Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2014-06-17, 11:36 PM
Regular User

I've heard that even though one person may have a great experience with one moving company, someone else may not.

I moved one month ago and didn't have a good experience (due to quote and final price) with one of the companies that was recently recommended in this thread. I'd rather not name them since the thread is more about recommendations.

Seems to be hit and miss in some cases. Although, I'm sure others have had good experiences with the same company I used.
Old 2014-06-18, 03:12 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis&Sarah View Post
We used Adam's Moving based on recommendations made here and from co-workers. They were great. 6 hours from their door to their door.
How much stuff did you have moved and how was the quote compared to the actual? We are looking for someone to just move the furniture and the exercice eqipment.
Ex-Minto Homeowner
Old 2014-07-02, 01:51 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coryl28 View Post
I've heard that even though one person may have a great experience with one moving company, someone else may not.

I moved one month ago and didn't have a good experience (due to quote and final price) with one of the companies that was recently recommended in this thread. I'd rather not name them since the thread is more about recommendations.

Seems to be hit and miss in some cases. Although, I'm sure others have had good experiences with the same company I used.
like to learn.
any experience either good or not good is appreciated.
Old 2014-07-03, 08:59 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
How much stuff did you have moved and how was the quote compared to the actual? We are looking for someone to just move the furniture and the exercice eqipment.
Sorry just saw this now. They gave me an hourly rate, and based on all of our quotes from various companies, they mentioned it would be 8 hours for a 3 bedroom townhouse. However, we also had a crap load of stuff in the basement and no appliances. So I assumed the average case of 8 hours, and it really only ended up being 6 hours.

Last edited by Dennis&Sarah; 2014-07-05 at 10:34 AM.
Old 2014-07-03, 11:39 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandnew View Post
like to learn.
any experience either good or not good is appreciated.
To add to this, at least for recommendations, the (first?) names of the moving crew should be posted. Lots of these companies have many teams/staff, and some may be better than others. One team I had with Gerry's Moving said that they work for another company at the same time (and used to work elsewhere before that too).
Old 2014-07-10, 10:32 AM
Regular User

I ended up using King's Transfer for my move. They weren't great but weren't bad, so I guess my overall assessment would be that they were average. They arrived at 8am and finished just after 5pm for a 3 bedroom townhome which had a bunch of stuff in the basement. Add to that another hour for travel time to/from the warehouse, it was about 10 hours but was charged 8.5 hours at $139/hour for 3 movers. The movers themselves were friendly. They weren't the speediest and took a lot of breaks. There was a $30 charge for wrapping up stuff with plastic. They also provided wardrobe boxes to use for the move. My front step can be a bit tricky to navigate and did notice once that boxes fell off their dolly. There were a few other items in other boxes that broke but I partially blame myself that I should have packed the boxes a little better. There were a few nicks here and there at both of the homes but don't think there was any significant damage to any of my stuff.

Overall, it was pretty much what I expected. I had a lot of stuff including some heavy and awkward pieces. It's a tough job to do. I would probably try another company the next time but hoping I don't have to move for a very long time.

Close date: July 16, 2009
Old 2014-07-14, 01:16 PM
Regular User

We ended end opting out of a moving company as their rates were insane (for those that even answered our emails). We itemized the furniture in the house and were quote 6-8 hrs to move. I should be able to move it all in 4 hrs with 1 other person. Ridiculous.

For anyone looking to move them self....HD have 16ft cubes that are yours for $66 for an 8 hr day with 100km and if you use it during the week unlimited mileage. Best price I have found by far.
Ex-Minto Homeowner