Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > General > Building and Construction

Building and Construction General topics of building a home and the home construction industry.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 2014-06-24, 09:14 AM
s16 s16 is offline
Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 60
Default 10ft Main & 8 ft Second Floor

Another question from me... seeking for opinions... as I have to make decisions soon for my new home.

I only have budget to upgrade floor height of 1 floor

Would there be too much of a contrast if I end up with 10' Main floor and 8' Second floor?

Anybody have this in their house?

Thanks in advance for your feedbacks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 2014-06-24, 02:50 PM
WellThatsLovely WellThatsLovely is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Oakville
Posts: 770
Default

One of my houses was like this... it took me several years to notice if that answers your question LOL
...and the only reason I noticed was because one of my neighbors asked me to measure ours to see if it was the same.
After noticing it, I couldn't un-notice it, but it actually felt more cozy upstairs. I don't think it's always necessary to spend money just because you can and because "it can't be done later".
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 2014-06-24, 03:38 PM
jeffjc jeffjc is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 737
Default

personally I think 10ft on the main level would seem odd...too high. and I like 8ft on the second level for the same reason, it feels cozier
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 2014-06-24, 04:22 PM
Forum_ghost's Avatar
Forum_ghost Forum_ghost is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ontario/Stouffville
Posts: 327
Default

I think 10ft on the main and 8ft on the second floor is perfect. The higher the ceiling on your main, the grander, more open, more airy and bigger it feels. IMO it's perfect for the first floor.

As for the second floor, 9ft is great but staying with 8ft is just fine because it makes it feel more cozy.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 2014-06-24, 05:25 PM
summerwood summerwood is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Thornberry Woods
Posts: 264
Default

We got 10 ft main floor from the offer, and then we were going through the same dilemna, so we decided to upgrade the second floor ceiling to 9ft also. We have seen model homes with 10 ft ceiling on main floor and they look fantastic, but make sure to upgrade the doors and windows and kitchen cabinet heights also.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 2014-06-25, 09:00 AM
s16 s16 is offline
Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum_ghost View Post
I think 10ft on the main and 8ft on the second floor is perfect. The higher the ceiling on your main, the grander, more open, more airy and bigger it feels. IMO it's perfect for the first floor.

As for the second floor, 9ft is great but staying with 8ft is just fine because it makes it feel more cozy.
Our new home will be just over 3100 sq ft.
I'm leaning towards 9' main and 9' second instead of 10' main 8' second.

I think the difference between the 10' and 8' are too great between the 2 levels.

Does anyone actaully have a 10' & 8' set up?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 2014-06-25, 09:01 AM
s16 s16 is offline
Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellThatsLovely View Post
One of my houses was like this... it took me several years to notice if that answers your question LOL
...and the only reason I noticed was because one of my neighbors asked me to measure ours to see if it was the same.
After noticing it, I couldn't un-notice it, but it actually felt more cozy upstairs. I don't think it's always necessary to spend money just because you can and because "it can't be done later".
So.... if you hav a choice now.. would you go 10'- 8' ? or 9'-9'?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 2014-06-25, 09:59 AM
mmhassa2's Avatar
mmhassa2 mmhassa2 is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 235
Default

10-8 will be much nicer than 9-9...how many guests even visit bedrooms anyways? Personally never felt 8' in bedrooms was too short...now there's a model in our neighbourhood with 12' sunken master suite...THAT makes the mastersuite very grand.
__________________
Owner of Artistic Expressions- Dessert tables & more
Haverhill Elevation B
Closed and LOVING the house: June 29, 2012
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 2014-06-25, 12:49 PM
Forum_ghost's Avatar
Forum_ghost Forum_ghost is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ontario/Stouffville
Posts: 327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhassa2 View Post
10-8 will be much nicer than 9-9...how many guests even visit bedrooms anyways? Personally never felt 8' in bedrooms was too short...now there's a model in our neighbourhood with 12' sunken master suite...THAT makes the mastersuite very grand.
Agreed. I would definitely choose 10-8 ove 9-9. Ceiling height is most important on the main level...or basement if you have big plans for it. The bedrooms are fine with 8....although to me 10-9 would be perfect.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 2014-06-25, 01:50 PM
WellThatsLovely WellThatsLovely is offline
Senior Member
Regular User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Oakville
Posts: 770
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s16 View Post
So.... if you hav a choice now.. would you go 10'- 8' ? or 9'-9'?
I'd go with 10'-8'. 10' ceilings are pretty darn nice... they make the house feel huge. 9' ceilings don't seem that high to me and I can hardly tell the difference between 8' and 9' so it seems like a waste for both floors to go with 9'.
The only problem I've come across with 8' ceilings in bedrooms is if your kids get bunk beds or loft beds lol
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stone work done to main floor michel_01 Ottawa 11 2014-05-16 06:43 PM
Temperature Difference Between Main Floor and Second Floor TheGrudge Ottawa 71 2013-01-01 01:42 PM
Cold air returns on main floor PhilD Stouffville - River Ridge, MainStreet and Country Lane 2 2012-06-11 10:24 AM
?? Main floor bathroom of oakrivercorner.. Freeman Ottawa 4 2009-01-24 10:19 AM
Magnolia main floor plan Gillian & Rob Milton - Hollybank 2 2007-01-25 09:01 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:41 AM.



Copyright © PHAND Corporation
This document may not be used elsewhere without the expressed written consent of PHAND Corporation.
*** There is no association between this website and any builder. ***

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.