Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-05-11, 07:39 AM
Regular User

What a pain. I find it strange and cheap that builders don't install gutters and downspouts on the homes being built there. It would never be considered where I am in the GTA.

Yes. I know there is more snow but give me a break. This is a standard feature for modern built homes. All extra snow means is that a good and sturdy gutter installation is required.

At this point the downspout can not be simply relocated because the gutters slope towards the existing downspouts location.

This is often a problem at townhomes even when builders install them.

I have to ask - Do all builders do this in Ottawa area ?? or is it just the cheap-ass builders who omit this ??

PS - so sorry about the flooding in the area.

Last edited by Halton Home Inspector; 2019-05-11 at 07:44 AM.
Old 2019-05-11, 08:54 AM
Regular User

Some builders used to offer it standard on towns - for the very reason to keep the blocks looking consistent.

Many don't even offer it as an option now... Claims of issues with ice and snow. I think it is an Ottawa thing. I know you actually require eavestrough to pass exterior municipal inspections in Toronto and much of Southern Ontario. The city of Ottawa should do the same imo

Personally I think its the first thing you should do on moving in. Especially with all the steep valleys on homes now
- you don't want that water drilling right into the ground 2 feet from your foundation
Old 2019-05-11, 09:51 AM
Regular User

No eaves troughs, being forced into a HWT rental and basements done without framing, just wrapped. The list goes on with exclusions etc I just took for granted based on building houses in several other provinces. After going through and still living through the new home build in Ottawa experience, I would never do it again. If the market ever takes a downward spiral it will be interesting to see if any builders in Ottawa are even capable of providing good service again.
Old 2019-05-12, 06:53 AM
Regular User

I wouldn't move it, but that's just me. I think your contractor did a good job keeping it tight to your house, and you want it to run off in the lawn versus your driveway as the water will just erode your driveway over time.

From the same logic, tell your neighbour to ensure none of the water off his side of the higher main roof enters your eavesthrough and drains on your side of the house, which is obviously impossible as you share a common roof, the water has to go somewhere. The fact that you both installed/have eavestroughing is a bonus with these styles of house. You can't segregated yourself from your neighbour when you live in a townhouse, that's one of the downsides.
Old 2019-05-12, 11:01 AM
Regular User

What I find funny (and I don't mean to trivialize this issue) is the neighbour contacted the OP through social media. Whatever happened to good old-fashioned door knocking and having a quick chat?

Maybe this is the brand new world we are living in? I only have 1 or 2 older neighbour on my social media friend lists
Old 2019-05-12, 05:55 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stittsville resident View Post
I don't think the neighbour is contesting just where it drains but that the downspout is on his side of the property line. From his point of view, I can understand it. If he says nothing, he's responsible for maintaining etc. If that's the case, the only option I see is for the downspout to come down in front of your pillar and not of the side, which is his property, I'm assuming?
exactly this. He doesn't like the "look" of it. The eavesdrough company told me they put it where they did to help prevent damage if it gets hit from bringing things into the house (furniture, large items...) it could potentially not be covered by warranty in that case.
Old 2019-05-12, 05:58 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
That is a normal install on a town. Its as close to your foundation as it can go. Also there is not much roof surface being drained there. Water wont be a problem.

You will need the downspout shortened to accommodate final grade.

Can you post a pic of the garage side and entire front of the house? Wondering where the upper roof drains to.
The garage side connects to a unit that doesn't have the same roof style as ours so it would come to a hard stop at that end (plus I dont want the water running down the driveway)
The upper roof drains out of the spout pictured.
Old 2019-05-12, 06:03 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimh View Post
I am just curious about it. Any one noticed the roof above the pipe? It goes over the neighbor's property line even more than the pipe. Based on the logic of the neighbor, does that part of roof even belong to OP or not?
This is what I'd like to know as well. When I look at my plans, it shows the whole of the porch as part of my home but then there a very small dotted line that looks like a separation line and goes about right exactly where the spout is going into.
I called the eavesdrough company to come back in and re evaluate it.
Old 2019-05-12, 06:06 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by canabiz View Post
What I find funny (and I don't mean to trivialize this issue) is the neighbour contacted the OP through social media. Whatever happened to good old-fashioned door knocking and having a quick chat?

Maybe this is the brand new world we are living in? I only have 1 or 2 older neighbour on my social media friend lists
Tell me about it! Every day we wave and say good mornig/good evening, hows your day.... but he couldn't talk to me about this? When I responded I told him to meet me outside to chat lol
Old 2019-05-15, 10:04 AM
Regular User

I would change nothing. Many would say the edge of your property is the outer edge of the roofline. Who owns what on a shared exterior wall is complicated. I bet you cant wait until fence time.

Let him/her/them take you to court. They have no case.