Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2010-10-05, 04:17 PM
Regular User

I lived in a townhouse where this happened every morning. At 6am or so my neighbor would let their dog out and 5 minutes later it would start barking. The problem was that it was at least 5 minutes of barking before they let the dog back in.

I know how frustrating it can be when all you want to do is sleep. I never said complained or said anything but I sure dont miss it now!
Old 2010-10-05, 04:56 PM
Regular User

I'd complain in a civil manner.

Doesn't matter if it's 1 minute or 5 minutes...if it's before 7am (when most people are still sleeping), it's rude and inconsiderate. People need their sleep and ruining it by letting your dog bark outside unattended or leaving it in the back yard while you go back inside (to sleep, make coffee, whatever) is not the answer. Get an anti-bark collar for the mornings if you need to let it out to do its business.

Doesn't create a good neighbour relationship.
Old 2010-10-05, 06:11 PM
Regular User

the universe is telling you to get up earlier and do pilates
Old 2010-10-05, 06:28 PM
Regular User

I would talk to your neighbour nicely. Don't put an anonymous note because if it doesn't work because the fact that the note is anonymous annoyed them let's say, then if you approach them either for the same thing or because things got worse they will know the anonymous note came from you and it won't make you look good. Most people are reasonable if approached in a civil manner.
Old 2010-10-05, 06:33 PM
Regular User

get a home theatre, crank it up when they go to bed.
Old 2010-10-06, 08:59 AM
Regular User

IMO it sounds like your neighbors are already doing everything they can to minimize the barking by not letting him bark more than 15 seconds. Sure, they could stand by the door and wait for the dog to come back, but if they have young kids, this may not be possible.

Just be glad the dog isn't older and needs to do its business at 2am.
Old 2010-10-06, 10:34 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter Mama View Post
IMO it sounds like your neighbors are already doing everything they can to minimize the barking by not letting him bark more than 15 seconds. Sure, they could stand by the door and wait for the dog to come back, but if they have young kids, this may not be possible.

Just be glad the dog isn't older and needs to do its business at 2am.
What???? The dog is barking and waking up the neighbors. If they can't avoid having the dog do that then maybe they shouldn't have a dog. I could see if it was later in the day but 5:30 is way too early to be allowing your dog to wake the neighbors. When you live in an area where your neighbors are only steps away then the owness is on you to ensure this doesn't happen. If you can't do that (by standing by the door) then don't get a dog. Simple as that.
Old 2010-10-06, 10:41 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerapau View Post
What???? The dog is barking and waking up the neighbors. If they can't avoid having the dog do that then maybe they shouldn't have a dog. I could see if it was later in the day but 5:30 is way too early to be allowing your dog to wake the neighbors. When you live in an area where your neighbors are only steps away then the owness is on you to ensure this doesn't happen. If you can't do that (by standing by the door) then don't get a dog. Simple as that.
Really??? Sorry - but stopping a dog from barking...ok can you please not ever talk or have your kids make a peep when they get up to go to school in the morning and wake me when they cry because they don't want to?

Dogs barking is a natural thing, it's a way of communicating, much like ourselves. These people aren't leaving the dog outside for hours, but much like anyone, we all have different work hours and shifts and much like humans, nature calls to animals too and they must go, and sometimes something alerts them, so they bark to let you know "hey, I heard something, but don't worry I barked and scared them" or maybe you left them out an extra 5 minutes so *bark* "hey, remember I'm out here".

I have issue with people who leave their dogs outside all day long in the city, that's cruel, but if I can't put my dog outside for a pee because heaven forbid it wake someone, really? Your car starting up in the morning might wake me but we do live in the city, it's not quiet...you want quiet you go to the country.

*Not a personal attack here, just a personal opinion*
---------------------------------------------------
Valecraft: Marseilles II End - Trailwest
June 12, 2014

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
Caivan: Series 1, Plan 2
June 4, 2020

Old 2010-10-06, 11:17 AM
Regular User

I actually agree with Gerapau here. I have seen a lot of people over the years take their dogs out for a mini walk in the morning before leaving for work - you rarely hear the dog bark. Why is that? Because they take the time to take the dog out for his/her business and then know when it's time to return home. To me, what his neighbour is doing is the lazy way out by opening the patio door and letting the dog out and waiting for the dog to come to the door and bark to be let back in. I am ready to bet that even if this homeowher tries to minimize the disruption by opening the door as quickly as possible, he or she is not watching the dog to make sure it opens the door before the barking even takes place. I think the owner prefers not to be disturbed by going outside so early in the morning than he or she cares if anyone is awakened by this. I am sorry but at 5:30am I think people have the right to still be sleeping. I might feel differently if it's 8 or 9am but not that early. It's inconsiderate to do that because a large number of people will never be able to fall back asleep at that time. And a car cannot be compared to the echoing sound of a dog barking at that time.
Old 2010-10-06, 11:23 AM
Regular User

Hey, I like dogs. I have no problem with dogs. The problem I have is with the owners. If you have a dog that is barking and waking the neighbors EVERY morning at 5:30 then there is a problem and you should do something about it. If that means standing by the door so the dog can enter without barking then do that. If it was something that only happened from time to time then that would be one thing, but every day?

While I understand that we live in a city and that there are certain noises that may bother you from time to time, letting your dog wake the neighbors EVERY morning at 5:30 is very inconsiderate. And again I say, if you are not willing to try to avoid that then you should not own a dog.