Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2018-11-12, 06:26 AM

Default Blackstone South - "Phase 1" Mattamy

Hello everyone, kinda new here and got some questions. Any info helps

I'm aware of the other Blackstone thread, but a lot of the info in there seems dated and are all monarch.

Mattamy is expanding on the Blackstone community now that they own Monarch. It's "phase 1" for Mattamy since they just took over for monarch.

We're considering a Halflinger or Shire on a 46" lot (about 625k-680k)

Does anyone know why these houses seem to be selling slower than others?

Should we wait a bit longer? Do Mattamy still have sales or bonuses they offer at specific periods? The are offering 30k at decor right now, but I have someone tell me they got something like that -AND- 30k off the house price / architecture options. Is there something like a Christmas / winter sale worth waiting for?

We're considering some lots, is it wise to purchase 3 houses down from a potential elementary school? (with a backyard opening onto a park)

46 have a 15-20k premium? Can this be bargained? is that a lot?

Should we just go there with a real estate agent and try to bargain for whatever we can get? Has anyone had any luck here?

Found the old Monarch Shire designs online, but it looks nothing like what Mattamy is proposing and they don't have model homes yet. Are there any details on these models?

Just trying to gather as much info as possible - anything helps! Cheers
Old 2018-11-13, 07:49 AM
Regular User

My guess is that the 46' lots are slower selling because they command a higher price. Add in lot premiums and upgrades and not a lot of buyers in that price range.

Take for example the two models that you are looking at. Those are large square footage homes meaning upgrades can potentially add significantly to the final price.

Bonuses depend on the economic climate and the need for the builder to drum up sales. Past bonuses are rarely a reflection of what the builder will offer now. I am not a fan of lot premiums. It's just pure profit that the builder demands. I visited two other builders this weekend and saw lot premiums of $90,000 +.

Purchasing by a school is great if you have kids attending that school. From the site plan, the school is going on the corner of Cope and Rouncey. Both are major streets and will be quite busy with traffic anyway, and extremely busy during school hours. Adding to the traffic congestion will be new towns on both streets which will result in a lot of on street parking. Continental Avenue will not be as busy, but you will have to deal with the sounds of the school and kids out playing and out during recess. Personally, at your final price point I would avoid this area and wait for a lot further away from the school.

If you've already visited the sales centre and already registered, builders generally will not work with a realtor. You should check with Mattamy before you sign with a realtor, else you may have to pay the realtor's fees.
Old 2018-11-13, 09:15 AM
Regular User

I'll be the one to come in and say it. The larger lots aren't selling because Mattamy's smaller homes are already massive. They build huge homes with lots of wow factor at the sacrifice of quality.

We almost bought a mattamy. It was only after lots of research and talking to their site foreman that we decided against it - they use non-local suppliers, bring in lots of non-local labour, and throw homes up as fast as possible with wow factor, and end up having tons of unpaid tarion claims. (Info from one of their foreman, not me.)

I don't know if that will change now that they own Monarch, but not sure.

A couple of notes:
1) Backing onto a school/being near a school is great, but it comes with its pitfalls -- additional noise, additional traffic in the area, etc.
2) A lot premium of 15-20K is peanuts in the grand scheme of things. But it depends what you get with that. When we researched richcraft, there was a 15K lot premium for a corner and enlarged lot. I've seen them as high as 100K for a lot premium for a REALLY oversized corner lot, and as little as 5K for a bit of extra space, or a longer driveway, etc. Usually, you can't negotiate them (it sets a precedent - usually they won't negotiate the price of the house or the lot), but you can always try to negotiate in a design centre credit.

Honestly, if you like it, go for it. Everyone has difference experiences, preferences, and has heard different things.

Last edited by JCC; 2018-11-13 at 09:36 AM.
Old 2018-11-13, 09:33 AM
Regular User

Everything is potentially negotiable, but not if you don't ask (e.g. we lowered a large lot premium by 1/3 the price when going in to sign...it's a great bargaining chip).

We also built two (2) Mattamy homes and were pleased with the build quality and service (Half Moon Bay 2010 & Fairwinds 2012).

Good luck!
Old 2018-11-13, 09:37 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdarrylx View Post
Everything is potentially negotiable, but not if you don't ask (e.g. we lowered a large lot premium by 1/3 the price when going in to sign...it's a great bargaining chip).

We also built two (2) Mattamy homes and were pleased with the build quality and service (Half Moon Bay 2010 & Fairwinds 2012).

Good luck!
I guess it depends how fast things are selling, too. With this size of lot selling slower, there is absolutely an ability to negotiate things.
Old 2018-11-13, 09:54 AM
Regular User

When i bought my mattamy house it was during a buyers market(2014) therefore we had alot of negotiation power and were able to use incentives(20k off house price + 10k design credits + granite tops kitchen + rough in basement) from another location that was better suited to us in the neighborhood we were buying in. Also we manage to negotiate the lot premium down 50%. Now that it's a seller's market not sure if they will budge much, but you will never know if you don't ask.

Last edited by AirportSecurity; 2018-11-13 at 10:02 AM.
Old 2018-11-13, 10:01 PM

Thanks for all the quick replies! Lots of good stuff we needed to confirm in here, really do appreciate the information.

There 46' lots are on Continental and Rubicon place, we might opt for Rubicon place since its a bit further from the school. There's still a park across the house, and the lot premiums are exactly the same.

We realized the 15k-20k premium isn't outrageous considering we looked at Abbotsville Crossing and the lot premium for some of their 43' lots that backed onto trees/pond were between 75k-100k.

In terms of negotiation, I thought it would be difficult considering off the bat they're offering 30k in designs, so I wasn't sure which angle to start negotiating from or how hard we can push on top of that.

Sales manager mentioned she would work with a real estate agent with no problems. I've had friends buy at Abbotsville and Monahan Landing with realtors and still came out with a good deal but if the market has changed a bit, might be better to go without?

Should I use that as a bargaining chip as well? I imagine if the deal gets signed with a real estate agent, Mattamy would have to pay his/her fees so technically they can give us that instead? Other than bargaining, I don't really see the usefulness of a realtor here (correct me if I'm wrong please)
Old 2018-11-13, 10:53 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIV View Post
Hello everyone, kinda new here and got some questions. Any info helps

I'm aware of the other Blackstone thread, but a lot of the info in there seems dated and are all monarch.

Mattamy is expanding on the Blackstone community now that they own Monarch. It's "phase 1" for Mattamy since they just took over for monarch.

We're considering a Halflinger or Shire on a 46" lot (about 625k-680k)

Does anyone know why these houses seem to be selling slower than others?

Should we wait a bit longer? Do Mattamy still have sales or bonuses they offer at specific periods? The are offering 30k at decor right now, but I have someone tell me they got something like that -AND- 30k off the house price / architecture options. Is there something like a Christmas / winter sale worth waiting for?

We're considering some lots, is it wise to purchase 3 houses down from a potential elementary school? (with a backyard opening onto a park)

46 have a 15-20k premium? Can this be bargained? is that a lot?

Should we just go there with a real estate agent and try to bargain for whatever we can get? Has anyone had any luck here?

Found the old Monarch Shire designs online, but it looks nothing like what Mattamy is proposing and they don't have model homes yet. Are there any details on these models?

Just trying to gather as much info as possible - anything helps! Cheers
I remember Base price -25 K off+ 25 K design center bomus in Traditions ii in stittsville on their 38 ft lots in early 2017 with base price of 475-526 K. Towards the end when they want to finish up the community they give better design center credits as well as 25 K off base price. I would suggest be bold and ask them for 30 K off base price. Alternatively you can also ask for better elevation at base price that might be worth 10 K or more.

Worst case ask for 50 K design center credit and best elevation, so indirectly you knock 30 K off.Alternatively ask for 9 ft ceiling in base price plus best elevation that would knock 20 K off.Lot premiums are negotiable if you get lucky.

Last edited by Kikka; 2018-11-13 at 11:03 PM.
Old 2018-11-14, 09:03 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIV View Post
Thanks for all the quick replies! Lots of good stuff we needed to confirm in here, really do appreciate the information.

There 46' lots are on Continental and Rubicon place, we might opt for Rubicon place since its a bit further from the school. There's still a park across the house, and the lot premiums are exactly the same.

We realized the 15k-20k premium isn't outrageous considering we looked at Abbotsville Crossing and the lot premium for some of their 43' lots that backed onto trees/pond were between 75k-100k.

In terms of negotiation, I thought it would be difficult considering off the bat they're offering 30k in designs, so I wasn't sure which angle to start negotiating from or how hard we can push on top of that.

Sales manager mentioned she would work with a real estate agent with no problems. I've had friends buy at Abbotsville and Monahan Landing with realtors and still came out with a good deal but if the market has changed a bit, might be better to go without?

Should I use that as a bargaining chip as well? I imagine if the deal gets signed with a real estate agent, Mattamy would have to pay his/her fees so technically they can give us that instead? Other than bargaining, I don't really see the usefulness of a realtor here (correct me if I'm wrong please)
Just something to note - you probably won't use much more than 30K at the design centre, and you probably won't want to. You should ask for an overall credit (not off the price of the house, but to take off of structural changes you make, etc, as well). Again, you have the bargaining chip that they haven't been selling the larger lots well.
Old 2018-11-14, 01:21 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
Just something to note - you probably won't use much more than 30K at the design centre, and you probably won't want to. You should ask for an overall credit (not off the price of the house, but to take off of structural changes you make, etc, as well). Again, you have the bargaining chip that they haven't been selling the larger lots well.
Won't use $30k at the design center?

If you're on a budget, I guess not, but for a single home that number can get blown away quite quickly on things you wouldn't want to do afterwards for a slight savings (railings, stairs, ceiling height, smooth ceilings, pot lights, hardwood throughout, kitchen redesign, etc.)