Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance

Home Owner Tips, Upgrades and Maintenance General information on what to do with your new home. Garden, yard, driveway, basement finishing, and everything in between.

Old 2011-07-18, 09:39 PM

Default Touching up builder's paint

I did a search and found nothing and this makes me think this just isn't done (or I'm nuts)

I was just wondering if anyone has had success with touching up builder's paint. I have figured out my home was painted with CIL's 'Eldorado Tan - 662' and I am selling soon, but like any home that's been lived in, some paint touch ups wouldn't be such a bad thing.

Any tips on the brand and type of paint to use (I assumed cheapest I can find)?

While I'm here, anyone know what paint is best to use to touch up trim and baseboards?

Or is it best to assume that the new owners will probably overlook the dings and scratches (and awful paint colour) and will be repainting themselves?

All advice is appreciated!
Old 2011-07-18, 10:05 PM
Regular User

While we had our previous house professionally painted (from the builder's standard CYW Coconut Milk), when we left we patched holes but did not paint.
I actually wanted to repaint walls for the showings, but my agent advised me not to. Said people know what they are buying and they will likely change the paint colour. What I did leave, was a list of paint colours and paint chips for all the paint in the house
On another note, my friend is getting ready to list, and her agent has suggested an extraordinairy amounts of work for her to do. Her house is amazing and beautiful and new. Depends on who you talk to, I suppose.
Old 2011-07-18, 11:14 PM

That's true you can patch holes but since it's builders paint, I have no swatches or leftover paint (it congealed into a solid mass)... I think our real estate agent (a friend my husband is approaching tonight) will probably advise not to paint but the real crux of the matter is that one of my cats likes to race down the hallway and jump up the door jambs and her nails will catch as she slides down (really annoying, esp since she an otherwise calm cat).

Considering the awful colour (it looks peachy here on cloudy days - ick) I figure the new owners will just repaint the place. I think it's my pride that is insisting that I paint.

Thanks for your input!