Go Back   BuildingHomes.ca - Building your community! > Ontario > Ottawa

Ottawa For those in Ottawa, Kanata, Stittsville, Orleans, Nepean. Mattamy, Minto, Bridlewood, Cardel, Claridge, Braebury, Monarch, Barrhaven, Half Moon Bay, Fairwinds, Findlay Creek, Notting Hill, West Pointe, Stonebridge, Edinburgh Common, Uniform at Orchard-Stonebridge-Barrhaven and more!

Old 2018-11-26, 09:54 PM

Default Richcraft in Bradley Commons vs Tartan/Tamarack in Edenwylde

Lightly considering two possible scenarios here.

1. Purchase a Richcraft townhome for in an already developed neighbourhood like Bradley Commons.

2. Purchase a Tartan/Tamarack townhome in a brand new development like Edenwylde.

Two things I am considering, please let me know if there are other things I should be thinking about. The first is what is better, a neighbourhood that is already developed and almost done, or a neighbourhood that is a dirt field in which yoru one of the first homes built. Appreciation is the main factor I am thinking here. The second is which builder of the three above is the best. I got the best impression at Richcraft, followed by Tartan, just given the experience I had at their sales centers.

Thanks,
Old 2018-11-27, 12:48 AM
Regular User

Not exactly answering your question here, but I wouldn’t characterize Bradley Commons as “already developed” nor “almost done” at all. In fact only the first few homes from phase 1 in that neighbourhood have been occupied. They’ve only started selling phase 2 this year, and the last one planned would be phase 4. Bradley Commons and Edenwylde are probably more similar than they are different in terms of their stage of development as they’re only a year or two apart.
Old 2018-11-27, 03:39 PM
Regular User

I bought new in Phase 8 in Riverside South, a single Richcraft home. We bought early in our phase. The dirty roads are a nuisance, constant construction traffic, it's not ideal, but it's really not too bad.

I came here to really give a thumbs up to Richcraft - they have been beyond excellent in terms of post-purchase customer service. When I email them to do something, or ask a question, if it's a weekday (regular business hours), I get a response within 10 minutes - EVERY TIME. I honestly don't even know how they do it...

They have provided zero resistance, always airing on the side of caution and over-fixing things rather than questioning me, it is truly unbelievable customer service. How many times these days can someone actually say that? They book their own workers or contractors to fix work promptly, always show up on time, etc. I have had nothing but a great experience with them and strongly recommend them to anyone considering buying new.

Good luck with your purchase either way!
Old 2018-11-28, 10:46 AM
Regular User

For resale value, it has been my observation that once homes are over 2-3yrs old, there doesn't seem to be a difference in how they're marketed on the resale market. So if you are planning on living in the home for a number of years first I don't think there will be much difference in resale value. The advantage then becomes the lot size, floorplan, and/or location.

Other things to ponder:
- Can you wait 12-24mo to move in to the new build? And can you afford to carry the deposit amount for that long?
- Can you live through the dust and construction traffic?
- Do you have the available vacation days to meet every trade known to man at your house for their deficiency repairs? (For example - I have had over 2 dozen daytime appointments at my house for repairs in the first year and a half we owned)
- How important is picking out all the colors and finishes yourself?
- How much work do you want to have after you move in? New builds require curtains, rods, blinds, garage door openers, all sorts of random things. Older homes might need new paint or other maintenance repairs.

As for builders, I can only speak to Tartan as we haven't built with the others. We are happy with the look of the home and the inclusions. The design center is well laid out with plenty of options, and I found their upgrade prices reasonable (for a builder). Our home had the typical problems you get with contractors and sub-contractors moving as fast as they can...spotty work here and there. What has been the most disappointing thing about Tartan is their customer service. You will need to be prepared to fight for repairs to be done properly - I believe that they rely on homeowners becoming apathetic about repairs and then anxiously await the Tarion deadlines to come and go so they are off the hook. Ultimately, if a Tartan home has the location, layout, lot and price you are looking for, go for it....just go in with both eyes open.
Old 2018-11-28, 11:45 AM
Regular User

Although my customer service experience (with Richcraft) has been night and day different than Sarah's (with Tartan), I wanted to echo all of her valid points regarding new builds.

The dust and construction traffic are REAL. Starting fresh with a new build may sound fun and exciting, but all the little random things you never knew you needed that do not come with new builds, as Sarah mentioned...starts to get annoying after a while. And while Richcraft has been great at booking and scheduling contractors (I've never had to fight them at all, on anything), you do need a very flexible schedule to accommodate all of the appointments necessary to repair deficiencies. This has been a real challenge and is ongoing. All valid points and after going through 2 new builds, I can honestly say I wouldn't do it again. I don't regret it, but I also wouldn't do it again