Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2011-05-07, 10:55 PM
Regular User

Default satisfy

I used Amco november 2010. Please with the price, with Ned who did a couple of drawings for me to choose from. All that info sent to me via e-mail. They were on time and he even recommended the type of fence as I am planning to stay here only 5 years.
Old 2011-07-24, 03:28 PM

Default Still Waiting

We had Amco put in a fence last year, and were told that we'd have a 2 year warranty against frost damage. One of the concrete post bases split and the post is now wobbly. It's pulling on the two posts next to it. I've been trying to get Ned to fix it for 3 months now and he just won't do it. He hasn't answered my emails in a while, and when I talk to him he either says that the warranty was for the posts moving, or that the concrete isn't actually broken. I'm still trying, but it's possible I'll have to do the replacement work myself.
Old 2011-07-24, 04:06 PM
Regular User

We ended up not going with Amco because of their odd warranty coverage.

They offered 20 years assuming you were the original owner but if you were not, the new home owners would only get three years. A point was brought up that if one of your immediate neighbours moved out after the three years and there was an issue with the shared fence, would the company still fix the problem. One side has the 20 years coverage but the other side does not. Both neighbours could lose out on warranty coverage...too much of a head ache to figure out. Everybody in our fencing group buy agreed.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2011-07-24, 09:45 PM
Regular User

Interesting. I am going through the same issue with 'Amco'. One of my 4x4 posts cracked where it meets the concrete. Mr. Ned won't fix it either. My fence is less than 2 years old. It's pretty sad how these contractors ruin their reputation over $100.00 or a couple hours of time it takes to replace the $10.00 post. Sad, sad, sad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monquibot View Post
We had Amco put in a fence last year, and were told that we'd have a 2 year warranty against frost damage. One of the concrete post bases split and the post is now wobbly. It's pulling on the two posts next to it. I've been trying to get Ned to fix it for 3 months now and he just won't do it. He hasn't answered my emails in a while, and when I talk to him he either says that the warranty was for the posts moving, or that the concrete isn't actually broken. I'm still trying, but it's possible I'll have to do the replacement work myself.
Old 2011-07-25, 07:58 PM

The guy from Amco fencing were supposed to come and give us an estimate for cost of the fence, explain materials and style. I wasn't home, so he came in and starting drilling the fence holes.

We had previous estimate for that fence with another company - better quality work because they would use 6 panels for the fence.
But the person from Amco drilled the holes for 4 panels of 8 ft + a final 2 1/2 feet and, without even checking the property line and house survey.

We wanted to have 6x6 posts for our gate, he said he won't do that.
We wanted slopped fence, he said he won't do that.
We wanted top lattice, he said he doesn’t like that.

This guy is not aware that it is our fence and we are paying him to do it, he wants to build a fence based on his own preferences, the cheapest way and the easiest way for him.

He did not show us the materials he will be using. Tomrow he is coming, he must use crossing horizontal pieces of 2x4, Planks must be 1x5 or 1x6, the top piece must be minimum 2x4.
Old 2011-07-25, 08:08 PM

Dmmal,
How come you got good review on this guy? He digged holes without showing us the materials and the spacing between the panels, and he wants to do the job as he likes, not as we want. Are you related to this guy? Can't be satisfied from this.
Old 2011-07-26, 12:13 PM
Regular User

We recently did not have a pleasant experience with this company. Our neighbour was collecting the information on fencing companies and decided to go with Amco (we weren't even informed a final decision had been made on the fence). They were not the cheapest quote so we didn't personally want to use them (we never received a contract or proper quote from them....just a number handwritten on a piece of paper put in our mailbox).

We hasn't heard anything regarding the fence in over a month and all of a sudden AMCO showed up and said they were putting the fence in the next day. This really bothered me...shouldn't they have let us know with more than 12 hours notice that they were installing a fence?? We optimally decided to not go with AMCO for our property, but the neighbours used them for the fence separating our properties.

My hubby and father were there during the installation watching to see if they hit any holes, which they didn't. Two weeks after they installed the fence, we got a bill for half of the fence which seperates our property from the neighbours. Not only did they charge us for TWO "rocky holes" but the bill was over $200 more than the "quote" they left us. We sent an email and called AMCO right away to see why the price was so high and they never got back to us! Two weeks later, they showed up at our door wanting the money for the bill! We ended up getting them to remove the charges for the two rocky holes and to adjust the bill price, but needless to say, we were NOT impressed with this company.
Old 2011-07-26, 12:33 PM
Regular User

OMG. What an unreal way to do business!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayton View Post
We recently did not have a pleasant experience with this company. Our neighbour was collecting the information on fencing companies and decided to go with Amco (we weren't even informed a final decision had been made on the fence). They were not the cheapest quote so we didn't personally want to use them (we never received a contract or proper quote from them....just a number handwritten on a piece of paper put in our mailbox).

We hasn't heard anything regarding the fence in over a month and all of a sudden AMCO showed up and said they were putting the fence in the next day. This really bothered me...shouldn't they have let us know with more than 12 hours notice that they were installing a fence?? We optimally decided to not go with AMCO for our property, but the neighbours used them for the fence separating our properties.

My hubby and father were there during the installation watching to see if they hit any holes, which they didn't. Two weeks after they installed the fence, we got a bill for half of the fence which seperates our property from the neighbours. Not only did they charge us for TWO "rocky holes" but the bill was over $200 more than the "quote" they left us. We sent an email and called AMCO right away to see why the price was so high and they never got back to us! Two weeks later, they showed up at our door wanting the money for the bill! We ended up getting them to remove the charges for the two rocky holes and to adjust the bill price, but needless to say, we were NOT impressed with this company.
Old 2011-08-05, 11:29 AM

We just had Amco install our fence. I am very pleased with the work they did. Ned was easy to deal with and the crew was respectful and polite. I couldn't be happier. I have not received the final bill yet, but I expect it to be close to the initial quoted price.

We got cedar fence to replace the cedar fence that was there before. Amco did the removal and reinstall.

The only issue was that there were some bell and Rogers lines that were cut, but it was a locate issue, not the fault of Amco.

Again I was pleased with the price and the quality of the work.
Duncan
Old 2012-03-15, 12:29 AM

Hi

I am Ned owner of Amco Fencing and I decided to join this community to try to answer some questions you might have in regards to fencing and decking.

It is confusing for me to see the post made Fussyowner (unless he is competitor) where she/he claim to wanted 6x6 post and we did not want to do it, she wanted the lattice and we did not want to do it. I been in situation where we get hired by one neighbor and when we go to do the fence other neighbor comes out saying what are you guys doing which maybe the case with Fussyowner.

Here are some pictures of how we do our estimates and invoicing.

If you have any more questions you can PM me or call 613-858-8442

Ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fussyowner View Post
The guy from Amco fencing were supposed to come and give us an estimate for cost of the fence, explain materials and style. I wasn't home, so he came in and starting drilling the fence holes.

We had previous estimate for that fence with another company - better quality work because they would use 6 panels for the fence.
But the person from Amco drilled the holes for 4 panels of 8 ft + a final 2 1/2 feet and, without even checking the property line and house survey.

We wanted to have 6x6 posts for our gate, he said he won't do that.
We wanted slopped fence, he said he won't do that.
We wanted top lattice, he said he doesn’t like that.

This guy is not aware that it is our fence and we are paying him to do it, he wants to build a fence based on his own preferences, the cheapest way and the easiest way for him.

He did not show us the materials he will be using. Tomrow he is coming, he must use crossing horizontal pieces of 2x4, Planks must be 1x5 or 1x6, the top piece must be minimum 2x4.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sample Estimate.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	9527   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sample Estimate 2.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	9528   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sample Invoice.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	9529   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lattice Sample.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	9530   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sample Slope.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	683.2 KB
ID:	9531  

Last edited by Amco Fencing; 2012-03-15 at 12:33 AM.