Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2012-04-13, 09:18 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I'm not too sure why some are suggesting that it's the builder's fault or partly the builder's fault..

My point is - don't try to blame the builder for this..
Don't blame the builder????? He didn't want to rent the tank in the first place, he was willing to purchase his own! Who forced him into the rental contract??? The builder! If the builders weren't involved in what HAS to be a shady kick back scheme with Direct Energy this would not have happened, end of story. So both DE and the builder are scumbags in this situation. It's unconscionable that DE has come up with such a contract, and it's equally despicable that the builders have gone along with it and basically extort customers into signing the contract, not to mention the fact they didn't notify affected home owners of the contract change.

I just called DE a couple of weeks ago and was told it is a $75 fee to get rid of mine (I signed purchase agreement in late 2009). So what are people supposed to do if they signed after Sept. 2010? They're stuck with the rental fee forever? This is ludicrous.
Old 2012-04-13, 09:36 PM
Regular User

Holy crap, I just read this story about DE new contract from last month:

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/busines...881/story.html

They were trying to automatically switch ALL their old customers to the new contract. Apparently, some sketchy form letter was sent out to all customers (not that I can recall getting anything). Apparently, they then changed their minds due to public outcry (http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/ot...642/story.html).

In case anybody had any question whatsoever as to whether or not these guys are complete scumbags... I nearly got stuck with a $1,200 piece of crap tank as well!
Old 2012-04-16, 02:29 PM
Regular User

Just looking at the terms and conditions on DE website. Did this clause help in any way? It seems applicable?

"Your Rights under the Consumer Protection Act, 2002. If this Agreement was entered into in person at a place other than our place of business, a trade show, market place or an exhibition, the following excerpt from the Consumer Protection Act, 2002 applies: “You may cancel this Agreementat any time during the period that ends ten (10) days after the day you receive a written copy of the
Agreement. You do not need to give us a reason for cancelling during this 10-day period. ..."

It's seems like you should be able to get out of it if done right away?
Old 2012-04-17, 08:14 AM
Regular User

springwater..relax...

The builder is selling their homes with agreements with HWT providers for years..probably decades in fact.

If this homeowner did not do their reading of all documents signed before firming up, then that's their problem.

The OP didn't have to buy a new home, and didn't have to buy one from that builder - however there was probably something that attracted them to that community.

Like I said in my post, the builder(s) are trying to build and offer their homes for the most competitive price possible (while meeting internal expected returns). And everyone needs water/hot water (as an example, as it fits in this situation). If, in the interest of cost, the builder leases out that part of the home to a partner who then works with the owner after closing to sell/buy/return whatever the existing tank, then so be it.

The switching contract part in this case sounds sketchy and doesn't sound right or fair, but the builder just did their part by providing the legal documentation that they had to at the time of sale.

...and the purchasers willingness to buy out the tank at any point is great and all, but if the builder does not have a purchase plan or option in place during the build of the home (for whatever reason) then again, that is not the builder's fault. The purchaser needs to know before committing, what means the most to them in this new build and what the builder is willing to offer to meet those needs.
Old 2012-04-17, 05:26 PM
Regular User

Thank god Direct Energy moved out of Ontario. They are a horrible company and good riddance. I'm looking at getting my own Hot Water heater, I can't stand that direct energy charge on my gas bill. They have found a way (such as many large companies) to legalize criminal activities by way of loopholes.
Old 2012-04-18, 12:27 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
springwater..relax...
The OP didn't have to buy a new home, and didn't have to buy one from that builder - however there was probably something that attracted them to that community.

My point is - don't try to blame the builder for this..
You have no clue what you're talking about... The OP "didn't have to buy a new home"? You think that is a reasonable point? Perhaps you don't realize that in cities and provinces across the country people have the grand luxury of purchasing a house without being FORCED to sign agreements to rent standard household equipment from (shady) third party providers.

This situation was somewhat tolerable in the good old days (a few months ago) when "all" it cost was $75 to get the thing removed and get out of your contract (to say nothing of the aggravation of then having to install a new system), but now they are forcing people to buy out the equipment (which in many cases customers do not even want) or suck it and pay the rental fees for infinity. Does that seem like a reasonable scenario to you?

So I have to assume that either you are just totally clueless, don't own a home, and for some reason just enjoying standing up for scumbag companies, OR you work for/own a home building company. Who else could stand up for the home builders in such a situation? It's a disgrace what's going on here, people SHOULD be outraged, and action is required to bring consumer choice and fair business practices to the process of building a new home in this city.

That fact that builders have been doing this forever also means nothing... And the $2k-$5k figure you quoted is equally absurd. Have you ever heard of consumer choice? People buying new homes are intimately familiar with it given the hundreds and thousands of choices required. So why is this same choice not available when it comes to selecting your water heater? What makes water heaters such a temperamental, unique, and special piece of equipment? Why can't builders give new home buyers choice on this front? I guess some people love to rent for whatever reason, so let those people sign up with Direct Energy and get their rental tanks there. For the rest of us, let us pick the type of heater we want (tankless/tank/hybrid whatever) and then take us to the cleaners on the installation and upgrade costs, as is the case with every other aspect of building new. This is of course totally distasteful as well, but at least it follows the same process used throughout the home building process. Everybody (except Direct Energy) would be happy! Builder makes more money and customers get the units they want, aren't forced into a lifelong relationship with shady energy dealers, and don't have to go through the trouble of ripping out and installing a new system after moving into their brand new house!

So who, I wonder, could be the force in the background not allowing free market choice? It's Direct Energy! And who goes along with their extortionate procedures? The home builders! The details behind this relationship I'm sure are not available to the masses, but clearly there has to be something in it for builders. You think they just let Direct Energy extort their customers because it just makes life easier for the builder? Despite the fact there have been countless posts in here alonje about customers fighting with their builder to let them have a choice and not sign the DE rental contract. Clearly there is something more in it for them than just convenience. DE is clearly making millions off this rental scam, so it would only stand to reason that the builders must be getting a cut of this money to allow it to continue - it's called a kick-back, and I would have thought it was illegal...

How would such a scenario make houses cost $2k-$5k more? It would make them cost the identical price for those who want to rent, and for those who want to buy their heater, they choose what they're comfortable spending, they get it installed as part of the build and don't have to screw around after possession, etc., etc. Call someone in Alberta and ask them how new builds work out there. They will give you the above scnenario (minus the rental options as people out there aren't dumb enough to pay rental costs for a water heater).
Old 2012-04-18, 11:20 AM
Regular User

Here's another example of consumers not having any rights for things that are clearly unfair.

I'm sorry to hear about your ordeal, hopefully you can get this resolved.

It seems ridiculous that they charge you a buyout fee, but you end up with... nothing?

I thought we were allowed to have them pick it up and purchase our own (post build).
Old 2012-04-18, 11:40 AM
Regular User

[QUOTE=springwater;224636]You have no clue what you're talking about...

Trust me springwater, I have a very good idea of what I'm talking about.

New home construction, with all its pieces and parts, building code revisions, specification revisions and green specs (ie. Energy Star and LEED) require/force builders to select some items that have to be what they are (ie. high efficiency HWT) to meet those guidelines. As a result, the builder makes the strategic choice to choose what they can source and want to make up the home that they build and offer for sale.

Not everything has to have a choice associated to it. And we're not talking Alberta here, we're talking Ontario where renting, of any tank, provides 'most' people with piece of mind.

And the $2K - $5K cost is associated to most buyout rates that DE shows on their webiste and also makes an assumption that the tank ordered for most new homes these days are high efficiency (tank or tankless).

It's not the most transparent agreement by the sounds of it, but not eveything has to be free market choice..hence don't blame the builder..
Old 2012-04-18, 01:16 PM

I just found out that it will cost me $4,930.19 to buy out my 6 month old water heater from these scam artists.

"Good afternoon,

The cost to buyout your rental water heater will be $4363.00 + hst =$4,930.19. Please bear in mind that you will be responsible for rental charges up to the date the buyout is processed. By buying out your tank, the water heater will be your property and ends the current rental agreement with Direct Energy. If, in the future, the tank is in need of service or repair, Direct Energy can dispatch a technician to assist you; however, as the tank is no longer under the terms of the rental agreement, all service calls will be chargeable to you including diagnostic as well as parts and labour fees. If you would like to proceed with buying out your tank please let us know and we can have it processed for you. This charge will appear, in full, on your next 1-2 Enbridge statements, along with the prorated rental fee.

Thank you,
Billing Enquiries"
Old 2012-04-18, 03:16 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lot 9 View Post
The cost to buyout your rental water heater will be $4363.00 + hst =$4,930.19. ..."
You must have gotten the solid gold tank with diamond detailing for that price!!!