Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > York Region > Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan

Markham / Thornhill / Vaughan Arista, Aspen Ridge, Avant, Ballantry, BurOak, Sierra Homes, CastleSquare, H&R, Lakeview, Cathedraltown, Mattamy, Country Wide, Starlane, Esquire Homes, Fieldgate, Forest Hill, Royal Park Homes, Great West, Greenpark, Kylemore, Remington Homes, Silver Valley, Laurier, Madison, Monarch, Liberty, Rosehaven, Sky Homes, Touchstone, Kylemore

Old 2011-12-18, 11:16 PM

Default Looking to buy in Maple and surrounding area

Hi All,

Great forum -very happy to have discovered it! We are looking to buy a detached home in maple or the surrounding area. We have walked through some models and met some builders. When at Tiffany park, they were unclear as to why west of Dufferin is cheaper than east - but thanks to these forums it appears this is because of the go train and the old closed landfill? Is that a concern?

We really like the huckleberry by Tiffany park based on price, layout, and overall design. Any comments on that?

Any advice on the area would be great! It seemed like homes in the area were being bought rapidly at the start of the year, but have seen a slight decline a bit. In fact, Tiffany park said right up front to know there are deals.

If the landfill and go should be a big concern, or even what's available for the price, going east to Bathurst would work too. West towards Weston won't be great though. We like the Dufferin access to the 407 because we work in opposite directions.

Again, any help or advice would be great - our budget is roughly 750 (ideal) to 850 (probably our limit). Thanks!
Old 2011-12-19, 08:07 AM
Regular User

Edge,

When we were searching for our house to buy, we initially started in the Valley of Thornhill area which is Bathurst and Major Mac/ Rutherford. We actually signed an agreement with Fernbrook on their inventory home that was 2900 sq ft...but we backed out of it after finding out that you can get more value just west of Dufferin.

We ended up buying from Medallion Development b/c of the unique layout. While location wise, I think Bathurst would have been better than Dufferin, we bought due to the better value.

I agree with you about the train track issue. That was my initial apprehension too. But, we ended buying a home that is east of Grand Trunk...so, we are about a 1 Km away from the track. I only hear faint honk sounds from the GO train and I am a light sleeper with sensitive ears...so, I am happy about that.

You may want to check out Upper Thornhill Estates...it is also a nice neighborhood. Some of which are million dollar homes like that of Valley of Thornhill.

In case you didn't know, Remington owns a lot of land in both Thornberry Woods (aka Thornhill Trail) and Valley of Thornhill.

Thanks.
Old 2011-12-19, 09:06 AM

Hi khll,

Thanks for your reply! I agree regarding value - it really seems that west of dufferin from Major Mack to Rutherford is very good value right now. Do you ever have any issues with that old landfill? Or is that over blown (so to speak)?

The dream would be a brand new home, or even inventory home as there are less issues with builders screwing things up and living in a construction zone. Yeah we saw a bunch of remington homes - by far our top choice is the "Dominus" model. However they don't have it west of Dufferin, only east.

For Upper Thornhill Estates, which builder do you recommend?
Old 2011-12-19, 09:18 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Hi All,

Great forum -very happy to have discovered it! We are looking to buy a detached home in maple or the surrounding area. We have walked through some models and met some builders. When at Tiffany park, they were unclear as to why west of Dufferin is cheaper than east - but thanks to these forums it appears this is because of the go train and the old closed landfill? Is that a concern?

We really like the huckleberry by Tiffany park based on price, layout, and overall design. Any comments on that?

Any advice on the area would be great! It seemed like homes in the area were being bought rapidly at the start of the year, but have seen a slight decline a bit. In fact, Tiffany park said right up front to know there are deals.

If the landfill and go should be a big concern, or even what's available for the price, going east to Bathurst would work too. West towards Weston won't be great though. We like the Dufferin access to the 407 because we work in opposite directions.

Again, any help or advice would be great - our budget is roughly 750 (ideal) to 850 (probably our limit). Thanks!

Yeah we bought west of Dufferin too because of value and the location is great too in terms of convenience for us. The houses and neighbourhood are much nicer looking east (you have to pay a premium to get your house to look close to those east of dufferin ie. better elevation). Dufferin/Rutherford has a nice future plan if they follow through with it (park,library, main street etc). It's really up to what you are looking for and what you are willing to pay.
Old 2011-12-19, 09:28 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Hi khll,

Thanks for your reply! I agree regarding value - it really seems that west of dufferin from Major Mack to Rutherford is very good value right now. Do you ever have any issues with that old landfill? Or is that over blown (so to speak)?

The dream would be a brand new home, or even inventory home as there are less issues with builders screwing things up and living in a construction zone. Yeah we saw a bunch of remington homes - by far our top choice is the "Dominus" model. However they don't have it west of Dufferin, only east.

For Upper Thornhill Estates, which builder do you recommend?
Hello Edge,

I already live in the area, and just bought a bigger house by Medallion. The GO train tracks, hardly noticeable. If you work downtown, you'll appreciate the closeness of the train stations

The former landfill was north west of Dufferin and Majormack. I think that the Wal-mart and Lowes creates a safe barrier for the residence south of Major Mackenzie. The landfill is part of the standard disclosure, so I don't think it's much of a concern... if it is, I hope not to find out for another 20 years.

I think another factor for the cost disparity for the east side of Dufferin, is because it's directly adjacent to Richmond Hill. Home values are affected by other homes in the area as well.
Old 2011-12-19, 09:51 AM
Regular User

According to what several real agents told me, houses on east of Dufferin will always be priced higher than west of Dufferin. And those on Bathurst will always be higher than Dufferin.

I think the general rule of thumb is that the closer to Yonge, the higher the value/potential. i.e areas from Bathurst to Bayview are usually more desirable.
Old 2011-12-19, 10:37 AM

Thanks all! What is interesting is the disparity in pricing even within the west of dufferin, south of major mack, north of rutherford area. There are resale homes in there (4 bdrm, 4 bath, upgrades) for under 700k, and then some much higher.

I think we really are leaning towards a new inventory home or model home.

From what I have heard, these are the recommended builders (all good reputations, though not always in the sales group!):

- country homes (this is more for upper thornhill estates)
- remington homes
- medallion
- ?

Also, anyone know if that Dominus model is available anywhere? The sales lady for remington was useless (the one that everyone on here complains about). For that house, we'd look into a resale!

Thanks!
Old 2011-12-19, 10:55 AM
Regular User

4 bedrooms can range from 2,000 sq ft to 5,000 sq ft. It depends on how big each room is, whether the layout is open or tight, whether there is open to above, frontage, lot size, etc.

Quote:
Thanks all! What is interesting is the disparity in pricing even within the west of dufferin, south of major mack, north of rutherford area. There are resale homes in there (4 bdrm, 4 bath, upgrades) for under 700k, and then some much higher.

From what I have heard, these are the recommended builders (all good reputations, though not always in the sales group!):

- remington homes
- medallion
- ?

Also, anyone know if that Dominus model is available anywhere? The sales lady for remington was useless (the one that everyone on here complains about). For that house, we'd look into a resale!

Thanks!
Old 2011-12-19, 11:10 AM
Regular User

Quote:

- remington homes
- medallion
- ?

Thanks!

I'm watching the homes go up behind me and I like Medallion best, then tiffany (almost the same) and then remington. I find remington uses OSB on their roofs which I do not like (medallion\tiffany are plywood). Medallion uses engineered joists which is better than Tiffany's\remington solid wood. None of them use plywood subfloor as far as I can tell. Otherwise all builds are very similar.
Old 2011-12-19, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdx View Post
4 bedrooms can range from 2,000 sq ft to 5,000 sq ft. It depends on how big each room is, whether the layout is open or tight, whether there is open to above, frontage, lot size, etc.
True, I'm not being accurate enough. We'd definitely like to have a greatroom/family room in addition to living/dining, so that puts us at around 3,000 sq ft. Can do in 2,700 i think, and certainly more. But budget is really "up to 850k", with us being extremely happy if we get 750k. Lot size at 40' is ok, and while a good sized yard would be great, it's more of a 'want' than 'need.'

That dominus model was basically everything we could want - amazing open concept kitchen with huge angled island, cathedral ceiling in family room, walkout basement....for around 750k west of dufferin. Sadly it's no longer available.