Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-04-01, 03:11 PM
Regular User

Default Westwood by Richcraft, Tamarack and Claridge

Just opening the thread to see who else from this forum is in this new community? We have purchased a Tamarack single and closing in end of September.
Old 2019-04-28, 05:45 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolk23 View Post
Just opening the thread to see who else from this forum is in this new community? We have purchased a Tamarack single and closing in end of September.
which model did you select?
Old 2019-04-29, 11:26 AM
Regular User

We are getting an Oxford.

Old 2019-05-01, 10:48 PM

Hi Koolk23

My wife and I also bough an Oxford (II) in Westwood. We have our 2nd appointment with the DC this Friday. What lot are you in?

We close in November this year.
Old 2019-05-02, 08:05 AM
Regular User

We are 114 on Osterley Way. We completed the DC and closing in end of September. Where are you guys?

Old 2019-05-02, 09:03 PM

We're backing into the park. It seems like the sales aren't picking up, even though they have been consistently increasing their prices. I don't know about Claridge and Richraft, as they don't seem to update their site plans with sold lots. I figure we will be in a construction zone for 10 years at this pace.
Old 2019-05-03, 08:44 AM
Regular User

Claridge and Richcraft have sold a combined 15 towns or so and have sold less than 10 singles combined. I was just at their sales center earlier this week to look at townhomes for investment properties but all their town lots are more north (closer to the power line) and I prefer to be more south (closer to Cope drive).
Old 2019-05-03, 09:44 AM
Regular User

I've always wondered at how many active developments there are simultaneously in the area. My observation is that sales are more brisk at those developments closer to the existing artery of Terry Fox, such as Abbottsville Crossing (which has recently sold out), Bradley Commons, and Blackstone. So perhaps once they sold out, the areas further west will pick up the pace.

That said, based on the Fernbank Community long-term plan, the most "exciting" area should actually be around the Robert Grant/Abbott intersection, with the town centre, transit station, and mid/high-density planned. It doesn't seem that way currently though, with Robert Grant north of Abbott not even started, which would eventually be the main access to Westwood.

Last edited by uki; 2019-05-03 at 09:47 AM.
Old 2019-05-03, 10:15 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricsky View Post
Claridge and Richcraft have sold a combined 15 towns or so and have sold less than 10 singles combined. I was just at their sales center earlier this week to look at townhomes for investment properties but all their town lots are more north (closer to the power line) and I prefer to be more south (closer to Cope drive).
A little tangential thought of mine...

While I understand the drawback of hydro lines, especially for an investment property, I find it a bit funny for people in general to focus so much on the power line and its perceived impact on human health (I say perceived because I've yet to come across a bonafide scientific study with conclusive results on the supposed negative impact of power lines), while discounting the more positive aspects to it, such as privacy and closeness to greenery/trail that HAVE BEEN in fact proven to provide real health benefits. Heck, people even see "2 minutes from the highway" as a positive, even though studies have shown that living near highways means breathing dirty air that's associated with a number of health issues.

Perhaps it's because tall, overhead power lines are very prominent and "in your face", making people think about them a lot. Underground power lines doesn't often invoke the same reaction, even though they can actually be closer to residence vs overhead wires. Out of sight, out of mind.
Old 2019-05-03, 11:12 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by uki View Post
A little tangential thought of mine...

While I understand the drawback of hydro lines, especially for an investment property, I find it a bit funny for people in general to focus so much on the power line and its perceived impact on human health (I say perceived because I've yet to come across a bonafide scientific study with conclusive results on the supposed negative impact of power lines), while discounting the more positive aspects to it, such as privacy and closeness to greenery/trail that HAVE BEEN in fact proven to provide real health benefits. Heck, people even see "2 minutes from the highway" as a positive, even though studies have shown that living near highways means breathing dirty air that's associated with a number of health issues.

Perhaps it's because tall, overhead power lines are very prominent and "in your face", making people think about them a lot. Underground power lines doesn't often invoke the same reaction, even though they can actually be closer to residence vs overhead wires. Out of sight, out of mind.
We had originally picked a lot closer to the park but upon closer inspection it was clear that the power lines could be seen from the house. So choose to move further south. From where we are, we are expecting that the taller town homes across from us will block the view of the power lines from the home. In general the consideration with the power lines were they were an eye sore.