Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2012-03-30, 03:16 PM
Regular User

Default Posting pictures of a builder's work

Hi folks,

I'm just wondering, if I wanted to share with the community what a builder's acceptable level of workmanship is, if I was allowed to

a) Name the builder
b) Post Pictures of the work (some being "bad" work)

Without having any problems with the forum rules, or "legal issues".

I'm having a lot of issues working with the rep, and it's clearly the level of workmanship accross the neighbourhood, as I've seem other homes. I think the people have a right to know what to expect from a builder whose reputation is all about "top quality".

I've seen a thread about BAD CEILINGS, with pictures and comments, so I'm guessing this is something I'm allowed to do, but want to be sure before I do so.
Old 2012-03-30, 03:24 PM
Regular User

if you were to post a pic of a named builders work, and ask people what they think I don't see anything wrong with that

its the only way to understand what is considered acceptable / normal standards
Old 2012-03-30, 03:28 PM
Regular User

Exactly. And really, I think the whole point of a site like this, is to help each other make the right decisions and work through the wrong ones. I would like to share with everyone what I was offered as a "finished" product, and what I have to struggle to PROVE is unacceptable (and clearly, any sane person would agree) to try to get resolved.

If this is the type of reputation this builder wants to have, then I will do everything in my power to aid them with this reputation and make sure everyone on here KNOWS what to expect from this said builder, BEFORE being stuck in a purchase agreement.

Last edited by master0068; 2012-03-30 at 04:07 PM.
Old 2012-03-30, 04:16 PM
Regular User

Yes, do it!
Old 2012-03-30, 04:35 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by master0068 View Post
If this is the type of reputation this builder wants to have, then I will do everything in my power to aid them with this reputation and make sure everyone on here KNOWS what to expect from this said builder, BEFORE being stuck in a purchase agreement.
There is a line somewhere. The site mod has stated multiple times that this is not the place to sort out a dispute with a builder.

Sharing information about how your house was built/finished and asking for opinions if people would be satisfied with that is very different People have a right to better understand the quality they should expect and get.

Why don't you share a couple of things that you are frustrated about?
Old 2012-03-30, 06:51 PM
Regular User

I say go ahead......you may spare someone else the frustration that you and alot of the rest of us have gone through with our builders.
Old 2012-03-30, 09:46 PM
Administrator

So anyways...

Sure you can post pictures. I've posted over 45000 pictures of houses under construction, that's how this site got started.. However, all pictures were from the street and not inside the home. I had no problems with that.

If you are posting pictures as a way to try and get back at your builder, or persuade them to do something, then forget it. This is not the place for that.

It will end up with more legal letters that I really don't care to deal with. Legal stuff is for lawyers. So if you have a problem with the construction of your home, involve your lawyer.

Note: There are several hundred messages posted here every day. I don't read them all.
For Your Home - For Your Condo - For Your Office

http://www.phand.ca/
Old 2012-03-30, 11:24 PM
Regular User

be careful, builders can afford to pay high profile lawyers that can make a case against you
Old 2012-03-31, 01:35 PM
Regular User

I wish I could say do it, but, if a builder purposely builds to poor quality standards and then gets offended when someone publicly calls them out on it with visual proof, then it is highly likely that same builder will sink to whatever lows it so chooses and takes legal action against you.
Old 2012-03-31, 11:49 PM
Regular User

Well, all I'm doing is posting pictures of the finishings. I don't see what the problem is with that, I OWN this house, if I want to post pictures of my baseboards, I don't see what the problem is, or how anyone could be in "legal" trouble for doing so.

Speaking of which, From everyone's experience, can you please tell me if the following pictures are warrantable items under the TARION guidelines, they are very gray, and I'd like some advice.

Thanks,

1) Baseboards with excess caulking
2) Severely bowed studs in unfinished basement areas

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/403/img0186y.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/141/img0177wp.jpg/