Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2009-08-14, 10:55 AM
Regular User

Default Wall mounting of TV

Stupid question maybe but I'm curious ...

When people mount their TVs on the wall above the fireplace for example and talk about having the cable outlet right behind the TV ... whatever happens to the other boxes that interface with the TV these days. Where does the PVR go? Where does the DVD player, AV receiver etc go?

The way my TV is setup ... the cable outlet on the wall connects with the PVR which then connects to my TV.

Maybe I'm just missing something very very basic here.
Old 2009-08-14, 11:04 AM
Regular User

For my setup, I ran a conduit from where my tv will go, to where my equipment will go. In fact the conduit and a power plug is all I will have behind my tv.

The rest of my equipment connects to my reciever and that will connect to my TV through a single HDMI cable.
Old 2009-08-14, 11:04 AM
Regular User

usually just an outlet behind the TV, sometimes a conduit to where the AV equipment will be housed. the line from PVR to TV would be run through that.

some people even put all the AV stuff in a basement or closet and use an RF repeater to change the channels, settings etc.

Old 2009-08-14, 11:47 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritzup View Post
For my setup, I ran a conduit from where my tv will go, to where my equipment will go. In fact the conduit and a power plug is all I will have behind my tv.

The rest of my equipment connects to my reciever and that will connect to my TV through a single HDMI cable.
This is what I've done. Got a recessed outlet above fireplace and a conduit. Another conduit is in the corner of the room and I'm running a single HDMI cable to the TV. Actually, also run a component cable via the conduit from the receiver for my xbox 360, as my current receiver won't convert component inputs to HDMI output. Oh well, just another excuse to buy a new receiver!
Old 2009-08-14, 04:43 PM
Regular User

Run a conduit behind the fireplace. The tube goes behind the wall from the fireplace down the wall to a corner where you can put a table and put all your DVD machines/cable boxes/etc....out of the way.

We did this and it's great, everything is out of the way.

Old 2009-08-14, 05:00 PM
Regular User

I know it's a small thing, but I'm very excited for this feature of our new house once we move in!

Except we had the conduit go from the living room wall all the way into the basement, so that all the equipment is seriously out of sight. Then I'm going to pick up an Infrared (IR) repeater system (link is to one of a couple that I'm considering) so that I can still control all the boxes that will be in the basement.

Old 2009-08-14, 06:27 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenAndTamra View Post
I know it's a small thing, but I'm very excited for this feature of our new house once we move in!

Except we had the conduit go from the living room wall all the way into the basement, so that all the equipment is seriously out of sight. Then I'm going to pick up an Infrared (IR) repeater system (link is to one of a couple that I'm considering) so that I can still control all the boxes that will be in the basement.

I'm doing the same thing, except putting the equipment in our laundry room which is adjacent to the family room, and getting the IR system.
Old 2009-08-14, 07:47 PM
Regular User

We're doing the same in-the-basement setup.

Soho West - Kanata

Uh...make that Trailwest...
Old 2009-08-14, 09:14 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by noordinaryotter View Post
We're doing the same in-the-basement setup.
Yes, we're locating all equipment in the basement, with a home-brew IR system (as a backup), and an iPod touch providing remote control of home-audio and video on the TV above the fireplace (those RF universal remotes are overpriced!).
Old 2009-08-14, 10:55 PM
Administrator

I usually place everything beside the fireplace for clients. Ocassionally we place everything in the basement, or in another room.

Don't ever put your cable jack behind the fireplace. It's completely useless up there.

If you are looking for someone in the Ottawa region to help you with all of this, contact Evan at Moorehouse Media.

http://moorhousehome.ca/
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/