Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Halton Region

Old 2011-06-13, 01:00 AM
Regular User

Default Branthaven - LV wiring

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experiences with pre-wiring their own home with LV wiring?

The home I'm purchasing gets a single Cat5e run in the pricing. Do they allow homebuyers to allow 3rd-parties or themselves to run their own wiring? I need to run 2x Cat6 and 2x RG6 to every room (double for great room and master), and some speaker wiring and conduits.

Could Branthaven do it for me, and if so how ridiculous will it be? Should I not mention anything to the sales guys or design guys and talk to the site lead and ask to take a weekend to do my own LV wiring?

Thoughts? Thanks!
Old 2011-06-13, 07:53 AM
Administrator

Site super. We've done Branthaven houses before.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2011-06-14, 12:57 AM
Regular User

Really? That's interesting. Today I was told that they don't sub-contract any portion of their homes (all Branthaven trades?), and that includes the buyers bringing into their own sub-contractors for insurance reasons. We're looking at Branthaven in Kitchener. How do you normally approach a site super regarding something like this?
Old 2011-06-15, 01:11 AM
Regular User

Different builder,and not guaranteed to work, but I noticed the guy was much nicer when he was *out* of the office, and away from everyone else..

When others are around, they have to toot the official horn, but when no one else is around, they tend to be more flexible and reasonable.. (seems purely discretionary, so it does not help if they're in a bad mood)

Ask to meet him at your site/lot to show something rather than make an appointment to meet him at the office.. Actually, ask him (email or txt) if/when he'll be available and around for a quick question/chat (so you don't pull him away from whatever he was working on).

I wanted some extra work done that I didn't order ahead of time, and originally the guy said no.. later when I met him in my house, I told him what I wanted, understood what the situation was, and asked what he could suggest to help me out. He was much more helpful then.