagrams that the property lines don't just run straight from the outer most edges. Same thing with fencing... if you follow your lot diagrams there's nothing to hesitate about. Your downspouts don't even need to extend into the neighbours yard. Your purchase contract will outline your obligations, as will bylaws.
Old 2019-05-15, 04:51 PM
Regular User

Im not saying that the edge of the roof line is the property line. I'm saying some people might think that.

So lets say OPs property line is at the very edge of the porch (which sticks out a little past the foundation). It cant be any more left than that.

There are parts of the house roofline that stick out past the property line. So who owns that section of roof? Who owns the eves trough on it?

Other than 2 inches where it wraps around the porch edge, the downspout is on OPs property. And it actually drains on OPs property. At the end of the day, this is a trivial and nonsensical issue. I'm glad this neighbor person doesn't live beside me.

Last edited by good2know; 2019-05-16 at 07:42 AM.
Old 2019-05-16, 10:13 AM
Regular User

My eavestrough has a section that is actually on my neighbour's home as it overhangs my driveway. I was uncomfortable with this but the company said this is a normal thing. I went over to my neighbour to discuss it and they were fine with it (less for them to put up) and I went ahead.

They do have one downspout which empties on the edge of their property, that can put water on my driveway. Minor annoyance but there is a limit to where they can put them.
Old 2019-05-16, 09:02 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjuandok View Post
Not sure where you're getting the outer edge of a roofline being the property line. Even on town rows where porches extend out or overlap at the front of the house, you'll see on the lot diagrams that the property lines don't just run straight from the outer most edges. Same thing with fencing... if you follow your lot diagrams there's nothing to hesitate about. Your downspouts don't even need to extend into the neighbours yard. Your purchase contract will outline your obligations, as will bylaws.
So it turns out... .15m of my porch is actually his property... Great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190516-205241_Snapchat.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	401.8 KB
ID:	14678  
Old 2019-05-17, 07:47 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_bee View Post
This is the same case with my neighbour's home. In our case, I connected my eavestrough to this piece and the water is disposed of on the other side of my house.

So... if you neighbour doesn't like where the eavestrough is, that could be one solution. You don't have anything on that edge, and they put their eavestrough on it (or it just dumps water on their driveway).
Old 2019-05-17, 08:08 AM
Regular User

What a ridiculous situation. If the builder had installed the eaves and downspouts it would be exactly as it was installed at the OP's home and there would be no issue. The only other option is for it to drain onto the driveway which can create ice and slip hazards.

It just goes to show how some builders embrace and wrap themselves in the MINIMUM standards of the Ontario Building Code which does not require eaves.

The OBC does not require eaves because some areas of the province have so much snow that eaves can't hold up well. In those case homes need exceptional lot grading to ensure that the foundation is protected and exceptional lot grading is not something large builders are good at.

IMO large builders in Ottawa who burden their buyers with installing their own eaves and downspouts should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 2019-05-17, 09:45 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_bee View Post
No thats not correct. House parts that hang over a property line do not become the neighbors property. Its the same as the roof section.

If you and the neighbor were able to work together on this, dig a trench down a foot or so and bury a 4 inch foundation drain pipe (one with holes) out to the curb. That all gets buried under the soil and sod.

I would do nothing regarding moving the downspout.
Old 2019-05-17, 10:54 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
No thats not correct. House parts that hang over a property line do not become the neighbors property. Its the same as the roof section.
Based on that last attached photo, are you sure? I spoke with a building information officer with the city and they said that it is "his" and it becomes a civil matter.
The neighbour wants to build some sort of divider wall ON THE .15M THAT ARE "HIS" on my porch

The B.i.o also told me to go to the builder and see about having it re-surveyed . like how does 1/3 of the post on my porch, that holds up my roof, belong to him??