Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2011-09-22, 12:27 AM
Regular User

Lightbulb

Glad I noticed this thread & NO to steam mops on hardwood!!!

Vintage makes a great hardwood cleaner which I highly recommend & you can also buy it online from their website
& the price is pretty good with shipping included. It does not leave any residue! http://www.vintageflooring.com/ecomm....php?cate_id=5

Here are some maintenance tips from Vintage & NWFA about using steam mops, vinegar, etc. www.vintageflooring.com/product_sde_7.php
http://hardwoodfloorsmag.com/article...=1486&zoneid=3

Here are some pics of damaged pre-finished hardwood floors by a steam mop

A prefinished solid wood floor and baseboard show damage caused by repeated use of a steam mop cleaner.

A prefinished solid wood floor damaged by repeated use of a steam mop cleaner.

Gray lines along the edges of these boards are damaged resulting from a steam mop cleaner.
Old 2011-09-22, 06:52 AM
Regular User

patrob pic links dont work they work now for me also

Last edited by good2know; 2011-09-22 at 08:40 AM.
Old 2011-09-22, 07:25 AM
Regular User

They do for me!
Old 2011-09-22, 08:23 AM
Regular User

They worked for me too
Old 2011-09-22, 02:19 PM
Regular User

I have a Lauzon brand hardwood floor I have purchased their Lauzon floor cleaner and there is a white/cloudy film...Has anyone ever heard of Aquashine for hardwood floors I was told it was a good product? Also VIM for HArdwood floors? Anyone know if either will work, I am tired on buying products that just don't work....I guess I will have to try what Patrob is sugesting.
Old 2011-09-22, 02:27 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33Kennedy View Post
I have a Lauzon brand hardwood floor I have purchased their Lauzon floor cleaner and there is a white/cloudy film...Has anyone ever heard of Aquashine for hardwood floors I was told it was a good product? Also VIM for HArdwood floors? Anyone know if either will work, I am tired on buying products that just don't work....I guess I will have to try what Patrob is sugesting.
I've contacted the owner of the hardwood flooring company that installed ours, and told them that I wasn't happy with the cleaner. Actually, I emailed him three times about it - I had the same complaints, cloudy, streaky and residue. He just said "Hmm, that's weird".
When the other came by, he said that you need to *buff* it with a clean cloth after you use the cleaner/mop.
Sounds like twice the work to me!
Old 2011-09-22, 02:41 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmogrrl View Post
I've contacted the owner of the hardwood flooring company that installed ours, and told them that I wasn't happy with the cleaner. Actually, I emailed him three times about it - I had the same complaints, cloudy, streaky and residue. He just said "Hmm, that's weird".
When the other came by, he said that you need to *buff* it with a clean cloth after you use the cleaner/mop.
Sounds like twice the work to me!
Yes exactly....I have enought to do without doing things twice!!! Have you found something that works well for the floors, I have tried about 4-5 different products!!
Old 2011-09-23, 02:42 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33Kennedy View Post
Yes exactly....I have enought to do without doing things twice!!! Have you found something that works well for the floors, I have tried about 4-5 different products!!
Try the Vintage cleaner, it's excellent, trust me
Old 2011-09-23, 03:33 PM
Regular User

Funny I have Lauzon floors too and they left me a bottle of Bona. I'm on my second bottle now after 10 months and so far so good!

Anyone compared Vintage cleaner with Bona? Bona is swedish so it has that going for it.
Old 2012-02-07, 03:51 PM
Regular User

I didn't try the Vintage cleaner but thought I would post back because I did try the Bona cleaner. It is actually recommended by my floor manufacturer (Eterna). I absolutely love it!! It is non-toxic, biodegradeable, and I can use it in my Rubbermaid Reveal mop. I also love the Bona floor duster pads ~ they pick up dust and pet hair like nothing else I have tried. I have found Bona at Lowes and Home Outfitters so it is easy to get more when I run out.