Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2012-03-27, 02:40 PM
Regular User

Just wanted to chime in saying we had a bad experience with perfect post hole in barrhaven.

There is a different crew for different areas of the city, fyi.
Old 2012-03-28, 09:17 AM
Regular User

I have decided to make an attempt to dig the holes ourselves because of the tricky location and because fence installers will not go too deep. We need to change the builder's chain link fence that's next to a segmental retaining wall (SRW) on our lot.

Two of our neighbours on that side have loud AC's and seeing that they are reluctant to do anything about it even if we pay (long story) we need to build a better fence that will block the sound. We also really need privacy since being on a higher grade than the neighbours (4') feels like we are on stage.

I am looking at a combination of Mass Loaded Viny/Quietfiber from Acoustiblok to add to the fence. Not sure what kind of fence - still need to figure out the posts. The hole requires that we dig into the fill of the SRW which requires that we cut a section of the geo-grid where the post will be. I spoke to the wall supplier (unilock) and as long as we don't damage the geo-grid outside the posts location we are ok.

I want to dig the hole 3' below the bottom of the wall (tricky part) which means a 7' hole from grade. After researching, any other way can compromise the integrity of the wall.

I was thinking in cutting a sonotube in sections and start pushing it in the ground as we dig since as soon as we get to the gravel section it's going to start filling the hole.

Has anybody done this before? I want to use commercial grade steel posts since after we do all this work it better last a long time. Any idea on a supplier? Can you actually buy a 14' post (7' hole, 7' fence).

Also, if we encounter bedrock once we hit the bottom of the wall I am not sure if will be economically feasible to go any further. sigh...

--------------------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/funrabbits

http://sunburstmirror.blogspot.com

Pictures from Model Homes:
http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...ead.php?t=6930

CBC Marketplace show on Spray Foam
http://www.cbc.ca/news/spray-foam-in...able-1.2224287
Old 2012-03-28, 05:15 PM
Regular User

Mike83.. any research to share in ordering panels for DIY? I am looking at the same .. get someone to put the posts in and click the PVC panels together myself... assuming you are going PVC? If the posts are done right, the PVC install appears trivial.
Old 2015-05-06, 12:15 PM
Regular User

Bumping this thread.

Can anyone recommend a company (or random people) who do great job at digging for fence posts? I'm looking for someone to do the digging and the setting of the post. I would supply the material.

Also, if you have any quotes per hole / post setting, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 2015-05-07, 12:01 AM
Regular User

Do you have a ballpark figure on what you'd be willing to pay for this? I'm talking labour only.

Old 2015-05-07, 08:22 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkStnBerk2 View Post
Do you have a ballpark figure on what you'd be willing to pay for this? I'm talking labour only.
Well, I've received such a range in prices, from:

- $20 a hole (I would supply all material)
- $30 a hole and set (I would supply all material)
- $120 a hole and set (I would supply only the post)

I like the $30 one as I can buy cement and gravel alot cheaper then $120 X number of holes lol (it's a drastic difference).

What you think? Do you know anyone that you'd recommend?

Thanks,
Old 2015-05-07, 08:47 AM
Regular User

Amco fence has a hole digging service.
Old 2015-05-07, 12:27 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dial59 View Post
Well, I've received such a range in prices, from:

- $20 a hole (I would supply all material)
- $30 a hole and set (I would supply all material)
- $120 a hole and set (I would supply only the post)

I like the $30 one as I can buy cement and gravel alot cheaper then $120 X number of holes lol (it's a drastic difference).

What you think? Do you know anyone that you'd recommend?

Thanks,
I've done many fences, and digging the holes and setting the posts is the most labour intensive portion of building a fence. That being said, it's pretty straight forward.

$30/hole is a fair price, unless you run into problems with the auger. For example, you could run into whatever the heck they backfilled with in your area. I've had this happen to me before, and it can be a huge problem.

How many holes and which part of the city are you in? I may know someone who has a lot of experience as well.

Old 2018-06-07, 03:00 PM

Default Fraud alert: Beware of fence post hole scam in and around Ottawa

Hello Community,
I'm passing this around so that no one falls victim to guy with the following Kijiji ad: Fence and Deck holes, Kemptville ON K0G 1J0.
• He is TIM with Ontario phone no. ending with 9295
• He parades as a fence professional with 15 years experience
• Claims to have a company, but no company name or identification material
• First hour of the job he calls out competitors by name, labels them fake, and bad mouths their job and reputation...I should have taken a cue! NO responsible contractor talks about another while on a job.
• Will insist on cash payment, will tell you upfront HE doesn’t provide ANY warranty to keep his prices low… I was still stupid and went ahead! What can go wrong with digging fence holes right?
• Dug 12 holes for what was supposed to be a simple straight line connecting (to neighbours) fence
• NONE of the posts were lined up straight, He only put up a string AFTER the post were set!
• NONE of the posts had equal spacing! Despite providing him with the fence suppliers manual suggesting 67" between posts), He dug holes ranging from 66" to 48" meaning NO two fence panels will be of equal length, I looked at the other neighbours’ fences and wondered how come they were nice and evenly spaced panels.…given the same ground conditions!
• Blames my cement mix for his poor job. 15 years in the job and claims he’s never seen where cement is mixed with sand and gravel in ratio 1:2:3 to form concrete! seriously? And says if I had used Sakrete mix, the job would have been better...totally and ridiculously laughable! Of Course, a bad workman will always blame the tool!
• Stopped picking up calls after the job and claimed he left phone at home.... but phone was never left at home while negotiating prior to the job.
• I have to pay $1000 to fix the mess he created. Don't pity me though! I decided to go cheap and avoid the pros, I have learnt my lesson the hard way!
• Save your money and go ONLY with recognized names and people that you can verify their previous jobs
• A word is enough for the wise….
Old 2018-06-08, 01:18 PM
Regular User

Thanks for the post. Sucky to hear about your experience...