Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2014-06-19, 12:37 PM
Regular User

I've done some research on the monitors and they are not particularly accurate according to the stats online. Some have higher levels of accuracy, but will run you about $300. I assume the lab tests are more accurate, but I'd be interested to hear what others have encountered/learned.

Also, has anyone contacted the city about how much their test kit costs?

We are planning on getting this done in the near future.
Old 2014-06-19, 06:36 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_HighburyParkDrive View Post
I've done some research on the monitors and they are not particularly accurate according to the stats online. Some have higher levels of accuracy, but will run you about $300. I assume the lab tests are more accurate, but I'd be interested to hear what others have encountered/learned.

Also, has anyone contacted the city about how much their test kit costs?

We are planning on getting this done in the near future.
My long term reading with the $120 Safety Siren was within 10-15% of the professional 3-month test so in my experience, plenty accurate enough to give you the indication you need, and to keep an eye on levels. It's not worth spending $300 IMO - if you want to claim under Tarion you have to get a properly licensed person to do readings anyway. $120 just gets you something more convenient than the use-once mail-for-results kits.
Old 2014-06-19, 06:45 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by richyrich View Post
My long term reading with the $120 Safety Siren was within 10-15% of the professional 3-month test so in my experience, plenty accurate enough to give you the indication you need, and to keep an eye on levels. It's not worth spending $300 IMO - if you want to claim under Tarion you have to get a properly licensed person to do readings anyway. $120 just gets you something more convenient than the use-once mail-for-results kits.
It also means it can be reused by someone else. This way we can test ours and the outlaws place before and after any corrective measures, if required.

Old 2014-06-20, 05:16 PM
Regular User

Thanks for the advice and for sharing your experience with the safety siren monitor.

FYI I just called Ottawa Public Health. Their kit is $62 plus courier to the test facility (an additional $5-10) and tax. It is a minimum 3 month test. The lady I spoke to said 30 days is not enough for an accurate test.

This youtube video posted by Tarion also has some good info on coverage and the process for those of you who are interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54PhQtSBWUM

I haven't been able to locate any CNRP approved test kits, so Imagine this is where a professional comes in.

Last edited by Dan_HighburyParkDrive; 2014-06-20 at 05:20 PM.
Old 2014-06-20, 05:18 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by London2Ottawa View Post
...we can test ours and the outlaws place before and after any corrective measures, if required.
I'd watch out about lending that expensive device to the "outlaws"