Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2010-03-23, 07:06 PM
Regular User

Default Building a deck (cost)

Hey guys,

With the nice weather approaching...were now in search of a good contractor to build us a deck. Our only problem is we have no idea how much a deck might cost.

Does anyone know a good contractor, or better yet, what the average price for a 10 foot 10 foot deck might cost? Nothing fancy, 100 square feet with a railing on 3 sides.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 2010-03-23, 11:54 PM
Regular User

Ours cost about $1400 but we did the work ourselves. Then two years later I took the simple deck down and built a more fancy version. ( We painstakingly removed each board so we could reuses each board. It took forever!)

Last edited by mom2philip; 2010-03-24 at 09:45 AM.
Old 2010-03-24, 06:44 AM
Regular User

Figure 3-5k depending on the materials used
Old 2010-03-24, 08:26 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjc View Post
Figure 3-5k depending on the materials used
I hope this includes a BBQ and a summers supply of beer.

I built a 12x17, using pressure treated lumber for $700 a couple years ago doing the work myself.

There is a website called www.bidmyreno.com, you can post your job and have contractors bid on the work. A friend used it for his kitchen and had a great experience, you're not obligated to use any of the contractors that bid on the work.

Love my new house!
Old 2010-03-24, 09:32 AM
Regular User

3k sounds right for 100 square feet...5k is on the high side.

Thanks CB, I'll try it out.
Old 2010-03-24, 09:49 AM
Regular User

HomeDepot quoted me for $35/sqft, plus railing which cost $50/foot with Aluminium Balusters (this is for ceder material). Railing with glass costs $70/foot. I would build a nice-looking one. I think I will go with Homedepot as you don't pay until they finished the job. Other builders required 1/3 downpayment on signing, then you risk they won't finish the job on time. Also I think warranty with Homedepot is more trusty.
Anyone knows any other good trades except Bytown?
Old 2010-03-24, 01:00 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRider View Post
I hope this includes a BBQ and a summers supply of beer.

I built a 12x17, using pressure treated lumber for $700 a couple years ago doing the work myself.

There is a website called www.bidmyreno.com, you can post your job and have contractors bid on the work. A friend used it for his kitchen and had a great experience, you're not obligated to use any of the contractors that bid on the work.
well, obviously if you build it yourself it will be cheaper but my estimates are pretty accurate if you are going to hire someone. Finish in terms of pressure treated vs cedar, stairs, detail on railings, etc, will all affect the price. Make sure that they dig holes and they don't use deck blocks - some will cut the costs this way but your deck will not last.

Also, I would avoid bidmyreno.com

who knows who you are getting. Go by word of mouth and remember, you get what you pay for.

I built mine with a friend who builds decks and does renos for a living and mine is way nicer than a lot of the crap I have seen our neighbours pay good $ for.
Old 2010-03-29, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjc View Post
well, obviously if you build it yourself it will be cheaper but my estimates are pretty accurate if you are going to hire someone. Finish in terms of pressure treated vs cedar, stairs, detail on railings, etc, will all affect the price. Make sure that they dig holes and they don't use deck blocks - some will cut the costs this way but your deck will not last.

Also, I would avoid bidmyreno.com

who knows who you are getting. Go by word of mouth and remember, you get what you pay for.

I built mine with a friend who builds decks and does renos for a living and mine is way nicer than a lot of the crap I have seen our neighbours pay good $ for.
??? Why would you avoid a service that helps you get more quotes a lot more easily than using the yellow pages??? Not everyone knows a tile guy, btw. I used bidmyreno.com to find a contractor to do a tile floor and another one to fix our driveway and you still have to vet the contractors but it's a hell of a lot easier than soliciting your friends for a contact (they often tell you to avoid, anyway). I think any decent contractor nowadays has a web site and references to check out. Of the 4 friends who I know had tile work done I could literally have done a better job myself and the cost was quite high. So much for word of mouth!
Old 2010-03-29, 02:33 PM
Regular User

I would avoid it because any joe calling himself a tile guy, drywall guy, etc. can bid a job. There are too many shoddy characters out there. The yellow pages is the same.

Go by word of mouth for someone that has a good job done. My contractor does not have a website and he is outstanding. And i don't think anyone can properly bid a job without actually seeing it first. Sites like this one can offer word of mouth for just about any trade. I'd trust that over bid my reno any day.