Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2015-12-18, 04:13 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suezuki650 View Post
She made some good suggestions I wouldn't have thought of (if you move central vac to garage you don't have a run in the basement anymore so it's good to add in)
... crap
Old 2015-12-18, 04:26 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyingJay View Post
... crap
There's a good chance that your central vac tubing will be exposed somewhere in the basement either for the run to the garage, to your main floor inlets, or to an upstairs inlet.

Cutting central vac tubing is very straightfoward. In an afternoon, you can install a new basement inlet. It might not be in the perfect location, but hopefully it's doable.

If it's not exposed anywhere in the basement and you still want a basement inlet, it might be best to call a pro...
Old 2015-12-18, 04:32 PM
Regular User

If anyone is interested, here is a site plan for the catholic elementary school at the end of the street.

http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...ape%20Plan.PDF
Old 2015-12-18, 10:27 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Erin was my designer as well. At first I was a little frustrated as I had my upgraded in the same order as the book, and she was going room by room, but in the end it was fine and we double checked anything that was missed.

It took me about 2.5 hrs. I can't imagine how much time it would take if you hadn't planned everything. She made some good suggestions I wouldn't have thought of (if you move central vac to garage you don't have a run in the basement anymore so it's good to add in). Some things had to be done a certain way to follow the rules (you can't just delete the light in the living room, you have to add an outlet controlled by a switch).

Now I'm just second guessing myself on countertop edging and where in the garage my central vac will go.

My current garage is 2 feet wider than my new one will be. In the winter I have the motorcycle across the front, the kayak hanging from the ceiling, the snowblower tucked into the front corner, the bench with the firewood... how will this all work in the new place???? don't need the bench with the firewood but the rest?
Looks like you're getting a single car garage with a maplefield end?

Im getting a 2 car garage in my unit and I still wouldnt consider using it for any kind of storage, just too small. I would get a shed for your snowblower, lawnmower, etc. I would want the central vac in the basement as well, personally.
Old 2015-12-19, 09:27 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyingJay View Post
... crap
Adding a t or y to a cvac system is easy to do. Invest in a pipe cutter ($10) pipes elbows and inlets available at all building centres.

You could do a temporary (don't glue the joints) and then a final once your walls are in.
Old 2015-12-19, 09:33 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvg View Post
I would want the central vac in the basement as well, personally.
Cvac in garage is not a problem for the machine, and keeps the noise and dust out of the house.

If anyone has allergy issues suggest you vent basement unit to the outside.
Old 2015-12-19, 02:42 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvg View Post
Looks like you're getting a single car garage with a maplefield end?

Im getting a 2 car garage in my unit and I still wouldnt consider using it for any kind of storage, just too small. I would get a shed for your snowblower, lawnmower, etc. I would want the central vac in the basement as well, personally.
I would have loved a 2 car garage but it seems that they only come with houses much larger than I need. I'm currently in a single and yes I have the maplefield end. My current garage is well organized. In the summer the bike gets the garage so there's lots of room for everything. In the winter the bike is winterized and the car comes into the garage. In my current spot the snowblower can be taken out without moving the car. Not sure I'll be able to do that and getting a snowblower out of a shed sounds annoying. Guess I'll see when I get in.

How do the rest of you deal with snow?
Old 2015-12-19, 02:44 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
Cvac in garage is not a problem for the machine, and keeps the noise and dust out of the house.

If anyone has allergy issues suggest you vent basement unit to the outside.
I want it in the garage for that reason. Just trying to figure the best spot.
Old 2015-12-19, 03:25 PM
Regular User

Quote:
I want it in the garage for that reason. Just trying to figure the best spot.
I too have my central vac in the garage. I placed my central vac in a higher position and have room to store my snowblower underneath.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2015-12-21, 10:24 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
I too have my central vac in the garage. I placed my central vac in a higher position and have room to store my snowblower underneath.
I am looking at this Husky unit from Costco, which is quite well reviewed and will periodically go on sale. It is also, as it happens, quite short, so I think I will do the same - mount it higher and use the space below.

Thanks for all the tips about running a central vac line to the basement - I hope I am able to do this without too much difficulty. At the very least it's a lesson learned for next time.