Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.

Old 2014-06-24, 09:14 AM
Regular User

Default 10ft Main & 8 ft Second Floor

Another question from me... seeking for opinions... as I have to make decisions soon for my new home.

I only have budget to upgrade floor height of 1 floor

Would there be too much of a contrast if I end up with 10' Main floor and 8' Second floor?

Anybody have this in their house?

Thanks in advance for your feedbacks.
Old 2014-06-24, 02:50 PM
Regular User

One of my houses was like this... it took me several years to notice if that answers your question LOL
...and the only reason I noticed was because one of my neighbors asked me to measure ours to see if it was the same.
After noticing it, I couldn't un-notice it, but it actually felt more cozy upstairs. I don't think it's always necessary to spend money just because you can and because "it can't be done later".
Old 2014-06-24, 03:38 PM
Regular User

personally I think 10ft on the main level would seem odd...too high. and I like 8ft on the second level for the same reason, it feels cozier
Old 2014-06-24, 04:22 PM
Regular User

I think 10ft on the main and 8ft on the second floor is perfect. The higher the ceiling on your main, the grander, more open, more airy and bigger it feels. IMO it's perfect for the first floor.

As for the second floor, 9ft is great but staying with 8ft is just fine because it makes it feel more cozy.
Old 2014-06-24, 05:25 PM
Regular User

We got 10 ft main floor from the offer, and then we were going through the same dilemna, so we decided to upgrade the second floor ceiling to 9ft also. We have seen model homes with 10 ft ceiling on main floor and they look fantastic, but make sure to upgrade the doors and windows and kitchen cabinet heights also.
Old 2014-06-25, 09:00 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum_ghost View Post
I think 10ft on the main and 8ft on the second floor is perfect. The higher the ceiling on your main, the grander, more open, more airy and bigger it feels. IMO it's perfect for the first floor.

As for the second floor, 9ft is great but staying with 8ft is just fine because it makes it feel more cozy.
Our new home will be just over 3100 sq ft.
I'm leaning towards 9' main and 9' second instead of 10' main 8' second.

I think the difference between the 10' and 8' are too great between the 2 levels.

Does anyone actaully have a 10' & 8' set up?
Old 2014-06-25, 09:01 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellThatsLovely View Post
One of my houses was like this... it took me several years to notice if that answers your question LOL
...and the only reason I noticed was because one of my neighbors asked me to measure ours to see if it was the same.
After noticing it, I couldn't un-notice it, but it actually felt more cozy upstairs. I don't think it's always necessary to spend money just because you can and because "it can't be done later".
So.... if you hav a choice now.. would you go 10'- 8' ? or 9'-9'?
Old 2014-06-25, 09:59 AM
Regular User

10-8 will be much nicer than 9-9...how many guests even visit bedrooms anyways? Personally never felt 8' in bedrooms was too short...now there's a model in our neighbourhood with 12' sunken master suite...THAT makes the mastersuite very grand.
Old 2014-06-25, 12:49 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhassa2 View Post
10-8 will be much nicer than 9-9...how many guests even visit bedrooms anyways? Personally never felt 8' in bedrooms was too short...now there's a model in our neighbourhood with 12' sunken master suite...THAT makes the mastersuite very grand.
Agreed. I would definitely choose 10-8 ove 9-9. Ceiling height is most important on the main level...or basement if you have big plans for it. The bedrooms are fine with 8....although to me 10-9 would be perfect.
Old 2014-06-25, 01:50 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by s16 View Post
So.... if you hav a choice now.. would you go 10'- 8' ? or 9'-9'?
I'd go with 10'-8'. 10' ceilings are pretty darn nice... they make the house feel huge. 9' ceilings don't seem that high to me and I can hardly tell the difference between 8' and 9' so it seems like a waste for both floors to go with 9'.
The only problem I've come across with 8' ceilings in bedrooms is if your kids get bunk beds or loft beds lol