Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2018-11-13, 08:29 AM

Default Minto Townhouses

Hi All!

My husband and I are looking to purchase our first home! I'll be honest, we both have average salaries, so for financial purposes we are looking under 400k price range. We have agreed it will be a new build and are leaning towards a Minto Executive Townhome in Barrhaven (either Harmony/Riversbend/or next phase of QP, as both our families are in the vicinity.

Just wanted to see what everyone's opinions are about the location and the current selection of Minto Executive Townhomes. We have checked out the model homes and fell in love with the Haven model, as its nice, compact and fits are current needs. We also thought about their new Laguna model but there is no model home, so we are a bit hesitant. My husband is also weary of small houses where the rooms connect, which he says makes it seems smaller?

What do you guys think about the Haven, Laguna, Monterey, and Tahoe models? and also which upgrades do you think are required. I'm not really thinking of reselling as of now, but who knows later on when we have children.

https://www.minto.com/ottawa/new-hom...Townhomes.html

Would love to hear your opinions (any current owners of these models) and thank you all!
Old 2018-11-13, 08:51 AM
Regular User

Well I bought a Haven (Quinn's Pointe). I like the floorplan because i'm not a fan of a lot of hallways or little nook areas. I thought the layout was really functional. I camped out to purchase in the block I wanted, and was lucky enough to get the Haven in exactly the row location I wanted. Buying 2 years ago, made such a huge difference in terms of price its crazy. I expect that as my particular area gets developed (phase 2, 3, 4 planned for the next 8 years), the prices will keep going up. Resale houses seem to sell super quickly.

If you're not looking for resale, than just pick the upgrades that work best for you and your budget. I chose a few flex plans, shower in ensuite, longer kitchen island, finished laundry that sort of thing (things that are hard to do later). I also did a bunch of upgrades with the finishes but the limited choice at the design center might want to make some people reconsider and do it themselves after taking possession. Did about 30k worth and the house is how I like it. All of Mintos homes now have the sidelight at the front door (some have 2). This was a horrible design decision on Minto's part. The door jambs are seriously too weak to provide any kind of security. If you can, try to talk to Minto about upgrading the door jambs to metal.
Old 2018-11-13, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjuandok View Post
Well I bought a Haven (Quinn's Pointe). I like the floorplan because i'm not a fan of a lot of hallways or little nook areas. I thought the layout was really functional. I camped out to purchase in the block I wanted, and was lucky enough to get the Haven in exactly the row location I wanted. Buying 2 years ago, made such a huge difference in terms of price its crazy. I expect that as my particular area gets developed (phase 2, 3, 4 planned for the next 8 years), the prices will keep going up. Resale houses seem to sell super quickly.

If you're not looking for resale, than just pick the upgrades that work best for you and your budget. I chose a few flex plans, shower in ensuite, longer kitchen island, finished laundry that sort of thing (things that are hard to do later). I also did a bunch of upgrades with the finishes but the limited choice at the design center might want to make some people reconsider and do it themselves after taking possession. Did about 30k worth and the house is how I like it. All of Mintos homes now have the sidelight at the front door (some have 2). This was a horrible design decision on Minto's part. The door jambs are seriously too weak to provide any kind of security. If you can, try to talk to Minto about upgrading the door jambs to metal.
Thanks hjuandok! We will definitely keep in mind about the sidelights/door jams if we do decide on buying from Minto.

You said that you selected the flex plan to extend the island? Just curious, how did you guys decorate that wall (that used to be the pantry?). That is one thing my husband is a bit iffy on, but me personally, I don't really mind. Do you have any pictures by any chance?

Did Minto allow you to upgrade any structure features that are NOT on their flex plan or booklet? I have heard from friends that they are now pretty strict on what you can upgrade and you can only upgrade what is available to everyone.

Thanks again
Old 2018-11-13, 10:39 AM
Regular User

I've been asked by friends about that wall where the pantry was and I really like it there. I personally like open spaces but I like a bit of separation also. I kept the half walls, and like them as well. I have some things in mind for that wall on the kitchen side, but if you've had a chance to visit the model home in Orleans, I really liked what they did there from the dining room side. The longer counter is something everyone likes.

I'm not sure what you mean by structural changes? You're right that Minto was really strict on no changes other than the ones they're offering to everyone. For example, I wanted them to install a shower drain that I had purchased and that was a firm no. I asked about installing a second backyard light next to patio door and again that was a firm no. When they built the little wooden patio stairs in the backyard, I asked about extending it by about 2ft and again got a no. That said, the basement bathroom rough-in was done incorrectly, and they came back to fix it, and I was able to discuss different options that were not standard. Doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 2018-11-13, 11:12 AM

My husband wondering (not sure if Minto would even allow it), to have that wall removed totally. We're just not sure if Minto would even allow that, or if that wall is actually a support wall that is required.

As well, from the model home and most of the houses I've seen online, that wall has a bunch of light switches and temperature box. We're hoping to have those moved to another spot, or at least on the inside of the wall (facing the kitchen)

thanks for all your help, definitely helped us a lot!
Old 2018-11-13, 11:27 AM
Regular User

Minto will not allow any adjustments to their plans that are not already preauthorized.

That being said, we've been very happy with our process with Minto thus far.

Less opportunities for mistakes mean less mistakes
Old 2018-11-13, 12:16 PM
Regular User

Ya they won't let you move the wall. You're right.. that wall has the air return for the first floor, an electrical outlet, and switches for 3 rooms on it. They were hesitant to make smaller changes than what you're thinking because they wouldn't be able to warranty the work. Load walls would require a redesign of the whole space, architects and such involved. Now I believe Mattamy allowed buyers to opt for higher ceilings on the main floor, but if I remember correctly, I saw that in a townhouse who's upgrades totalled 100k. Don't know if that was like a flex plan option, where they already had the design plans for it, or not.
Old 2018-11-14, 08:18 AM

Thanks again everyone! These insight definitely has helped us.

I just got an email from Minto today saying that they are releasing some more lots in Harmony and Riversbend this weekend. We're going to have to discuss again the next few days and see if we will pull the trigger

That said, I just noticed the price of the Minto Executive Towns in Barrhaven has increased price again. The Haven, we were looking at was at 380k but now is at 383k. Looks like all models increased by 3k.
Old 2018-11-14, 08:19 AM
Regular User

I would recommend getting in the market.
Old 2019-01-02, 09:25 AM

Hi all!

So we did end up buying the Haven model from Minto.

My design appointments are coming up and was wondering if you guys have any tips beforehand? My husband and I have visited the design centre once to have a quick look around. I must say (coming from a Tartan house), Minto does have a huge design centre.

We know that the Haven is a smaller size townhouse, any design tips you guys can share to make it look "roomier"? ie. white paint? light countertop? darker hardwood? more pot lights?

Thanks everyone!