Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2011-04-03, 05:50 PM
Regular User

Default Half Moon Bay - Spacing between homes

We were told buy Mattamy that the spacing between homes is 8 feet. However, walking around the existing neighborhoods in HMB, it looked like there was only about 6 feet between many homes (we didn't use a tape measure, just counted my footsteps).. Can any existing home owners confirm the distance between the houses?
Old 2011-04-04, 09:53 AM
Regular User

Mattamy appears to place houses on the lots with the minimum allowed distance (maybe 2 feet?) on one side with both houses being close to the lot line. This leaves the other side of the lot varying depending upon the width of the house. Net is that you will see a very narrow (4 foot?) opening on one side and a wider opening on the other side.
Old 2011-04-04, 09:57 AM
Regular User

If there are windows facing each other I believe it's 4 ft., if there is not then it's either 6 or 8 ft. between the houses.

Old 2011-04-04, 01:18 PM
Regular User

Is it just me or do Minto and Mattamy homes seem to have the smallest spaces between their single homes. I've seen some in Barrhaven that you can't even pass a lawn mower between them, the owners have resorted to just putting gravel between their houses. One of the reasons we chose to go with Monarch, although their newer single homes currently being built are getting closer and closer together also......all part of making as much $$$ as possible per development site I guess.

I have a 2009 50' lot Monarch home in Stonebridge and there is at least 12-14 feet on either side of my neighbors.
Old 2011-04-17, 10:58 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebdo27 View Post
Is it just me or do Minto and Mattamy homes seem to have the smallest spaces between their single homes. I've seen some in Barrhaven that you can't even pass a lawn mower between them, the owners have resorted to just putting gravel between their houses. One of the reasons we chose to go with Monarch, although their newer single homes currently being built are getting closer and closer together also......all part of making as much $$$ as possible per development site I guess.

I have a 2009 50' lot Monarch home in Stonebridge and there is at least 12-14 feet on either side of my neighbors.
I have to agree with your observations.

I helped a buddy move into his new dig at Half Moon Bay yesterday. It's the Westlynn model with Mattamy and while the interiors are very nice and spacious, there is hardly any space between his home and the ones beside.

The backyard is also tiny as well, I am not sure there will be any space left he decides to put a shed there.

It will be interesting to see the final product i.e. when Mattamy put the sod down and pave the driveway. I like Mattamy floor plans and the attractive base price but other factors are definitely a concern.
Old 2011-04-17, 12:30 PM
Regular User

In driving through HMB, I definitely agree that there is not much spacing in between the homes.
I'm actually quite shocked at how little space there is. I've seen where one person has an AC unit installed, and you could barely walk past without having to walk sideways to do so.

Old 2011-04-17, 12:32 PM
Regular User

if you are talking about 30 to 35 ft 'widelots' then thats what you get

they are good at marketing
Old 2011-04-17, 01:32 PM
Regular User

The width of the Westlyn (Mattamy) is 17'2" + 18'0" = 35'2". Its lot size is 43'. So it has 7'8" left.
The width of the Springbanks (Mattamy) is 18'4" + 16'4" = 34'8". Its lot size is 43'. So it has 8'2" left.

The width of the Aspen (Monarch) is 18'4" + 12'2' = 30'6". Its lot size is 40'. So it has 9'4" left.
The width of the Nantucket (Monarch) is 14'0" + 16'0' = 30'0". Its lot size is 40'. So it has 10' left.

The space between houses will be unchanged unless the builders change their house plans or the lot sizes.
Old 2011-04-18, 11:07 AM
Regular User

i find it funny sad when I see two single homes beside each other with only a few feet spacing and there are actually windows on that side. It's like what's the point, you might as well of keep a solid wall to reduce heat/cooling loss than the have a window overlooking some else's siding.......
Old 2011-04-19, 06:29 AM
Regular User

I've seen Mattamy ads for 30 feet lot. I wonder how tight it will be?

My buddy has a couple of kids, I just hope there is enough backyard space for them to play.