Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2012-03-15, 12:09 AM
Regular User

Hi Ned. There are a few posts in here about problems getting warranty work done. Can you comment on those?
Old 2012-03-15, 11:28 AM
Regular User

Hi,
I used Amco for the fence last year and Iím extremely satisfied with the service.
This is my second time going with them in the last 4 years and so far I donít have any problems with the fence or dealing with them.
Old 2012-03-16, 12:03 PM

The most issues to the post warranty we get, is when people wants us to replace Pressure Treated post that have cracked or twisted during the drying process. Main disadvantage of Pressure Treated lumber is that it twist and cracks when exposed to sun initially, but that is why PT lumber is cheaper than cedar. We buy our Pressure Treated lumber from Home Depot and Stittsville Home Hardware, and we have no control on which piece of lumber is going to twist or crack when exposed to sun, but some people seem to hold us responsible for cracking and twisting.

Last year we did have case where post footing broke and at the end of season we did go and fix it. Also last year we installed about 5000 post so I guess having only 1 break is a good thing.

We have reference list of about 30 places which I would be happy to provide you with if you would like to go check our work.

Ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
Hi Ned. There are a few posts in here about problems getting warranty work done. Can you comment on those?
Old 2012-03-16, 12:13 PM
Regular User

Don't need a fence at this time - I know you did a bunch on Horsehoe which all look good, and I heard zero complaints from the neighbours..
Old 2012-05-08, 11:15 PM

Can you comment on your warranty for PVC fencing and posts?

- if a post heaves/moves do to any natural cause (ie: wind, ground movement), will you come to repair it, and how long is this covered under the Amco warranty?
- if the material has a defect, what is the procedure to get it warranty replaced and are you responsible to cover the costs of labour?
- what types of defects/problems do you NOT cover under your warranty?

Thanks in advance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amco Fencing View Post
The most issues to the post warranty we get, is when people wants us to replace Pressure Treated post that have cracked or twisted during the drying process. Main disadvantage of Pressure Treated lumber is that it twist and cracks when exposed to sun initially, but that is why PT lumber is cheaper than cedar. We buy our Pressure Treated lumber from Home Depot and Stittsville Home Hardware, and we have no control on which piece of lumber is going to twist or crack when exposed to sun, but some people seem to hold us responsible for cracking and twisting.

Last year we did have case where post footing broke and at the end of season we did go and fix it. Also last year we installed about 5000 post so I guess having only 1 break is a good thing.

We have reference list of about 30 places which I would be happy to provide you with if you would like to go check our work.

Ned
Old 2012-05-10, 10:59 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoucet View Post

- if a post heaves/moves do to any natural cause (ie: wind, ground movement), will you come to repair it, and how long is this covered under the Amco warranty?
- if the material has a defect, what is the procedure to get it warranty replaced and are you responsible to cover the costs of labour?

Thanks in advance
I'm guessing it's an extremely busy time of year for Ned so I doubt he'll be checking this site on a regular basis. You should probably try to contact him using the company contact information as opposed to this blog.
Old 2013-04-19, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoucet View Post

Thanks in advance
We got extremely busy last year that I had not time to visit this site much, but to answer questions in regards to warranties

Warranty

PVC
Manufacturer (Homeland Vinyl Product Inc.) has lifetime warranty for their vinyl products. Attached copy of the warranty certificate so you can read what is covered.

Amco Fencing and Decks Inc. provides 5 years construction warranty for our TUF-FENCE PVC product. This covers any component falling off or disconnecting due to the insufficient fastening. We only do not warranty gate latch for the reason that sometimes people leave the gates open and strong winds slam the door and cause breakage of the latch. We also warranty posts heaving from the ground due to the insufficient digging depth.
You will know that you are having heaving problem if you start seeing post concrete coming up after each winter.

Our Iron product (Medallion Fence) has 20 years product warranty which I believe is the one of the biggest in the industry. Also Medallion is only product that has 1 1/4" tick rail with 5/8" picket for the standard residential line and most other products are 1" for rails and 1/2" for picket.
Here is the link to the manufacturer specs
http://medallionfence.com/4000-series-brochure.pdf

Amco Fencing has 3 years construction warranty for the iron products and they cover the same as PVC.

For wooden, chain link and decks Amco Fencing has standard 2 year construction warranty.
Wooden material does not have any warranties because it is natural product but we buy our cedar from Woodsource and Richmond Home Hardware. Woodsource carries premium grade Western Red Cedar and has been in business for at least 45 years
http://www.wood-source.com/

Pressure Treated lumber we buy from Richmond Home Hardware and you can contact owner Doug Kazda here is their contact info
http://richmondhhbc.com/

I would be happy to answer any questions you might have, you can find our contact info at
www.amcofencing.com

Last year we did project of 65 houses (fences) and 2 decks on Harthill Way and Broxburn in one shot I do not think many companies if any have such record.

Ned
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	warranty card.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	301.0 KB
ID:	10669