Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2012-07-19, 10:27 AM
Regular User

This is what my Ensuite Tub has looked like for the past 5 weeks, no call from the Tile company, and the Builder isn't responding to my emails or phone calls.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 2012-07-19, 11:35 AM
Regular User

The tile company can't seem to see how this is unacceptable.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 2012-07-19, 11:45 AM
Regular User

Here is the thing. If the builder has deemed it unacceptable, and issued a work order, then no discussion with sub is required. Its a mess and should be fixed.

As posted above, a conciliation is somethimes needed to get things moving - so just do that when your window of opportunity for that arrives.
Old 2012-07-19, 11:49 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2know View Post
Here is the thing. If the builder has deemed it unacceptable, and issued a work order, then no discussion with sub is required. Its a mess and should be fixed.

As posted above, a conciliation is somethimes needed to get things moving - so just do that when your window of opportunity for that arrives.
Yeah, it seems that may be what I'll have to do. The builder was agreeable for the 30 day walkthrough, but follow up has been less than ideal. We got a good solid week of work done, but following that, the builder has been avoiding returning my emails and calls, so I've been left without any work for the past 5 weeks.

I was willing to let the Builder work period slip past without concialiation, but the way the builder is avoiding responding to me has ticked me off.
Old 2012-07-19, 12:06 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by master0068 View Post
Yeah, it seems that may be what I'll have to do. The builder was agreeable for the 30 day walkthrough, but follow up has been less than ideal. We got a good solid week of work done, but following that, the builder has been avoiding returning my emails and calls, so I've been left without any work for the past 5 weeks.

I was willing to let the Builder work period slip past without concialiation, but the way the builder is avoiding responding to me has ticked me off.

Im going to make a comment here, perhaps its something you need to hear in general in life. Judging by your reaction and attitude towards people with more experience than you trying to help you and advise you, speaking as professionals or from experience, I can only imagine what your interactions with the builder have been like and the fact that they are now ignoring your phone calls and emails is a pretty good indicator. And this is with Tartan who is widely viewed as one of the better/more reasonable tract builders in Ottawa.
Old 2012-07-19, 12:20 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC3125 View Post
Im going to make a comment here, perhaps its something you need to hear in general in life. Judging by your reaction and attitude towards people with more experience than you trying to help you and advise you, speaking as professionals or from experience, I can only imagine what your interactions with the builder have been like and the fact that they are now ignoring your phone calls and emails is a pretty good indicator. And this is with Tartan who is widely viewed as one of the better/more reasonable tract builders in Ottawa.
I've been VERY respectful, patient and easy to deal with, in regards to all my interactions with the builder, and have commended some of the staff (primarily the painters) for their exceptional work.

Even if I would have had some "attitude" with the builder, which wasn't the case, I purchased a product, and am legally entitled to the warranty.

Ignoring someone's calls and emails, is completely unacceptable, especially when those emails are civil, and only requesting an update on the next steps.

But again, you'd rather prosecute me, the homeowner than agree that the Builder is in the wrong.

I'm no longer responding to any of your thread posts.

Thanks,

Last edited by master0068; 2012-07-19 at 12:24 PM.
Old 2012-07-19, 02:07 PM
Regular User

MC3125 - do you know how to add more than one quote in a post? Maybe cut down on the amount of pages here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC3125 View Post
And this is with Tartan who is widely viewed as one of the better/more reasonable tract builders in Ottawa.
Do you own a Tartan? (honest question) I own one and was less than impressed with how mine was delivered to me. Can't help but not exactly keep them at the top of my recommendation list. I've kept track of all service dates to my house and for internal work only we are at 25+ days of work. That's a bit extraordinary, no? I don't know about you, but I have better things to do then sit and wait for trades.

And bcpl (I could *totally* be wrong here), but I thought you had quite a few issues with your Tartan? If so, you've decided to handle it differently. So what. That's your own perogative.

Why doesn't everyone get off of OP's back? Why do you all care so much and get so angry? I've been in his shoes, have felt that rage so I can understand where he's coming from...
Old 2012-07-19, 02:37 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmogrrl View Post
MC3125 - do you know how to add more than one quote in a post? Maybe cut down on the amount of pages here...

Do you own a Tartan? (honest question) I own one and was less than impressed with how mine was delivered to me. Can't help but not exactly keep them at the top of my recommendation list. I've kept track of all service dates to my house and for internal work only we are at 25+ days of work. That's a bit extraordinary, no? I don't know about you, but I have better things to do then sit and wait for trades.

And bcpl (I could *totally* be wrong here), but I thought you had quite a few issues with your Tartan? If so, you've decided to handle it differently. So what. That's your own perogative.

Why doesn't everyone get off of OP's back? Why do you all care so much and get so angry? I've been in his shoes, have felt that rage so I can understand where he's coming from...
Thanks Cosmo. You're a gem.
Old 2012-07-19, 02:45 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmogrrl View Post

**Like!** I totally agree!
Old 2012-07-19, 03:50 PM
Regular User

I've followed this thread for awhile and without getting into the drama, here's my two cents having recently dealt with a new home purchase that would have made you cringe (almost burning our house down 2 days before possession was "minor" compared to NO insulation in various parts of the house that require insulation by code...).

From one homeowner to another, while some people will mock the Tarion warranty, we found it worked in our case.

As soon as you bring an item to concilliation, you all of a sudden get triaged to the "gold elite (ha!)" level of customer service with the builder. It's kind of like calling your telephone company and asking for retention... most know that's the only way to get a new phone/plan, etc.

Bide your time and when your 1 year report for concilliation comes around, put EVERYTHING down. If a Tarion inspection reveals one (1) item on your list that is unsatisfactory, the builder gets fined and you get to hire contractors to do the work at the builders expense.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

We just bought a Tartan semi in Soho, and while we haven't taken posession yet, we feel that the construction thus far is FAR superior to what we saw during walk-throughs of our current house. Further, my parents ordered a custom 1Mish home in Richmond, and they're having issues with their builder. Everyone will have issues - it's whether you're diligent and respectful in resolving them that results in your happiness with your new home.

That's my advice from silly servant home owner to you. Best of luck with fixing your issues.