Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2011-04-19, 09:50 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebdo27 View Post
i find it funny sad when I see two single homes beside each other with only a few feet spacing and there are actually windows on that side. It's like what's the point, you might as well of keep a solid wall to reduce heat/cooling loss than the have a window overlooking some else's siding.......
I'm in a Tartan and I feel like I'm sitting on my neighbours. Doesn't help that they allowed the same model/flipped elevation to be built next to us, therefore ALL of our windows on our common side look directly into one another's house. Talk about being ticked off... There should be some regulation against that.
Old 2011-04-19, 01:36 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmogrrl View Post
I'm in a Tartan and I feel like I'm sitting on my neighbours. Doesn't help that they allowed the same model/flipped elevation to be built next to us, therefore ALL of our windows on our common side look directly into one another's house. Talk about being ticked off... There should be some regulation against that.
When my parents were buying our house back in the 80's this use to be a requirement for most developments. Only certain models and elevetion could be built on certain lots (this was in Orleans) to keep from haveing 10 popular models and elevations all built beside each other. I guess that has gone out the window with any other controls the city use to have, now the developers have all the $$ and the power.
Old 2011-04-19, 02:02 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebdo27 View Post
When my parents were buying our house back in the 80's this use to be a requirement for most developments. Only certain models and elevetion could be built on certain lots (this was in Orleans) to keep from haveing 10 popular models and elevations all built beside each other. I guess that has gone out the window with any other controls the city use to have, now the developers have all the $$ and the power.
Most developments require that your exterior selection package is different from your neighbours on both your immediate sides, and that your elevation is different (however, if a house is popular, they won't restrict people from building two or three of the same houses beside each other).

Also, house elevation designs are become less and less imaginative. Different elevations in the past meant windows that were in drastically different locations, or rooms that were drastically different.

We own the same house as our neighbour and four of our windows (study, kitchen, two upstairs bathroom) align exactly. Not ideal, but it could be worse. I'd rather have windows with some sunlight coming in, then have solid walls all over like when I was in a row townhome.

Old 2011-04-19, 02:13 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_ottawa View Post

We own the same house as our neighbour and four of our windows (study, kitchen, two upstairs bathroom) align exactly. Not ideal, but it could be worse. I'd rather have windows with some sunlight coming in, then have solid walls all over like when I was in a row townhome.
Way to look on the positive side re:light let in vs solid wall. Just makes me get those windows dressed quicker!
My friend lived in Fairwinds and said Mattamy still had a restriction that didn't allow windows to align exactly.
Old 2011-04-19, 04:48 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Hi Cosmogrrl,

Ageed - those windows will be a bit tricky. Although, I have heard that you may have outstanding neighbours!!

Seriously though, the homes are beautiful, but the lots are just tiny.
Old 2011-04-19, 04:57 PM
Regular User

Quote:
When I lived in the States it against the regulation to have common windows. I agree that the number of the same house should be restricted