Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2012-11-12, 11:55 PM
Regular User

For fun, I thought I would check to see if my tiles are crooked also and they are. But I don't think the tile people are to blame. The landing around my tub is crooked also and the tile people simply followed the slope of it.

Two levels, one four feet, on the landing area can't be wrong and an eight inch level on the top of my tiles.

I'm past my two year now but even if I were still under warranty, I don't think I would get them to rip out the tiles around the perimter of the tub and have them reslope the landing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Landing.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	10292   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top of Tiles.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	10294  
Moved In: April 10th 2010
Old 2012-11-13, 02:35 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
For fun, I thought I would check to see if my tiles are crooked also and they are. But I don't think the tile people are to blame. The landing around my tub is crooked also and the tile people simply followed the slope of it.

Two levels, one four feet, on the landing area can't be wrong and an eight inch level on the top of my tiles.

I'm past my two year now but even if I were still under warranty, I don't think I would get them to rip out the tiles around the perimter of the tub and have them reslope the landing.
That's exactly what happened in my case too. The tub deck is crooked.

But everytime I've done a tile job, I use a level line for my bottom row of tiles, and work up from there.

It's mostly an issue because of the glass tile, which has a significant curve in it, and some of them are pretty ugly. As someone else mentioned, it's only a picture, and seeing it in person folks might feel differently.

Etiher way, I didn't think it would trigger a 3 page debate, or anger anyone, and They've already acknowledged the problem and redid the job. (not targetted at you Brian)

I just found it odd that they redid the exact same way, with the same problem after I explained the issue, and suggested they use a level line for the bottom row.
Old 2012-11-13, 04:16 PM
Regular User

Quote:

Yeah, yours is pretty bad too eh?
Old 2012-11-13, 07:43 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by master0068 View Post
But everytime I've done a tile job, I use a level line for my bottom row of tiles, and work up from there.
If they did that then wouldn't the row of grout underneath the bottom row of tiles be higher on one side than the other? That would probably be even more noticeable than the crooked tiles.
Old 2012-11-13, 08:12 PM
Regular User

Quote:
If they did that then wouldn't the row of grout underneath the bottom row of tiles be higher on one side than the other? That would probably be even more noticeable than the crooked tiles.
It shouldn't be grout under the bottom row. They should caulk that instead. They could use a sanded caulk that matches your grout but if they only use grout then it will crack. With the caulk they should be able to get a nice line.
Old 2012-11-13, 10:23 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerapau View Post
It shouldn't be grout under the bottom row. They should caulk that instead. They could use a sanded caulk that matches your grout but if they only use grout then it will crack. With the caulk they should be able to get a nice line.
OK, I see what you're talking about.
Old 2012-11-14, 11:17 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerapau View Post
What he said.

That's how I've always done tile jobs, don't see any other intelligent way to do it.