Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2010-11-15, 07:03 PM
Regular User

Cool What upgrade should I get (Tamarack) ?

So i am at the stage where I am going to the design center to pick out some upgrades. I was just wondering if you we're with Tamarack (or not), what upgrades did you get and what where the most important. It would also help me if you specifically helped by looking at my floor plan and tell me what you would get personally and where you would put pot lights.
Bradbury:
Floorplan: http://www.tamarackhomes.com/homes.p...ID=7&homeID=27

So basically any ideas would really help.
Thanks
Old 2010-11-15, 07:26 PM
Regular User

Hi FC01,

If you search the forum for "tamarack upgrades" and you search all posts by "StrayCat" (me lol), there are several posts where I talked about upgrades and upgrade prices. In one post I listed every single upgrade I did with the price for each....should be quite helpful to you. I did not do any structural upgrades though. If I find the thread I will come back and update this reply with the link but I am busy for most of the evening...though I am sure I'd be happy to take a break between marking each paper to browse buildinghomes.ca.....lol

Tartan Royal Edward
Findlay Creek
Closing: November 28th, 2013

Old 2010-11-15, 08:52 PM
Regular User

thanks straycat
Old 2010-11-15, 11:53 PM
Regular User

FC101: first off - congrats on the bradbury. you'll love it. we have been in our Bradbury since Nov 2010. i don't really know where to begin since there are definitely a lot of do's and dont's for upgrades. We love many and in retrospect, made some mistakes. if you have specific questions pertaining to the Bradbury, i'd be more than happy to help. PM me or post here.
Old 2010-11-16, 06:57 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by findlaycreek01 View Post
FC101: first off - congrats on the bradbury. you'll love it. we have been in our Bradbury since Nov 2010. i don't really know where to begin since there are definitely a lot of do's and dont's for upgrades. We love many and in retrospect, made some mistakes. if you have specific questions pertaining to the Bradbury, i'd be more than happy to help. PM me or post here.
Thanks for the reply. We are very excited.
So these are a few questions that pop up in my mind. First off, how many pot lights did you get done in your home? Also should we get air conditioning and central vac from the builder or wait until we move in? Third question is if you got your alarm system from alarm bridge, do you think they're good and if not where would you recommend getting one. My last question is what are upgrades that you think are popular, and which upgrades do you find really important.

I appreciate your help!
Thanks
Old 2010-11-16, 09:11 PM
Regular User

- We are doing the pre-wire for the alarm, but not getting a system yet.
- We are not getting the AC or central vac through the builder. Doing it later will give us more options.

- You should think about getting the "safe and sound" doors for some rooms. We are putting them on the laundry room, main bathroom, master bedroom and powder room.

- Pot drawers

- Deeper cabinets above fridge.

- I don't know what the upgrade is in the Bradbury model pantry, but if you put a fridge in there, make sure you have enough room to open the door fully (the one in the model doesn't).

- recessed bottom upper cabinets

- consider if you want to have a couple of glass doors in your upper cabs in the kitchen

- if you are going with laminate countertops, consider deleting the backsplash.

- soffit plug outside for Christmas lights

- pot light above shower and bath tub.

- UPGRADE YOUR SHOWER DOORS. The standards are ugly, and you're buying a gorgeous house.

- delete towel and toilet paper holders.

- gas line for the barbecue.

That's all I can think of for now, but my progress thread has some nice suggestions from other people: http://www.buildinghomes.ca/communit...light=lakewood

First closing date: June 30, 2011.
Old 2010-11-16, 09:29 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume View Post
- We are doing the pre-wire for the alarm, but not getting a system yet.
This isn't required and is a waste of your money. Every alarm installer I asked for quotes from only cared about the 2nd floor. The only thing I would recommend is if you want wired motion sensors on the 2nd floor, that you have a conduit pipe that runs from attic to basement (if this is not included) where the utility section is. In fact, this is a good idea for any sort of cable runs (additional TV, ethernet, etc) as well. We got our alarm through Protectron and it was no problem getting wired motions on the 2nd floor because of our preinstalled conduit. We did not get the alarm pre-wire (approx $450!), money well saved.

Quote:
- We are not getting the AC or central vac through the builder. Doing it later will give us more options.
Just make sure you specify where you want it finished so they will put an electrical outlet for the CV there. The one thing I would ask for through the builder is the vac pan in the kitchen, it would not be fun to ask for it to be done after, especially if they will have to go through tile to install it.

Quote:
- if you are going with laminate countertops, consider deleting the backsplash.
Also consider deleting the laminate countertop lip. Unless that is what you meant by backsplash?

Quote:
- soffit plug outside for Christmas lights
Great idea!

Quote:
Definitely a good idea. In fact, I'd ask for keyless fixtures for all the bathrooms unless you like the standard vanity lights.

Quote:
Another good idea. It was standard with our builder but definitely a good idea.

Last edited by goofball; 2010-11-16 at 09:31 PM.
Old 2010-11-16, 09:43 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofball View Post
This isn't required and is a waste of your money. Every alarm installer I asked for quotes from only cared about the 2nd floor. The only thing I would recommend is if you want wired motion sensors on the 2nd floor, that you have a conduit pipe that runs from attic to basement (if this is not included) where the utility section is. In fact, this is a good idea for any sort of cable runs (additional TV, ethernet, etc) as well. We got our alarm through Protectron and it was no problem getting wired motions on the 2nd floor because of our preinstalled conduit. We did not get the alarm pre-wire (approx $450!), money well saved.
My husband has his own plans for home automation, that's the main reason we are getting it now.

Quote:
Just make sure you specify where you want it finished so they will put an electrical outlet for the CV there. The one thing I would ask for through the builder is the vac pan in the kitchen, it would not be fun to ask for it to be done after, especially if they will have to go through tile to install it.
Yes and yes. I'm getting a vac pan in the kitchen and one upstairs.

Quote:
Also consider deleting the laminate countertop lip. Unless that is what you meant by backsplash?
Yeah, that's what I meant.

First closing date: June 30, 2011.
Old 2010-11-16, 10:08 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume View Post
-We are not getting the AC or central vac through the builder. Doing it later will give us more options.

Totally agree....I bought a Dyson and love it so much. I did get the central vac rough in just in case but the Dyson is AMAZING!
As for AC, I joined a group buy here on this forum and ended up paying only approx. $1850 compared to the nearly $4000 the builder was asking!

- Pot drawers

All my bottom cabinetry is pots/pans drawers with the exception of the ones I could not make such (under the sink) and it is the best upgrade ever!!!

- Deeper cabinets above fridge.

Good upgrade but I still cannot reach mine without a stepping stool...lol...but it looks better. IN getting deeper cabs above the fridge, you will most likely want to add an extra panel on either side of the fridge too and that'll cost you about $500.

- recessed bottom upper cabinets

I did this ($339)and had the under cab lighting done as well for an extra $400 or so...love this too!

- UPGRADE YOUR SHOWER DOORS. The standards are ugly, and you're buying a gorgeous house.

Definitely agree! I upgraded my shower doors to the Maax Kleara doors for $450 and they look great. At first they were really annoying cause they are difficult to open and make a lot of noise but once you get the hang of them, it's not bad at all!

Yep, those things are ugly and I got some nice and not too expensive ones at the huge Wal Mart on Innes (about $12-$15 each).

When I did my AC the same company was only going to chare me about $200 for this and I didn't do it (don't ask!!!)...regret it now. Don't remember how much the builder was charging at the time.

Some other upgrades I also did:

-smooth ceilings ($2000!! and they don't look great...I don't regret it though cause I don't like stipple at all!)

-Full extend drawers and soft closing mechanisms (on all doors and drawers)...don't remember the price but somewhere near about $700 I believe.

-Upgraded bar-pull cabinet hardware throughout the house (except laundry room) for about $500.

-Berber carpet (the lowest grade of the upgrades). It cost me about $1400 and it looks fantastic and I have had no issues with it but it stains like crazy!! My cat barfed on the basement carpet 3 times since we moved in and so did my daughter the first weekend we were here and I cannot get the stains out completely!

-I upgradeed all the interior door profiles to the two-panel square for about $7 per door...LOVE this upgrade!

-The pantry door was upgraded to a 5 panel glass insert door for about $250 and no regrets there...makes the kitchen area seem less stuffy.

-White mantle...cannot remember the price but I LOVE it!

-I upgraded my cabs throughout the house to shaker style and I also upgraded the color in the kitchen (traditional white). Will have to look at the cost...cannot remember exactly.

-Hardwood floors are lowest level of upgrade (birch: Pacific Arabica stain) for about $1000 I think.

-Upgraded tile layout...very inexpensive and looks great! ABout $100 total for the whole house.

-Upgraded grout colors throughout for set price of $99 per floor.

Tartan Royal Edward
Findlay Creek
Closing: November 28th, 2013

Old 2010-11-16, 10:13 PM
Regular User

If you do the soffit plug, have them add a switch on the inside of the house so that you can turn your Christmas lights on and off at your leisure.

I would go with the installation of the AC afterwards. You can choose where you want the AC unit installed were as the builder will just install it where it's the most easiest for them.
Moved In: April 10th 2010