Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2011-02-13, 12:50 AM
Regular User

Default Noise with Town Homes and Semi-Detached Homes

Hi everyone,

For those of you that have Town Homes or Semi-Detached Homes, can you please give me some feedback as to how much noise transfer you get from your neighbours? Do you find that it is distracting and does it make you regret your purchase at all?

For some background, we're going to be looking for a home in either Barrhaven or Orleans at the end of March and while I would prefer a detached home, I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to find something in my price range. We don't want to go much higher than the mid $300's or thereabouts and while there have been some nice detached homes in that price range that come up, they seem to go fairly quickly and timing seems to be everything as to whether you can get into them before someone else does.

There does seem to be loads of Town Homes on the market in the high $200's and low $300's and they look to be finished quite nicely, so I was thinking they could be an option if we can't find a detached home. My only concern is the noise factor. Is it a big deal? Would it be problematic for my home theatre to actually be used? Can you hear "routine" stuff like people talking, doors closing, bath tubs running, etc? Are some builders better than others when it comes to sound insulation?

Any feedback you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Old 2011-02-13, 07:51 AM
Regular User

I currently have an Urbandale town home in Orleans and can't complaint about noise. The only time I hear noise is went next door put the music very loud.

Hope this help.

Old 2011-02-13, 08:32 AM
Regular User

Richcraft town and Tartan semi - no issues whatsoever
Old 2011-02-13, 08:43 AM
Regular User

We had a Claridge town and we could hear kids rounding upstair and I'm sure could hear ours!! We how have a Tartan Semi in FC and we only hear the neighbours when they are hang pictures (hammering nails) on the shared wall. We never hear music, talking or foot steps and they say they never hear ours (I play the music pretty loud sometimes so this shocked me)

Go with someone to the model homes, you go in one and have teh other person go into the other and knock on the shared wall, talk loudly (if the house has no one else in it) and see if you can hear anything. In the end it will come down to the builder and how they builder the house.

Good luck!!

Old 2011-02-13, 08:59 AM
Regular User

I was disappointed in the amount of noise I could hear in the semi I lived in until 2007. It was one of the reasons I moved into a single sooner than expected. Could hear lots of stomping around on the hardwood, doors slamming and sometimes music, but generally no voices. Maybe I just had a loud neighbour as many others I spoke to on my street at the time did not have issues. I have also lived in a townhome built in the 70s and the sound proofing was better than the semi I lived in that was much newer. It will really depend on your neighbours. The 70s townhome I heard one side all the time and the other side I only heard when he moved out and when his favourite team won the stanley cup one year.
Old 2011-02-13, 10:59 AM
Regular User

Thanks for the replies everyone, it helps a great deal! I suspect if we go this route we'll also look for an end unit as I imagine that would also help. It did seem like many of the town homes are very well finished for their price, so that helps to offset any minor issues that may come with some noise the odd time.
Old 2011-02-13, 11:09 AM
Regular User

We are in a Braebury town and no noise. One thing to look for something like we have. We have a street corner unit (so 3 times the normal yard) and our stairs are on the exterior wall. The neighbours stairs are facing the other unit so we never hear anything.
Ex-Minto Homeowner
Old 2011-02-13, 01:10 PM
Regular User

We had a Claridge townhome and our neighbour was a fairly heavy smoker. Our kitchen stove vents seemed to be connected so we found that sometimes the area around our stove smelled like an ashtray. Not pleasant for two non smokers - especially in the kitchen area. Noise was never really an issue though for us.
Old 2011-02-13, 02:01 PM
Regular User

I live in a Mattamy urban townhome and there has been fairly little noise transfer between units. I hear occasional thumps and doors slamming. I never hear talking or loud music unless one of us has the window open (providing the noise an entry point other than transferring directly through the walls). Sometimes I can hear water running, but only when it's very quiet.

All the same I think my next house will be a single-detached with a basement, as I enjoy woodworking and would like the freedom to be able to run power tools like a sander or router (or for that matter to watch a late-night action movie) without worrying about annoying my neighbors.
Old 2011-02-13, 03:30 PM
Regular User

Hi everyone,

Yeah, a detached home is our preference. That said, if we can't find one in our price range, I think I'd rather get a well appointed and finished town or semi, as opposed to a dated detached for the same price. I don't really want to do a bunch of reno's right after we move in, etc., and I think I could live with the occasional noise. I was mainly worried that a semi or a town would drive me nuts given that we are coming from a detached home in our current city.

Allot will depend on what s available when we come out to look for a home so I just want to make sure I have all the options covered and that I'm aware of what the various pros and cons are, etc.

Thanks for all of the feedback!