Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2019-06-05, 11:06 AM
Regular User

Default Internet Providers

Which ISPís are people using for fiber internet? Any thoughts on Carrytel ? Our new build closes at the end of the month, and will have fiber to the home (FTTH) but we want to avoid going with Bell or Rogers. Weíre currently with Teksavvy but they arenít allowed to use Bellís fiber lines.

Thanks !
Old 2019-06-05, 11:55 AM
Regular User

A quick look at Carrytel and it appears they are offering cable based internet so if you are fibe to the home, they can't provide service anymore than Teksavvy can.

At this point, your only options are fibre (Bell or Rogers) or satellite plans (expensive and not fast).

I wish there were more options. I was on Teksavvy before I moved and I liked them.
Old 2019-06-05, 01:26 PM
Regular User

I use Carrytel currently. They're decent. I've never had any issue where I needed to contact them for support.

They're cable internet, so no where near as fast as Fibre. We'll be moving into our new build in August and we will be switching to Bell Fibre as we would like the gigabit speeds as it would benefit our servers we use at home.
Old 2019-06-06, 06:57 AM

Isn’t Rogers cable internet too? Or has that changed?

Moving to a new build later this year... is there a quality difference between Bell Fibe and Rogers ignite? My preference is to go with Rogers since I think they are more generous with their retention plans...but not sure if one is better than the other.

Also, we switched all our phone jacks to Ethernet jacks... do you need a phone jack for Fibe internet? (Currently have Bell and the modem connects with a phone jack)
Old 2019-06-06, 09:06 AM
Regular User

In new build "fibre to the home", both Bell and Rogers are fibre (Bell calls it fibe, but same thing) and both seem to have good speeds. I'm with Rogers and have been happy. I've got the IGNITE INTERNET 300u. I've got neighbours on Bell and they got an a good new home package and are happy.

The new homes don't have a "cable" so any of the cable internet options don't work.

Fibe internet isn't like DSL. You don't need a phone jack. When they connect you, it looks a lot like 'cable' and their modem can do wifi as well.
Old 2019-06-06, 10:09 AM
Regular User

Pm’ed the op with the Rogers field rep. They have access to the best deals for new customers. OP, if he helps you out, please update here but don’t put his info publicly(PMs are fine).
Old 2019-06-06, 10:51 AM
Regular User

Thanks everyone, I'll be talking to Rogers this week since I'm interested in their Gigabit internet plan.
Old 2019-06-06, 11:21 AM
Regular User

Call both Bell & Rogers and get the best deal out of them.

Usually on new built they get your info from the builder and call you with offer. We got a free internet for 6 months on bundle package from Rogers, and make sure to bargain with them.

Actually, Rogers Gigabit internet is around $48+tax a month for new activation, saw the deal at GlobalSat on 1800 Bank St. You could call Rogers and mentioned this deal

Good Luck

Last edited by alsh; 2019-06-06 at 11:23 AM.