Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2011-05-22, 08:26 AM
Regular User

Default Bytown Fence?

Anyone have any recent experiences with Bytown Fence? Good or Bad..

We are thinking of going with them for our Cedar fence and would like to get some reviews before we actually sign a contract.

We have a couple more quotes (Amco, Yard Guard) - we heard good things about Amco, but it has been a frustrating process to even get a quote with Ned - he took over a week to get to us with a quote and won't answer any of the questions we have. So we are hesitant to go with him..

Yard guard - got a quote immediately, but terms/conditions on the quote sheet scared us off...

Anyone have any more recommedations for fencing companies?
Old 2011-05-22, 09:27 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by solanabuyer View Post
Yard guard - got a quote immediately, but terms/conditions on the quote sheet scared us off...
What were the terms/conditions that scared you off? Two of our neighbours went with them.

Myself and three neighbours are going with Absolute Project Management
Old 2011-05-22, 10:24 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianapex View Post
What were the terms/conditions that scared you off? Two of our neighbours went with them.
There were about 10 terms/conditions - it is all probably standard legal speak that comes with every contract. So, we asked for some clarifications and haven't heard back yet.. I wouldn't say we have totally ruled them out - we would be fine once we receive the clarifications.

Your neighbours were happy with Yard guard?

How has your experience with Absolute Project management been?
Old 2011-05-23, 09:33 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by solanabuyer View Post

Your neighbours were happy with Yard guard?

How has your experience with Absolute Project management been?
Haven't asked the neighbours about their experience with Yard Guard...their PVC fence looks good though.

We are all happy so far with the price quote and work to date of Absolute. The weather these days does not work well with fence building so the process has been slow.
Old 2011-05-23, 10:07 AM

My condo used Bytown Fence to replace the original fence with red cedar. They did a nice job, no complaints
Old 2011-05-23, 02:37 PM
Regular User

My neighbour is manning our fencing group buy but Bytown Fence was here last Thursday and we're waiting for his price quote. I can post back once I get something.

Amco was one of the first copmanies my neighbour contacted and Amco seemed pretty quick. I sent him an email asking him to make one change for me and he did it within a few hours and re-submitted the price quote.
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2011-05-23, 04:34 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
My neighbour is manning our fencing group buy but Bytown Fence was here last Thursday and we're waiting for his price quote. I can post back once I get something.

Amco was one of the first copmanies my neighbour contacted and Amco seemed pretty quick. I sent him an email asking him to make one change for me and he did it within a few hours and re-submitted the price quote.
Wow! It is funny how different people's experiences can be

I had sent Amco a change to our specs 3 days back and I haven't heard back at all! It took him so long to get back with a quote that we called him and asked him if he was even interested in doing our fence.. We have now given up on him ..

Bytown came back with the quote the fastest and had the best price - let me know how your Bytown experience goes..
Old 2011-05-24, 11:40 PM
Regular User

My neighbour gave me a hardcopy of the price quote he got from Bytown today. Unfortunately, the price quote between Amco and Bytown is not a good comparison. With Amco, there are four houses listed and with Bytown, there is nine. This is because with Amco, we thought only four houses were interested. However, Bytown is the still more expensive so go figure that one out. I though more houses involved would bring the price down.

I have to phone Bytown to clarify something. He put the fence right down the middle between me and my neighbour and I'm suppose to have more side property so it will probably cost more for me.

So Amco is at ~$56 per linear foot vs Bytown is $58 to $69 per linear foot. I'm not sure why Bytown priced different spans out were as Amco is more consistent.

Now the fun part is trying to get all nine houses to agree on a company.
Old 2011-05-25, 08:48 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
My neighbour gave me a hardcopy of the price quote he got from Bytown today. Unfortunately, the price quote between Amco and Bytown is not a good comparison. With Amco, there are four houses listed and with Bytown, there is nine. This is because with Amco, we thought only four houses were interested. However, Bytown is the still more expensive so go figure that one out. I though more houses involved would bring the price down.

I have to phone Bytown to clarify something. He put the fence right down the middle between me and my neighbour and I'm suppose to have more side property so it will probably cost more for me.

So Amco is at ~$56 per linear foot vs Bytown is $58 to $69 per linear foot. I'm not sure why Bytown priced different spans out were as Amco is more consistent.

Now the fun part is trying to get all nine houses to agree on a company.
Brian,

Is this price for cedar or PVC, because Bytown gave me a pricce quote and it was $110 per linear foot for PVC.

Old 2011-05-25, 09:28 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbend C View Post
Brian,

Is this price for cedar or PVC, because Bytown gave me a pricce quote and it was $110 per linear foot for PVC.
Wow.

My pricing is for PVC, the Tuf Fence product. How many houses are involved? If you're by yourself, then maybe Bytown does have good prices?