Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-06-04, 03:51 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemy1415 View Post
I moved in last November and nothing yet (I guess I should have received it by now right?... but I am curious as well
Our first bill took close to/or over 1 year to arrive in our two new-builds. Be careful and remember to save now!

We ended up getting some kind of land re-assessment around Fall 2017 (1 yr after move-in), all of 2017's taxes in Dec and then the 2018 taxes right on schedule....we shelled out over $10,000 in a matter of months. It hit our whole street pretty hard since most of them weren't prepared to pay two year's worth of taxes in lump sum payments.
Old 2019-06-05, 09:07 AM

Thanks Sarah2012! I had heard similar stories, definitely a good idea to save now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah2012 View Post
Our first bill took close to/or over 1 year to arrive in our two new-builds. Be careful and remember to save now!

We ended up getting some kind of land re-assessment around Fall 2017 (1 yr after move-in), all of 2017's taxes in Dec and then the 2018 taxes right on schedule....we shelled out over $10,000 in a matter of months. It hit our whole street pretty hard since most of them weren't prepared to pay two year's worth of taxes in lump sum payments.
Old 2019-06-12, 02:14 PM
Regular User

Robert grant avenue extension. Not going to be done before 2031 and beyond.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...ects-1.5160133
Old 2019-06-14, 05:27 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikka View Post
Robert grant avenue extension. Not going to be done before 2031 and beyond.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...ects-1.5160133
That's not necessarily true. Contact Glen Gower to let him know how important this project is. He's fighting to have it moved up, but keep the pressure on by supporting him on this initiative

https://www.glengower.ca/notebook/co...nfrastructure/
Old 2019-06-20, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homedude View Post
We upgraded the hardwood in our Baldwin...it cost us $4,752.00 to upgrade to a 4 1/8Ē maple hardwood (Level 13) in standard areas where level 1 hardwood is included. We also put it in our kitchen (chefís kitchen), which costs an additional $1,658.00. We also deleted the fireplace hearth and extended the hardwood to the wall, which cost an additional $54.00.

Just curious if you deleted the mantle too? We just got an inventory Baldwin with similar specs; includes a loft, chefs kitchen, hardwood staircase, relocated linear fireplace. We just not sure if we should delete the mantle or not.
Old 2019-06-21, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarpDina View Post
Just curious if you deleted the mantle too? We just got an inventory Baldwin with similar specs; includes a loft, chefs kitchen, hardwood staircase, relocated linear fireplace. We just not sure if we should delete the mantle or not.
We also bought a Baldwin in Bradley Commons with a relocated fireplace, but kept the mantle (we actually chose to extend it).
Old 2019-06-21, 09:22 AM
Regular User

Quote:
We toyed with the idea briefly but we decided against it - although we have the regular fireplace...it's all personal preference really, but we found the mantle gave our fireplace surround a nice accented touch with the stain we chose. Personally, if we would've had the linear fireplace, we probably would've deleted the mantle. It all comes down to what surround you choose and the overall look that you're going for in your house as well - some people like modern and minimalistic looks while others prefer traditional.

I really wish the design center could've generated some kind of CAD drawings to help visualize everything put together. Our design choices worked out really well but I could see where stuff could easily go wrong when selecting from small samples or from the ideas we imagine. Sometimes an idea looks good when you focus on one aspect of your design, but when you put it all together that same design idea can look out of place.
Old 2019-06-26, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homedude View Post

I really wish the design center could've generated some kind of CAD drawings to help visualize everything put together. Our design choices worked out really well but I could see where stuff could easily go wrong when selecting from small samples or from the ideas we imagine. Sometimes an idea looks good when you focus on one aspect of your design, but when you put it all together that same design idea can look out of place.
Strong agreement here. Was great to have some drawings at the appointments for the cabinetry, but more detail is always better (and might even have given room for some bolder choices).
Old 2019-06-26, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caro2019 View Post
We also bought a Baldwin in Bradley Commons with a relocated fireplace, but kept the mantle (we actually chose to extend it).
Did you get recessed sides for shelving (like the cedarbreeze model)? It seems that we have recessed wall next to our linear fireplace so Iím wondering if it would look strange to have a mantle so close to wood shelving.
Old 2019-06-27, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Did you get recessed sides for shelving (like the cedarbreeze model)? It seems that we have recessed wall next to our linear fireplace so Iím wondering if it would look strange to have a mantle so close to wood shelving.
We have the same recessed wall - I did a search on Houzz.com and found lots of images I liked where there was shelving near/next to a mantel. For me, as long as there was a fair amount of open space on the shelves (i.e. they aren't packed full), they didn't look odd to my eye.